Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Got a question about the dill weed. I grow my own dill. How does that translate to the recipe ? Would dill weed include both the leaf and the flower ?

Just made a batch of Smokin' Al's pickles. They are resting in the fridge. Can't wait for a taste of these. My cukes look great this year. I made the recipe as printed but I have a question about the use of Alum. What does it do for you when making refrigerator pickles?

JC :emoji_cat:

Just made a batch of Smokin' Al's pickles. They are resting in the fridge. Can't wait for a taste of these. My cukes look great this year. I made the recipe as printed but I have a question about the use of Alum. What does it do for you when making refrigerator pickles?

It ensures that the pickles stay crunchy. I use pickle crisp for this. Pickle crisp has calcium chloride. Which. By some. Say it is better for consumption. They both do the same.

Reactions: JC in GB
It ensures that the pickles stay crunchy. I use pickle crisp for this. Pickle crisp has calcium chloride. Which. By some. Say it is better for consumption. They both do the same.
I may have to get some pickle crisp. The only thing I know about alum is that characters ate it often on Looney Tunes. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue: :emoji_laughing:

Thanks for the information. 🧑‍🍳

Our cukes grew sort of weird this year, they looked like gourds. Thick on one end & thin on the other. Still made good chips, but not so good for spears. As for the dill I try to use all flowers if they are available. It’s kind of hard to time it out so the dill is flowering when the cukes are ripe.
Al

Reactions: Smokin Okie
Our cukes grew sort of weird this year, they looked like gourds. Thick on one end & thin on the other. Still made good chips, but not so good for spears. As for the dill I try to use all flowers if they are available. It’s kind of hard to time it out so the dill is flowering when the cukes are ripe.
Al

I guess I'm lucky, I've got cukes and plenty of dill flower. How many dill flowers ? Can I put in too much flower ?

My cukes are going nuts this year and the dill is flowering! Put a batch of these in the fridge Sunday. I'll be digging in Thursday or Friday. Can't wait and may start another batch since I'm getting so many this year.

Had the orange gourd looking cuke problem last year. No idea what was happening there but I got zero yield.

Made 4 pints today. My wife cut almost all our dill and and I need to freeze or preserve it somehow for another batch. Best way to do that ?

I've not grown dill before this year, does it die back in the summer heat like cilantro ?

Dill Smokin Al.jpg

Reactions: SmokinAl
Made 4 pints today. My wife cut almost all our dill and and I need to freeze or preserve it somehow for another batch. Best way to do that ?

I've not grown dill before this year, does it die back in the summer heat like cilantro ?

View attachment 669219
Your pickles look fantastic. We take the dill (especially the flowers) & freeze it whole in vacuumed mason jars. I used to freeze it in vac bags, but it would all freeze together & it was hard to separate. But if it’s loose in the mason jars it is easy to use when needed. Hope this helps!
Al

Reactions: Smokin Okie
We opened a jar and the crunch is great. I think we went too light on the dill, they could use more dill flavor. Is it too late to add dill and vac seal them again ?

Also, how does the recipe change for jalapenos ? We've got a lot of them to pickle.

Reactions: SmokinAl
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky