FREE Double Smoked Ham (Big Spiral Surprise)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank You Warren!!
Yup, That Bacon was Awesome after Smoking almost 6 hours hours & running Brown Sugar, Maple Syrup, and other Spices through it. Just like Candy!! I still can't believe how Good this Ham turned out to be!!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear
How much Maple Syrup did you use in the glaze?

How much Maple Syrup did you use in the glaze?

Glaze:
Brown Sugar————1/2 Cup
Maple Syrup———— 1/2 Cup
Ground Mustard———1/2 tsp
Ground Cinnamon——1/4 tsp
Ground Ginger————1/8 tsp
Ground Cloves————1/8 tsp
Ground Nutmeg————1/8 tsp
Heat in Microwave, and stir well just before applying.

Bear

Wow! This turned out fantastic. Our daughter sent a spiral-sliced ham home with us for me to smoke for her. After my quality control checks, she will be getting back a slightly lighter ham :) Not sure she'll get any of the candied bacon. Thank you, Bearcarver for the great recipe!

Wow! This turned out fantastic. Our daughter sent a spiral-sliced ham home with us for me to smoke for her. After my quality control checks, she will be getting back a slightly lighter ham :) Not sure she'll get any of the candied bacon. Thank you, Bearcarver for the great recipe!

That's Great, Scott !!
I'm real glad you like it !
I was gonna do another one on Tuesday, but I got word my DIL isn't a fan of Ham, so I'll be Smoking a NY Strip Roast on Christmas, like I do my Prime Ribs.
Then I'll Double smoke that Spiral Ham in a month or two, just for Me & Mrs Bear, and a container to Bear Jr.

Bear

Planning to do this for new years with a small spiral sliced ham, but I am not likely to do the basting method.

<As much as I believe in it, the family does not>

I'll bust out my maple mustard glaze for it and see how it goes! Thanks for the idea Bear! Now if only I could explain to my family about needing the above..

That's Great Tom!!
Nothing here is set in Stone.
Changes are Fine!

Bear

That's Great Tom!!
Nothing here is set in Stone.
Changes are Fine!

Bear
Just worried it might dry out is all! Though if it does they can't blame me for deviating from a proven method!

I'll try to get pictures before we tuck in at dinner :) Planning to put it on around Noon and then go on out to do some shopping.

Just worried it might dry out is all! Though if it does they can't blame me for deviating from a proven method!

I'll try to get pictures before we tuck in at dinner :) Planning to put it on around Noon and then go on out to do some shopping.

It shouldn't dry out, but that is one of my reasons for the Dripping Bacon or Fat through the pan.
I can't think of a reason NOT to do it.
Should still be Awesome!!

Bear

Bacon makes every thing better ;)

Yes it definitely does!!
However I actually like using the Fat I trim off of the Cheap Ham portions (Shanks & Butts) more than using the Bacon.
It's cheaper & you get more drippings from it.
But there is no Fat to trim from on the "Spiral" Hams.

Bear

well, put mine on at about 8. kinda concerned it used a full 5x8 in like four hours. hope it didn't get to much smoke
IMG_0002.JPG
. got it resting now that it hit 146 in a cooler wrapped in towel. will report later on.....

Wish mine had gone properly.

Either it was to cold or ..well we put bricks and plywood on top of the smoker due to the snow storm. I'm wondering if the weight on top didn't crimp a wire because today we took the cover of plywood and brick off and it's fine so far.

Some day bear I'll get to do a double smoked ham!

well, put mine on at about 8. kinda concerned it used a full 5x8 in like four hours. hope it didn't get to much smokeView attachment 384364 . got it resting now that it hit 146 in a cooler wrapped in towel. will report later on.....

Looks Great, but a little dark.
I'm a little worried about your smoke too. That 4 hours worth usually takes 10 or 11 hours.
I got my fingers crossed for ya!!
Worse comes to worst, you can trim the outside 1/4" off. That part is sometimes hard anyway, especially if we make it in the oven at a higher Temp.

Bear

it turned out great. did get a lot of smoke early on but didn't affect the taste at all. MIL wanted to take some home so out comes the food saver and vacuum sealed what was left over.. still don't understand my 5x8 goin nuts. I did put them in my oven at 200 degrees for about thirty minutes and it was a very windy day..

it turned out great. did get a lot of smoke early on but didn't affect the taste at all. MIL wanted to take some home so out comes the food saver and vacuum sealed what was left over.. still don't understand my 5x8 goin nuts. I did put them in my oven at 200 degrees for about thirty minutes and it was a very windy day..

Glad it came out Great !!!
Yup--Drying the pellets can speed the burning.
Also if you're too close to the heat source.
Plus if it's filled too close to the top, the burning can jump across rows & burn up quick.
Wind can do it too, just like a good air flow can speed it, and lack of air flow can slow or stop it.

Bear

Great write up. Just picked up a few of the spiral hams for cheap .59 a lb
Given me some great ideas to mess with

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky