Much improved chuck roast thanks to you guys

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cornman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
South central PA
We had a chuck roast we picked up on clearance and with more snow in the forecast, I decided to do some smoking today. I also smoked a corn beef for pastrami, but my focus is on the chuck. Got the WSM going with hickory and a small amount of apple. Had both pieces of meat seasoned (pepper for the chuck, pastrami seasoning for the corn beef), and took the pastrami off at IT 165 (that’s for later this week). When the chuck hit 185, I took it off, let it rest, and the split it in two. One part was wrapped with butter and seasoning and put back on until it was 195. At that point, I checked it for tenderness, and it was like warm butter. That portion was sliced and tasted delicious AND was juicier than my last try.

6F99E580-5DFF-4906-920D-14BA8BEB9C98.jpeg

093C168C-2DF1-4445-92A8-D0A6708AC6C6.jpeg

This was as good as brisket. It was tender and juicy. Wrapping it with the butter and checking for tenderness made a huge difference. THANK YOU GUYS for the guidance.

I know last time many of you said chuck is as expensive or more as brisket, but this was clearance, and maybe I’m looking in the wrong places, but other than Walmart sometimes, brisket is almost as much as a nice cut of steak. I’m I looking at the wrong times of year? I’m in central PA, and the two primary grocery stores around (Weis & Giant) want $7-8/lb for brisket. Is it this part of the country? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The second portion was my burnt ends experiment. I’ve never eaten nor prepared them so this small portion was a trial run. Cut up my pieces, coated them with seasoning and Sweet Baby Rays and back on the smoker for 1/2 hour. Pulled them off and they almost tasted like little pieces of rib meat. I think I want to play around with different combinations of rubs and sauces with this, but they were good. I know I’m long winded today, but it was a lot and nothing on the pastrami yet. Thanks for looking!

FACCB5BB-C102-48EB-8256-9597C464AC81.jpeg

No Weis or Giant were I am at in West/Central PA but I lived for many years in Dauphin County near Harrisburg. Chuck was on sale frequently. I asked about Brisket. The meat manager explained that they only got small Flats in and it was pricey because corporate bought small quantities as they didn't sell all that well. He said they could not even get Packers from the warehouse. The only, more desirable for me, Points only showed up Corned for St.Patricks Day.
I could not get Packers or nice Points unless I traveled to a Slaughter House, Butcher Shop that would cut and sell any part of an animal you wanted. A place called Wayne Nell & Sons in East Berlin. Check Butcher Shops/Deer Processing operations in your area. There are several in SCPA who still work up Sides of Beef rather than Box Beef. Either way they will likely order what ever you want...JJ

I’m I looking at the wrong times of year? I’m in central PA, and the two primary grocery stores around (Weis & Giant) want $7-8/lb for brisket. Is it this part of the country?
I can get top choice brisket for $2~4 dollars/lb. year round here. Prime goes for about $1.5 more per pound....
I don't buy select brisket unless I want it for grind. I never grind prime or choice...just does not make any sense to me to pay for it if I'm just going to grind it.
I sometimes find select brisket for $1.25/lb.....makes AWESOME burger!! And cheap enough to justify it...

Dang that's some great prices. Maybe Brisket moves better in the Southern States? Along the same line the Harrisburg Giant Meat Manager had no idea what a Tri-Tip was, let alone carried them...JJ

No tri tip here either....butcher just looks at me funny when I ask for it...

Ask him for a PICANHA (Sirloin Cap), he will think your Nuts!...JJ

Your chuckie looks mighty fine to me. Packers are a rarity around here. Even our Costco usually only carries flats. TT forget about it. Might as well go to a restaurant and eat for the price and size they offer, and that's when you can find them.

Point for sure.
Chris

Your chuckie looks delicious!
Full Choice packers around here are usually under $3 per pound.
Whereas Chucks are about $6 per pound, on sale maybe $5 per pound.
If I want TT, I can order it from Publix, but it's pricey.
Al

Nice chuckie! I just looked and there are some GFS in PA but not sure how close to you guys. Regularly $3.49 and on sale often for $3.00 here in Ohio. Just did my first a few weeks ago and we're hooked. Very rich beef flavor compared to chuck. Gonna try and grind some for burgers since we pay $3 for GB chuck. Plain old GB is usually that but will be on sale for $2 now and then.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky