NAKED RIBS, NO RUB, NO SAUCE!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thats intersting Al! Naked almost goes against everytthing that I have read and done with smoking and grilling. Flavors are always (until this thought) been created and complimented by the smoke. I will have to try this!

Thanks!

Looks great being naked without the rub or sauce. Sometimes it is good to go simple. Bet they tasted great.
But I would have made an excuse to take your sweet ride out again saying I forgot something at the store.
Points to you Al.
Dang. Where the heck was I when this was first posted. Boy did I miss the boat on this one.

Last edited:
I remember this from my first week here.
The ribs look more like chops , so much meat on um. :p

Yea they definitely had some meat on them!
Al

Thats intersting Al! Naked almost goes against everytthing that I have read and done with smoking and grilling. Flavors are always (until this thought) been created and complimented by the smoke. I will have to try this!

Thanks!

I like to experiment & this gives you a base to build from. Now you know what smoke & pork taste like!
Al

I am smoking a 7 lb butt tomorrow...naked!

Mike

I bet it will be good Mike!
Al

Looks great being naked without the rub or sauce. Sometimes it is good to go simple. Bet they tasted great.
But I would have made an excuse to take your sweet ride out again saying I forgot something at the store.
Points to you Al.
Dang. Where the heck was I when this was first posted. Boy did I miss the boat on this one.

Thank you, & yes I make a lot of excuses to go on an errand, usually I try to go without Judy cause she gets upset when I get on it a little too hard!
Al

Thank you, & yes I make a lot of excuses to go on an errand, usually I try to go without Judy cause she gets upset when I get on it a little too hard!
Al[/QUOTE]

LOL. Priceless.

Thanks Al. You've taken the KISS method to a new level. Or maybe back to it's original roots.
Ribs have been my downfall for many years. You've inspired me to give them another try.
I'm thawing a 5# rack of spares that have been in the freezer for a few months. The weather is predicted to be great this week up here in NE Florida so I'll fire up the Lang 60D and give it a go. I may have to go with a bit more heat because the 60 seems to like 250 to 300 and above best. I may even go turbo at 350 just to see what happens.
Also have a question for you Al. It looks like you did them on the lower rack of your 36. Is that right?

Last edited:
Thanks Al. You've taken the KISS method to a new level. Or maybe back to it's original roots.
Ribs have been my downfall for many years. You've inspired me to give them another try.
I'm thawing a 5# rack of spares that have been in the freezer for a few months. The weather is predicted to be great this week up here in NE Florida so I'll fire up the Lang 60D and give it a go. I may have to go with a bit more heat because the 60 seems to like 250 to 300 and above best. I may even go turbo at 350 just to see what happens.
Also have a question for you Al. It looks like you did them on the lower rack of your 36. Is that right?

Yes I did these on the lower rack, but only because I didn't smoke any beans with them.
If I had a pan of beans in there they would have been on the bottom rack & the ribs on the top rack above the beans.
That extra fat from the ribs dripping into the beans really gives them a flavor boost.
Good luck with your ribs!
Al

Thanks Al. Great idea. I guess there's no difference in the ribs between top and bottom rack.
My thought was that maybe the bottom rack being close to the reverse flow plate would crisp up the membrane a bit and make it easier to peel off.
Lately I've been lazy and just heating up some Bush's Bold & Spicey.
Care to share you bean recipe?

I did a couple slabs over the weekend and left the skin on the back of each slab.
I wrapped my leftovers in foil and refrigerated them till lunch the next day. I cut a couple ribs away from the rack and removed the skin fairly easily. There under the skin was a beautiful layer of fat that had congealed and hardened in the fridge.
I took a knife and could scrape the layer of fat off just like skimming a pot of soup or stock after it has a chance to chill. Very nice to see that there, knowing if I leave it on and reheat the ribs that the fat with trapped in flavor is going to be there to redistribute moisture and goodness back into the ribs.
Good to keep the skin on till after your done cooking indeed!

Last edited:
I did a couple slabs over the weekend and left the skin on the back of each slab.
I wrapped my leftovers in foil and refrigerated them till lunch the next day. I cut a couple ribs away from the rack and removed the skin fairly easily. There under the skin was a beautiful layer of fat that had congealed and hardened in the fridge.
I took a knife and could scrape the layer of fat off just like skimming a pot of soup or stock after it has a chance to chill. Very nice to see that there, knowing if I leave it on and reheat the ribs that the fat with trapped in flavor is going to be there to redistribute moisture and goodness back into the ribs.
Good to keep the skin on till after your done cooking indeed!

It's very hard to convince some folks that taking the membrane off before cooking lets a lot of the natural juices escape, but I guess you just confirmed that fact.
Thanks,
Al

Before the site. I never used to take the membrane off the ribs. I would leave it on and make the ribs. It wasn't until the cooking shows and in the site did I start removing it. Stating the flavors from the rub and smoke won't penetrate as good into the meat. Back then the thought never crossed my mind. Even when the ribs were done we never pulled it off. We just left it on and enjoyed the ribs. Its nice to see that people are still leaving the membranes on and doing the ribs that way. When the ribs are done. That membrane is so thin and transparent. If your not paying attention while eating the ribs. You wouldn't even know its there.
Nice to know some are still leaving it on.

I think more people leave it on then you realize. I haven't removed the membrane in a long time.

Chris

Its nice to know that what I thought was wrong. Is actually ok. I'm done taking the time to remove it. Easier to just leave it on. I think more people need express that when doing ribs.
I thank you and Al for brining it more to the light.

Well it was just another experiment, when I left the membrane on & when I saw how much juice was trapped between the membrane & the meat I really couldn't believe it. I've been doing it that way ever since & would not go back to taking it off.
Al

Good looking ribs! I need to try it naked sometime. Still perfecting the sauced process, but that's looking good.

Thank-you!
It's a good way to see how ribs taste naked, then add your rub, and sauce to see the different flavor profiles you can achieve.
Al

I'll need to try that sometime. I put my BBs in with a dryrub for 2 hours, take them out and wrap them in Butcher paper and tinfoil and put some of my sauce to it, put it in for about 90 minutes, take it back out and remove the paper and foil and put it back in for another 45 minutes to an hour. totally amazing and so far never heard any complaints or bad comments about it but have had a lot of good comments on it. Now I'm gona try this naked option once.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky