First Time Cheese - Smoked, Rested, Still Not Good...Advice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Smoke 3 to 7 hours with cherry or apple pellets and love it the next day! You 8 to 10 weeks people crack me up! if you can't eat it the next day then you used the wrong wood.

Take it out of the smoker let it sit at room temp in the open for a few hours then bag it or seal it and eat it. Its not that hard people! Smoking cheese it so easy any Gomer can do it.

KmRQLl8.jpg

hQrJb2E.jpg

Don’t know Gomer but I always rest for two months. It’s not hard this way either.

Reactions: bbqbrett
Cheese can be eaten fresh from the smoker or stored a year or more. It’s all a matter of personal preference. For me it’s a two month rest.

I just opened some from January 2017 . Nice color all the way thru the cheese .

My guess as to why people have such a "strong smoke flavor" on cheese is that they get a bit or a lot of stale smoke flavor on the cheese. Cold smoking will do that if the smoke lingers too long because there is little to no draft due to the lack of heat used. Hot smoking does not have this issue.

This is why I built a little cold smoker assist to help keep the draft and smoke flowing on a cold smoke. Others do similar things with a fan blowing over the vent. I've had a little stale smoke on cold smoking before and solved the problem ASAP and haven't had it since :)

Reactions: hawgrider
I use a BGE to do my cold smoking and have the air intake and vent wide open. Works well.

Not sure if everyone saw it but another member swears using dust over pellets gives far better results for cold smoking. I think he is onto to something. Last batch I did with cob pellets for 2hs and even with 6mo aging it is a bit rough for me. I have some apple dust and gonna try that on upcoming batch real soon.

I have read somewhere, too much cob smoke is pretty powerful... Pops mentioned he mixes his cob with Pitmasters Blend pellets...

Some Tractor Supply places carry bags of the corn cob pellets for animal bedding too. What i do now is lay a base of Pitmaster Blend pellets in my AMNPS, then top it with corn cob pellets so I get the longer-burning hardwood pellets mixed with the sweetness of the corn cob pellets:

Pitmaster Blend:

963638e3_007.jpeg

topped with corn cob pellets:

f8f92a75_010.jpeg

Corncob - Although not considered to be a true wood, it is often used as a smoking chip when grilling foods such as poultry, fish and small game birds. The heart of the cob that holds the kernels is the fuel section of this alternative for wood. It is ground into small granular bits that can be added to a smoking box or it can be combined with other woods such as woods from fruit trees, to impart several flavors. The Corncob provides a sweet flavor that may overpower the food if too much is used to season the food as it cooks. Begin by trying small amounts until the desired flavor is achieved.

https://andersonscob.com/?application=meat-poultry-fish-smoking
Corncob has been used for centuries as a smoking media for meats, fish and poultry. Smoking with corncob produces a thick, white smoke, comparable to hickory wood in efficiency, flavor and color of the smoked items.
How to Use Grit-o’Cobs Corncob In Your Smoker
Now with its 1/4″ particle size, it’s easy to use the correct amount of Grit-o’Cobs to create the level of smoke required.
Soak a cup of the cob in water for at least 1/2 hour prior to use. Spread over the coals or heat plate. A controlled smoke will commence soon depending upon your heat level. Cook as desired and enjoy!
Grit-o’Cobs is great for fish, venison, wild game, turkey, or any other meat you want to try!

Reactions: zwiller
I have used the corn cob pellets for cheese and found them satisfactory but I only cold smoke for 2-3 hrs..

I have read somewhere, too much cob smoke is pretty powerful... Pops mentioned he mixes his cob with Pitmasters Blend pellets...

Some Tractor Supply places carry bags of the corn cob pellets for animal bedding too. What i do now is lay a base of Pitmaster Blend pellets in my AMNPS, then top it with corn cob pellets so I get the longer-burning hardwood pellets mixed with the sweetness of the corn cob pellets:

Good idea you've got there, Dave.

Not sure if everyone saw it but another member swears using dust over pellets gives far better results for cold smoking. I think he is onto to something. Last batch I did with cob pellets for 2hs and even with 6mo aging it is a bit rough for me. I have some apple dust and gonna try that on upcoming batch real soon.

I started using apple or hickory dust on my last batch. Two, two hour sessions with some rest time inbetween smokes. This is done using my 22" WSM and a Todd's tray. Although there still is some tweaks needed for strength and cheese varieties - I can basically eat it right out of the smoker. Whereas when I use pellets I need to wait at least two weeks.

Chris

Reactions: zwiller
I see that this is an old thread and I am sure you have it figured out by now, but in case someone new jumps in here, this is my method.

I cut my chunk cheese into 3/8 inch slices to put on my racks. I have a home made cold smoker using an old metal milk box with a hinged lid and an old elect stove burner. Hickory chunks smolder, smoke goes 3ft through a noninsulated 6" stove pipe to cool into the bottom side of a whisky barrel I sliced and made a hinged top and up through the racks. About 20 min gives me plenty of smoke. Ready to eat or bag for later. Not a lot different method than some of the "Mail Box" mods for their regular smokers listed here. I buy bacon, slice the pack in half and do it the same way to freeze and fry later.

To me, it does not hurt to taste test the cheese as you go to get the right amount of smoke you personally like. Each of us has found the particular way that works for us. Good luck to you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky