Need HELP (lol)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think pellet dust will solve your problems. Dust produces a cleaner lighter smoke profile. Don't pay attention to the baskets on the sides. I was using my kettle to start the maze.

1708811161325.png

Results.
1708811206045.png

This batch was done in my 22" WSM.

Chris

Reactions: BigW.
I really like the idea of putting a dust cage at the very bottom of a webber kettle right on top of the incoming vents. Just can't imagine too much heat being developed.

At worst case add a mailbox as I suggested earlier, to the end of the lower duct pipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3roosters
I really like the idea of putting a dust cage at the very bottom of a webber kettle right on top of the incoming vents. Just can't imagine too much heat being developed.
I bailed on my MES and Yoder on my first cold smoking project and did exactly that with the Weber kettle. With pellet dust it barely registered any heat at the grill.

Worked like a charm, but space is limited. Think I'll try some mods on the MES before completely giving up. There was also a thread I found here where a guy used a popcorn tin, I might try that.

My first step is going to be triage the MES with a router controller on the front end and a cpu or duct fan off the top, and an extension between the cold smoke attachment and smoker.

I bailed on my MES and Yoder on my first cold smoking project and did exactly that with the Weber kettle. With pellet dust it barely registered any heat at the grill.

Worked like a charm, but space is limited. Think I'll try some mods on the MES before completely giving up. There was also a thread I found here where a guy used a popcorn tin, I might try that.

My first step is going to be triage the MES with a router controller on the front end and a cpu or duct fan off the top, and an extension between the cold smoke attachment and smoker.
I built a cold smoke assist gadget as mentioned earlier, it works like a charm. Here's some pics:
full.png

I just rolled some cardboard around a big tin can.
Taped it all up.
Cut a notch in the side and then with more cardboard angled that blower fan upward at a good angle and wired a 12v plug to it (12v fan).

I set that thing over my MES vent and plug it in and BOOM, instant draft created as the upward air starts to suck/draft air out of my MES vent. No more stale smoke issues for me while cold smoking with my MES :D

Well there is 1 issue. I live in TX so I can only attempt cold smoking a few times a hear in like the Jan-Feb time frame, but that's not an MES issue, just a weather issue hahahha :D

I built a cold smoke assist gadget as mentioned earlier, it works like a charm. Here's some pics:
View attachment 689618

Taped it all up.
Cut a notch in the side and then with more cardboard angled that blower fan upward at a good angle and wired a 12v plug to it (12v fan).

I set that thing over my MES vent and plug it in and BOOM, instant draft created as the upward air starts to suck/draft air out of my MES vent. No more stale smoke issues for me while cold smoking with my MES :D

Well there is 1 issue. I live in TX so I can only attempt cold smoking a few times a hear in like the Jan-Feb time frame, but that's not an MES issue, just a weather issue hahahha :D
I think it was actually your thread is what lead me to the cpu fan.

I'm substantially north so can cold smoke 360 days a year but altitude and draft apparently comes into play 🤣

Thanks for sharing I appreciate all the help I can get.

I think it was actually your thread is what lead me to the cpu fan.

I'm substantially north so can cold smoke 360 days a year but altitude and draft apparently comes into play 🤣

Thanks for sharing I appreciate all the help I can get.
anytime! I look forward to seeing what you come up with :D

I think pellet dust will solve your problems. Dust produces a cleaner lighter smoke profile. Don't pay attention to the baskets on the sides. I was using my kettle to start the maze.

View attachment 689610
Results.
View attachment 689611

This batch was done in my 22" WSM.

Chris
I do the exact thing as Chris. You can also make your own dust by soaking pellets in water, and letting them dry out.

View attachment 689618

Taped it all up.

I got one of those fans in the garage some place, I'll have to find it. thanks

Reactions: tallbm
I do the exact thing as Chris. You can also make your own dust by soaking pellets in water, and letting them dry out.
Then just break them up in your hand? do you dry them out in the oven or just spread out?

Where do you get pellet dust? only see pellets in stores around me.
The last batch I bought was from the A-Maze-N website. However I just looked and didn't see it offered anymore. So when I need more I'll have to make my own like Dave said above. There are a few threads on this site that explain how to do it, and it's a simple process. Just make sure you're using pellets made from 100% real wood of your choice, and not pellets mixed with filler woods or that use oils for flavor.

Chris

The last batch I bought was from the A-Maze-N website. However I just looked and didn't see it offered anymore. So when I need more I'll have to make my own like Dave said above. There are a few threads on this site that explain how to do it, and it's a simple process. Just make sure you're using pellets made from 100% real wood of your choice, and not pellets mixed with filler woods or that use oils for flavor.

Chris
ok, thanks for the tip.

Reactions: gmc2003
I get my A MAZE N pellets (100% wood of choice) at Pit Boss (they bought the inventor out, Who use to be/is a member here where it all started for him)...

Hi there and welcome!

As pointed out, it seems you have no smoke coming out which is bad, and even worse for cold smoking!

If smoke is not steadily entering and exiting then you will get bad flavors, especially with cold smoking.
With cold smoking there is a very real problem of stale smoke which tastes strong and horrible. Stale smoke is smoke that sits and lingers too long (no oxygen left in it I believe).
I have had a little issue with stale smoke when I started cold smoking.

The solution is to ensure you have draft going where the smoke easily and constantly can exit the smoker.
I rigged up a contraption that is a cardboard tube that I placed over my smoker vent. I rigged up a computer blower fan so it blew UPWARDS into the cardboard tube which caused a draft sucking out the smoke from the vent at a steady pace. This created the draft and kept the smoking flowing out vs lingering and becoming stale.
This solved all my cold smoke issues with bad and stale smoke flavors.

I'm pretty sure you are running into this type of problem. Let me know if this info helps :)
Hello; I rigged up a very small fan (computer fan) and placed it over the vents on the grill, it pulled the smoke out but also brought a draft to the wood chips and boy did the burn hotter. It created more smoke than before & it was smoking out the masterbuilt like crazy, looked into the wood tube and a second later I had a flame coming out. (lol) I think I need to either get a bigger grill & turn down the temp on the heating element?

View attachment 689618

Taped it all up.

Hello; I had a similar fan just a little smaller. All it seam to do for me was create a hotter fire? The smoke was really coming out of the masterbuilt, I looked into the wood chamber and a second I had flames coming out the tube. lol I think I need to control the elements temp? or get a bigger grill. any thoughts?

Hello; I rigged up a very small fan (computer fan) and placed it over the vents on the grill, it pulled the smoke out but also brought a draft to the wood chips and boy did the burn hotter. It created more smoke than before & it was smoking out the masterbuilt like crazy, looked into the wood tube and a second later I had a flame coming out. (lol) I think I need to either get a bigger grill & turn down the temp on the heating element?
Good to know. I would close off/cover the vent holes a bit (maybe half the vent) and continue tweaking.
I see you have a good bit of run in the vent piping so not sure adding more makes sense but that was my other thought lol.

I think if you just "reduce" the hole size the fan can't pull as much.

I would take a soda can or a tin can lid and just lay it halfway over the vent. Something like that.
Let me know if this is something that is possible, makes sense, and can be tested :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky