• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Still no luck on decent pickling cukes. So I'm using English cucumbers again. This time around they are cut into snack chunks. And each jar got the same love from Al's recipe. Plus 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes for a touch of heat.
View attachment 438355
Looks good Steve!
Glad to see your keeping busy!
Al

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Today was day 5 so...

20200402_100317.jpg

And the verdict is...OMG! These are amazing! The first one I tried I decided to share with my wife...I never got it back. And she's been back to the jar since. Think I might have to make more.

Thanks again Al!
Ryan

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Today was day 5 so...

View attachment 438396

And the verdict is...OMG! These are amazing! The first one I tried I decided to share with my wife...I never got it back. And she's been back to the jar since. Think I might have to make more.

Thanks again Al!
Ryan
Your very welcome Ryan!
I'm so happy to hear you like the recipe!
Al

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Now I need some advice. Made both pickles and asparagus using the same recipe, pickles are awesome! While the asparagus is good it has gotten really tart...kind of like biting into a lime. Both pickles and asparagus jars were opened at same time so not vac sealed any longer. What possibly caused the tartness in the asparagus and what can I change to make it not so tart? I am thinking of adding a little heat to it, but not alot...wife said so!

Thanks
Ryan

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Also I believe it said to leave no headroom when vac sealing, on my first try I didn't leave any or not much headroom but did suck some liquid into the hose. Did have slice of onion on top also. Is this normal? Don't want to damage my new vacmaster.
Still learning from the experts

Thanks
Ryan

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I just fill mine until the veggies are fully submerged and the fluid is within 1/4" from rim. I do this because I don't want to risk bringing liquid back into my sealer. With asparagus. I only keep them under vacuum for a day. They absorb the brine pretty quick. Or don't vacuum seal them at all.

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Sounds like Steve has your answer. I never do anything but pickles so I really can't help you.
Al

daveomak

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Also I believe it said to leave no headroom when vac sealing, on my first try I didn't leave any or not much headroom but did suck some liquid into the hose. Did have slice of onion on top also. Is this normal? Don't want to damage my new vacmaster.

Thanks
Ryan
Ryan, morning... I think you need to leave headspace in the jars in order to have a vacuum...
Pressure canned foods need 1/2" or so... same with water bath canned stuff...
and with vacuumed stuff.... If you don't have a "space".... you can't remove the molecules to create a pressure difference from inside to outside the container....

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I find around 1/4" of headspace works well for vac sealing the jars. 1/2" certainly wouldn't hurt either.

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009

Thanks
Ryan
I leave about somewhere between 1/4 & 1/2 inch head space.
And be careful about getting liquid in the hose cause there is a sensor inside the machine & it will cause a part to fail. Ask me how I know this!
Anyhow it's an easy part to change & VacMaster stocks them.
Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.