Just a little smoked cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 14, 2014
Northeast pa
Got some cooler weather this morning, about 41 degrees. Decided to do a little cheese. Did some mild cheddar, gouda, Monterey Jack and horseradish. Used hickory pellets with the mailbox and mes30. Smoked about 3 1/2 hours. Now I'll wait a day or two before I sample some. That's about as long as I can hold out. Thanks for looking.
20230927_064236.jpg
20230927_065847.jpg
20230927_112833.jpg

Outstanding. One day I will attempt it. Even have a cheese making kit I got probably a year ago but never used. Too many other things on the go but one day I tell myself. Lol!

Cheese is looking good!

Man! I wish it was down in the 40's right now! They are calling for highs in the 90's for the next 10 days!!! I am ready for some colder weather!

Boy do those look really good Jim. We're in prime cheese smoking season currently. I have to get my but in gear and do some before it's too late.

Point for sure
Chris

Last edited:
Looking good, we been in the mid 40's looking for 40 and I am going to do some here

Cheese is looking good!

Man! I wish it was down in the 40's right now! They are calling for highs in the 90's for the next 10 days!!! I am ready for some colder weather!
Some of our higher elevations are already in the teens at night. Sure feels like fall. I’m currently in the mid 40’s to low 50’s at the house over night.

Reactions: mike243
Not cool enough here yet. In another month we will be good. Our kids have already started putting their orders in.

I'm ready for some cooler weather as well to smoke some more cheese. Took some out yesterday I smoked in January, cheddar and mozzarella were great, pepper Jack was surprisingly still very smoke strong and they all smoked together.

Yeah, I'm running out of my smoked Mozzi cause the wife Luuuuvvv's it. Another month plus before I can cold smoke some more. Also dying to cold smoke some more Albacore Tuna.

Looks great, nice that it's cool enough for you now.

How do you treat it after the smoke? How long do you let it mature?

I vacuum seal it for at least a few months but I have overlap in my cheese fridge, pulled out a block from January 2022 a week ago. I like to add to the smoked cheese before letting it mature. Black pepper, pepper flakes, cyanne, caraway seed etc.

20220108_191345.jpg

20220108_191251.jpg

20220108_191313.jpg

Tastes great after 6 to 12 months.

Outstanding. One day I will attempt it. Even have a cheese making kit I got probably a year ago but never used. Too many other things on the go but one day I tell myself. Lol!
Thank you sir, ya got to give it a shot someday it's so easy and taste great.

Cheese is looking good!

Thanks inda, feel for ya with those temps had a few days in the 90's here this summer and got to say it sucks.

Boy do those look really good Jim. We're in prime cheese smoking season currently. I have to get my but in gear and do some before it's too late.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you Chris, yep perfect weather now 40's at night 60's during the day I can take this weather year round.

Looks good Jim . We're getting low 60's overnight . I need to get some cheese in the house so I'm ready .

Looks great! It was 102 here a couple of days ago, not quite cold smoke temperature…

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky