Just Cause Ribs!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great looking ribs ! Funny about that box mac...when the kids were old enough to make their own I always made it a point, dad gets one bite. That and ramen lol. Can you share a link to your Asian rub for me? I know I saw it but didn't save it.
Look forward to crappy weather...more cooking and smoking time!

Ryan

Nice work. You mentioned not liking the loin meat on the BBs. Did you trim that off or did you mean you bought ribs that didn't have the loin meat?
Thanks MS! These were the Costco standard 3 pack so I trimmed them. I trim one rib each end to make the rack and edges nice and even the trim all the loin mean down so the whole rack is a uniform thickness and the marbling meat remains.

There is a bender that has the loin fully trimmed but the are 8/lb so trimming a few ribs and some loin off is still way better price point.
They look fantastic! Great idea trimming off some of the loin meat, they leave way to much and it dries out so bad.
Many thanks jcam! Oh yes un trimmed it’s impossible to get a uniform cook! I wish I would have taken a pic. I will note to do it next time. I do run my two fingers on both sides to “depth” gauge so it’s uniform thickness for the full rack.

Great looking ribs ! Funny about that box mac...when the kids were old enough to make their own I always made it a point, dad gets one bite. That and ramen lol. Can you share a link to your Asian rub for me? I know I saw it but didn't save it.
Look forward to crappy weather...more cooking and smoking time!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! Next time add some heavy cream vs the milk and warm it with the butter and packet…… just yum! But don’t let the kids taste it cause they will be spoiled for life! Lol.

Here you go!

1/4c. Smoked paprika, gran Onion, gran garlic, turbinado cane sugar.
2 Tbsp brown sugar, gran sugar
1 1/2 Tsp five spice,
2 Tsp gochugaru Korean style red pepper
1/2 Tsp ginger, lemon pepper
1 Tbsp Japanese seven spice
1 Tbsp & 1 Tsp kosher salt coarse
1 Tbsp mushroom powder - optional
1 Tbsp 1tsp tomato powder
1/2 Tbsp nori dust (1 Tbsp flakes in spice grinder).

I just got combination of peppers and lemon peel so make my own 7 spice combination cause I want to see if I can adjust some heat and chili tone…. You know me I like to experiment!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Well we finished off the leftovers tonight….. the Asian theme tonight. The wife saw some thin cut rib eye slices so she dropped them in a soy, coke, raw sugar, garlic, Japanese 7 spice for some heat, then I seared them for 90 secs per side on the Weber sear zone…..
5D318006-A710-4E91-9C37-E5F1690A3554.jpeg

The beef was added to some stir fry noodles seasoned with the marinade and all this was combined with the ribs in a “meat combo bowl”
6E5D0575-4BBC-4EBB-8E23-7F8752B1D71E.jpeg

…..combo meat plate money…… I think a few salads are in store for the weekend!!!
0A1E8379-9CD2-4D7A-8848-2B9907057B83.jpeg

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Loving that meat combo dish, I'm a stirfry in the wok kind of guy. What's a Weber sear zone Civil, inquiring minds need to know, tho not if it's some kind of propane thing, I don't go there. RAY

We also had those same BB ribs.
E688CD59-8B8B-4377-B81F-FBD381512253.jpeg

They turned out good, but I will try trimming them up next time to see if I can take them to the next level.

Man, those ribs look some kinda good!! Just beautiful. Some great work there and of course there's no going wrong with mac & cheese :emoji_wink:

Robert

Loving that meat combo dish, I'm a stirfry in the wok kind of guy. What's a Weber sear zone Civil, inquiring minds need to know, tho not if it's some kind of propane thing, I don't go there. RAY
Thanks RAY, the stir fry with ribs was a nice addition for sure! I am going to disappoint you but the weber sear zone in the 3 burner section on the gasser, the better sear would be a vortex but it was only 21 degrees outside......
We also had those same BB ribs.
View attachment 648293

They turned out good, but I will try trimming them up next time to see if I can take them to the next level.
Those look good. For reference I trim off all that dark this meat (shown in the top rack of our pic) then I trim the loin meat down across 2/3's of it on the "front" side you can see in the bottom rack of your pic. The I remove the "pinky" ribs on each end for uniformity.
Man, those ribs look some kinda good!! Just beautiful. Some great work there and of course there's no going wrong with mac & cheese :emoji_wink:

Robert
Many thanks Robert! I've been working on my ribs (trying to get them to be consistent and repeatable) for a while now and I actually believe I'm close to inking the approach in the cookbook...... For BB's the trimming will be an ALWAYS in my book!

Well it’s been snowing for 3 days now so had to do pork baby backs just cause we ate all the beef ribs….. again was racing to get these in the RT so no prep pics….

These where the Costco pack….the price is back down to 3.29/lb. I’m not a fan of the thick loin meat on the BBs these days so that got trimmed off so the racks were all uniform…. Then I cut them in 4-bone sections and dressed them with my Asian rub.

Next they went in the RT1250 @235 my go to for BB’s. They went on @2pm and ran till 5 (INT was @ 196 ish).

I then glazed them with my rub mop/glaze 1c chicken stock, 2 Tbsp rub, 3 Tbsp raw sugar, 1 Tbsp butter, pinch of salt and about a Tbsp starch slurry. Glazed both sides @ 5 and pulled at 5:30…
View attachment 648199
….. oh yea!
View attachment 648200
Then did a second glaze on top and covered in foil and in the house oven @ 170 till 6:10 when the mac was done……
View attachment 648201
The boys portion ….. the 4 bone rack!
View attachment 648202
My 4 bone rack slice…..
View attachment 648203
The wife made up some heavy cream dressed up box Mac……again just cause!
View attachment 648204
This is called mid-week BB money!!!View attachment 648205
Yum! BBs are our fave. Costco ribs are always good and cheap too. Nice work

Yum! BBs are our fave. Costco ribs are always good and cheap too. Nice work
Thanks Dave! Our Costco had them at 2.49/lb 2 weeks ago but the freezer was already full..... The price point helps feel ok about trimming them down, the taste and cook makes me really feel good about it!

Thanks Dave! Our Costco had them at 2.49/lb 2 weeks ago but the freezer was already full..... The price point helps feel ok about trimming them down, the taste and cook makes me really feel good about it!
I saw the same sale a week after I put 5 racks in the freezer. Costco price is still better than Kroger all day.

Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky