• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Looks great Steve. These pickles are so darn good, I think this thread will be alive for a long time yet with more and more people trying them.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
A few quarts for today. Just used pickle crisp instead of alum.

P3060673.jpg

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
As usual your pickles look great Steve. I have been unable to find any good pickling cukes & ended up freezing some huge dill flowers, until I can find some cukes.
Al

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
As usual your pickles look great Steve. I have been unable to find any good pickling cukes & ended up freezing some huge dill flowers, until I can find some cukes.
Al
I know what you mean Al. I looked through 9 bags of cukes at Walmart to find 2 decent bags. And I still threw 3 of them away. And thank you! I still haven't had any luck finding dill flowers. Though fresh dill is still looking ok.

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
My dill plants never flower this time of year. But this has been one crazy winter, weatherwise down here. So now I have these huge dill flowers & no cukes. But I read you could freeze them in ball jars under vacuum & then freeze them. So that is what I did. At least when we get some good cukes I'll be ready to go!
Al

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
My dill plants never flower this time of year. But this has been one crazy winter, weatherwise down here. So now I have these huge dill flowers & no cukes. But I read you could freeze them in ball jars under vacuum & then freeze them. So that is what I did. At least when we get some good cukes I'll be ready to go!
Al
This weather has been something alright. Only had 2 bad days of driving to work from snow/slush. And this month it'll be in the 40's and 50's. With only 2 days of rain. We'll see how well they forecast this. I'm thing about putting up a box on the porch to grow some dill.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
SmokinAl SmokinAl Question. There are no cucumbers to be found that resembles a pickling or salad cuke.

P3200714.jpg

So, I'm using English cucumbers. Every use these for pickles? I like them in salads and cucumber salad. So I'm thinking they'll work alright.

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
SmokinAl SmokinAl Question. There are no cucumbers to be found that resembles a pickling or salad cuke.

View attachment 436610

So, I'm using English cucumbers. Every use these for pickles? I like them in salads and cucumber salad. So I'm thinking they'll work alright.
Yes I have used them before & while not quite as good as the pickling cukes, they will work. I have a huge jar of dill flowers that are in a ball jar under vacuum in my freezer. When the cukes are right I’m ready to go!
Al

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Thanks Al. I figured they would work. Just wanted to check with the pro! I am going to start a small window garden for dill, basil, and parsley this spring.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Brilliant. I have added to my to do list! Big like.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Glad this got bumped . Forgot I had some radish I did back in September . I have an old handwritten recipe for horseradish pickles . I couldn't find any fresh horseradish so I bought regular radish . Ended up doing a jar of them as well .
This is the whole batch . Cloudy jars on left have horseradish , and radish added ( I need to go open one of those )
Radish , onion and jalapeno , bottom left . Rest are regular .
20190908_142936.jpg
Just opened , un peeled when they went in .
20200320_120707.jpg
20200320_120713.jpg
20200320_120742.jpg
Stayed pretty crisp , and really good .
Wasn't sure what to expect , but have some heat , and remind me of a pickled pepper .
These would be great with some Italian beef .

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Glad this got bumped . Forgot I had some radish I did back in September . I have an old handwritten recipe for horseradish pickles . I couldn't find any fresh horseradish so I bought regular radish . Ended up doing a jar of them as well .
This is the whole batch . Cloudy jars on left have horseradish , and radish added ( I need to go open one of those )
Radish , onion and jalapeno , bottom left . Rest are regular .
View attachment 436622
Just opened , un peeled when they went in .
View attachment 436623
View attachment 436624
View attachment 436625
Stayed pretty crisp , and really good .
Wasn't sure what to expect , but have some heat , and remind me of a pickled pepper .
These would be great with some Italian beef .
The horseradish ones look mighty good. I'll need to do those.

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Dang those look good Chop!
And thanks Disco!!
Al

Brokenhandle

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Have to say thanks to SmokinAl SmokinAl Seen this post awhile ago and bought the ball jar attachment to use to vacuum seal jars. Then bought a small bag of pickling cukes to give it a try...life got busy and they got soft so I bought another bag yesterday. Was gonna do them tonight until I reread the post, all 20 pages, no time to soak for 4 hrs in ice water. So will have to wait but come hell or high water these will get made! And when they do will definitely post my results.

Ryan

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Have to say thanks to SmokinAl SmokinAl Seen this post awhile ago and bought the ball jar attachment to use to vacuum seal jars. Then bought a small bag of pickling cukes to give it a try...life got busy and they got soft so I bought another bag yesterday. Was gonna do them tonight until I reread the post, all 20 pages, no time to soak for 4 hrs in ice water. So will have to wait but come hell or high water these will get made! And when they do will definitely post my results.

Ryan
Good luck Ryan!
Looking forward to seeing your pickles!!
Al

Brokenhandle

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Finally got some done! Did 2 lbs of pickles and 2 bundles of asparagus, went a little light on the garlic just because we didn't have enough. Thankfully we only have a 5 day wait and not 6 weeks. Looking forward to trying them!

20200328_201209.jpg

Ryan

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Bout time you got them done! They look great Ryan! Now the wait.....

Last edited:

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Looks real good Ryan!!
Al

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Still no luck on decent pickling cukes. So I'm using English cucumbers again. This time around they are cut into snack chunks. And each jar got the same love from Al's recipe. Plus 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes for a touch of heat.
P4020746.JPG

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.