Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great Steve. These pickles are so darn good, I think this thread will be alive for a long time yet with more and more people trying them.

Reactions: Steve H
A few quarts for today. Just used pickle crisp instead of alum.

P3060673.jpg

Reactions: Winterrider
As usual your pickles look great Steve. I have been unable to find any good pickling cukes & ended up freezing some huge dill flowers, until I can find some cukes.
Al

As usual your pickles look great Steve. I have been unable to find any good pickling cukes & ended up freezing some huge dill flowers, until I can find some cukes.
Al

I know what you mean Al. I looked through 9 bags of cukes at Walmart to find 2 decent bags. And I still threw 3 of them away. And thank you! I still haven't had any luck finding dill flowers. Though fresh dill is still looking ok.

My dill plants never flower this time of year. But this has been one crazy winter, weatherwise down here. So now I have these huge dill flowers & no cukes. But I read you could freeze them in ball jars under vacuum & then freeze them. So that is what I did. At least when we get some good cukes I'll be ready to go!
Al

My dill plants never flower this time of year. But this has been one crazy winter, weatherwise down here. So now I have these huge dill flowers & no cukes. But I read you could freeze them in ball jars under vacuum & then freeze them. So that is what I did. At least when we get some good cukes I'll be ready to go!
Al

This weather has been something alright. Only had 2 bad days of driving to work from snow/slush. And this month it'll be in the 40's and 50's. With only 2 days of rain. We'll see how well they forecast this. I'm thing about putting up a box on the porch to grow some dill.

SmokinAl SmokinAl Question. There are no cucumbers to be found that resembles a pickling or salad cuke.

P3200714.jpg

So, I'm using English cucumbers. Every use these for pickles? I like them in salads and cucumber salad. So I'm thinking they'll work alright.

SmokinAl SmokinAl Question. There are no cucumbers to be found that resembles a pickling or salad cuke.

View attachment 436610

So, I'm using English cucumbers. Every use these for pickles? I like them in salads and cucumber salad. So I'm thinking they'll work alright.

Yes I have used them before & while not quite as good as the pickling cukes, they will work. I have a huge jar of dill flowers that are in a ball jar under vacuum in my freezer. When the cukes are right I’m ready to go!
Al

Thanks Al. I figured they would work. Just wanted to check with the pro! I am going to start a small window garden for dill, basil, and parsley this spring.

Glad this got bumped . Forgot I had some radish I did back in September . I have an old handwritten recipe for horseradish pickles . I couldn't find any fresh horseradish so I bought regular radish . Ended up doing a jar of them as well .
This is the whole batch . Cloudy jars on left have horseradish , and radish added ( I need to go open one of those )
Radish , onion and jalapeno , bottom left . Rest are regular .
20190908_142936.jpg
Just opened , un peeled when they went in .
20200320_120707.jpg
20200320_120713.jpg
20200320_120742.jpg
Stayed pretty crisp , and really good .
Wasn't sure what to expect , but have some heat , and remind me of a pickled pepper .
These would be great with some Italian beef .

Glad this got bumped . Forgot I had some radish I did back in September . I have an old handwritten recipe for horseradish pickles . I couldn't find any fresh horseradish so I bought regular radish . Ended up doing a jar of them as well .
This is the whole batch . Cloudy jars on left have horseradish , and radish added ( I need to go open one of those )
Radish , onion and jalapeno , bottom left . Rest are regular .
View attachment 436622
Just opened , un peeled when they went in .
View attachment 436623
View attachment 436624
View attachment 436625
Stayed pretty crisp , and really good .
Wasn't sure what to expect , but have some heat , and remind me of a pickled pepper .
These would be great with some Italian beef .

The horseradish ones look mighty good. I'll need to do those.

Reactions: chopsaw
Have to say thanks to SmokinAl SmokinAl Seen this post awhile ago and bought the ball jar attachment to use to vacuum seal jars. Then bought a small bag of pickling cukes to give it a try...life got busy and they got soft so I bought another bag yesterday. Was gonna do them tonight until I reread the post, all 20 pages, no time to soak for 4 hrs in ice water. So will have to wait but come hell or high water these will get made! And when they do will definitely post my results.

Ryan

Have to say thanks to SmokinAl SmokinAl Seen this post awhile ago and bought the ball jar attachment to use to vacuum seal jars. Then bought a small bag of pickling cukes to give it a try...life got busy and they got soft so I bought another bag yesterday. Was gonna do them tonight until I reread the post, all 20 pages, no time to soak for 4 hrs in ice water. So will have to wait but come hell or high water these will get made! And when they do will definitely post my results.

Ryan
Good luck Ryan!
Looking forward to seeing your pickles!!
Al

Finally got some done! Did 2 lbs of pickles and 2 bundles of asparagus, went a little light on the garlic just because we didn't have enough. Thankfully we only have a 5 day wait and not 6 weeks. Looking forward to trying them!

20200328_201209.jpg

Ryan

Still no luck on decent pickling cukes. So I'm using English cucumbers again. This time around they are cut into snack chunks. And each jar got the same love from Al's recipe. Plus 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes for a touch of heat.
P4020746.JPG

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky