Just a little smoked cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm ready for some cooler weather as well to smoke some more cheese. Took some out yesterday I smoked in January, cheddar and mozzarella were great, pepper Jack was surprisingly still very smoke strong and they all smoked together.
Good thing ya got some stick piled while ya wait for cooler weather

Yeah, I'm running out of my smoked Mozzi cause the wife Luuuuvvv's it. Another month plus before I can cold smoke some more. Also dying to cold smoke some more Albacore Tuna.
Never had smoked tuna, dont know if I ever tried the mozzarella either may have to try that next round

Yeah Jim thats a little.
nice smoke. longest I waited was 3 year havarti.

Looks great, nice that it's cool enough for you now.

How do you treat it after the smoke? How long do you let it mature?

I vacuum seal it for at least a few months but I have overlap in my cheese fridge, pulled out a block from January 2022 a week ago. I like to add to the smoked cheese before letting it mature. Black pepper, pepper flakes, cyanne, caraway seed etc.

View attachment 677217
View attachment 677216
View attachment 677215

Tastes great after 6 to 12 months.
Thank you, I usually will start eating 1 or 2 of them after a couple days. The rest I will wrap in clear film then into ziploc bags and leave in fridge a week or two then into the freezer.

Good color on the cheese. I'm thinking about doing a batch soon. I have some that is nearing 5 years old now. Incredible flavor.
Thanks Steve. I dont think I ever had any over 1 year, I bet 5 years is incredible. I think I would need a vacuum machine to let it go that long. Maybe one of these days I'll break down and buy one.

Reactions: Steve H
Looks great! It was 102 here a couple of days ago, not quite cold smoke temperature…
Thank you, 102 might be a little warm. You can almost smoke some meat without turning your smoker on with those temps.

Thanks you Chop, yep your temps are getting close.
Woke up to 43 this morning . Remembered I had some blocks in the garage fridge .
Sell date 2022 . Still in original vac pack .
I had some rosemary pellets I got from Owens . Loaded up the 6" tube and did a quick run using the gas grill .
Heavy smoke at first , then it died down . Went about 1 1/2 to 2 hours .
20231007_082048.jpg
My cheese never comes out , but I might have something this time .
20231007_093833.jpg
All ready had a taste . I bet a couple day rest and it will be pretty good .
20231007_093936.jpg

Woke up to 43 this morning . Remembered I had some blocks in the garage fridge .
Sell date 2022 . Still in original vac pack .
I had some rosemary pellets I got from Owens . Loaded up the 6" tube and did a quick run using the gas grill .
Heavy smoke at first , then it died down . Went about 1 1/2 to 2 hours .
View attachment 677909
My cheese never comes out , but I might have something this time .
View attachment 677910
All ready had a taste . I bet a couple day rest and it will be pretty good .
View attachment 677911
Sure looks good!! Looks like it was worth the wait.

Do
Outstanding. One day I will attempt it. Even have a cheese making kit I got probably a year ago but never used. Too many other things on the go but one day I tell myself. Lol!
Do it! My first smoked cheese was done in a cardboard box, with a can of wood chips and a soldering iron... You won't regret it.

I just smoked it this morning . I bought a bunch of cheese last year , so it's pre aged , lol .
Need to get the rest ready for tomorrow morning .
Sounds like your all set, how's those rosemary pellets, are they a lighter taste like fruit pellets, never tried them.

how's those rosemary pellets,
First time using them . They sure smelled good . I got those in with an order from Owens BBQ to try out . I wish they still sold pellets . Seems like the perfect use for them . I'll let you know in a couple days .

Reactions: smokerjim
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky