Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When you vac seal the jars...do you have to keep the refrigerated or can they store on a shelf till you want them?

When you vac seal the jars...do you have to keep the refrigerated or can they store on a shelf till you want them?

No, they are not shelf stable. And need to be kept in the fridge. This is not a true canning process. This is only speeds up the results so you can have the pickles done sooner.

No, they are not shelf stable. And need to be kept in the fridge. This is not a true canning process. This is only speeds up the results so you can have the pickles done sooner.
Thats what I thought ... thank you for confirming. I am literally getting another fridge for this endevour...lol

Hey SmokinAl SmokinAl I was wondering where you got your vacuum cannisters from. I have a foodsaver with the hose...Im ordering the pint/quart attachment but would love some of the canisters you have.

I bought them from Foodsaver, but I don't think they make them that size anymore. I've had these for about 10 years. If you get the ball jar attachment you can get an awful lot of pickles in the large 2 qt. wide mouth jars. And as Steve said they are not shelf stable & must be refrigerated!
Al

Reactions: NU2SMOKE
Dying to try these and I'm only 2 weeks in! Are they at least worth trying at 2 weeks? Tons more cukes on the vines so I will have a bunch of these!!!

Why not? Give em a try. If you have a vacuum sealer you can then get the jar attachment to speed things along.

Dying to try these and I'm only 2 weeks in! Are they at least worth trying at 2 weeks? Tons more cukes on the vines so I will have a bunch of these!!!

If they are not under vacuum, they will still taste like cukes, you need at least 6 weeks. Just get the ball jar attachment & vacuum them, that's the way to go. Then your looking at 5 or 6 days & they are ready!
Al

Yeah, you are probably right Al. But, the waiting does suck! Today's endeavor is sliced garlic pickles. But with a twist. For this batch I used cider vinegar at a 3:1 ratio. And I added a teaspoon of Trinidad Scorpion salt to the quart jars. @tx smoker I'll let you know how these come out. They should be plenty sour with a nice belt of heat. The little colorful peppers will be stuffed with feta.

P8232904.jpg
P8232906.jpg
P8232907.jpg
P8232908.jpg

Reactions: drdon and clifish
now I am sorry I did not expand the garden this year...I guess I will be hitting up wholefoods more and getting jars and vac sealer....you people are a bad influence!:emoji_laughing: I really don't need another hobby...Cars, tropical fish, ponds, fishing, smoking...now pickling?

This forum will do that to ya !!!!

Your telling me!!! I just purchased the Jar vacuum adapter and hose, all of the spices and Jars....Just so I can give this a try. I am also clearing out an area in my garden to try to grow the cukes rather than having to buy them.

I NEED THERAPY!!

Reactions: clifish and Steve H
Your telling me!!! I just purchased the Jar vacuum adapter and hose, all of the spices and Jars....Just so I can give this a try. I am also clearing out an area in my garden to try to grow the cukes rather than having to buy them.

I NEED THERAPY!!
we gave up on cucumber...or really any squash as it took over the garden and produced so many we could not use them. Now I have been making cucumber salads and the pickling and would have no problem anymore!

Stocking up! Ten pounds going in the fridge. Did not sway from the recipe this time.

P9063030.JPG

Haven't heard of this brand before. But being from PA. I'm sure they're fresh.

P9063031.JPG

Rinsed and going into the ice bath for a few hours.

P9063032.JPG

2 pints are cut length wise for sandwiches. The rest into spears.

P9063033.JPG

Ended up with 9 quarts of spears. And 2 pints sliced.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky