Pellet Smoked Salmon & Brine Gone Wrong?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NorthShoreSmoker

Original poster
Apr 10, 2024
Newbie here and looking for a few tips not already found or just reassurance! I recently was given a pellet smoker and have been trying various things to smoke, all has gone fairly well but my smoked salmon definitely did not turn out to my liking. I bought some Sockeye Salmon vacuum sealed from costco the other day and tried a brine i found below. Rinsed salmon, patted dry and marinated for 24 hours. I did not rinse, patted dry and fan dried in fridge for 3 hours. Set smoker to 180 degrees. Smoked 1 filet in the back and other off to the left side for about 3 hours until 145 degrees. The salmon leaked white fat and off the smoker was dry. What went wrong and how can i fix this for the future? My smoker only goes to 180 and at times got up to 200. Within the first hour the salmon was already at 85 degrees. Any help would be awesome as im trying to make that same salmon you buy vacuum sealed at the meat market! I later read some people add a glaze of some sort every hour or even some seasonings prior to smoking. Thanks!
- 2 Cups Soy Sauce
- 1 1/4 Cups Chardonnay Wine
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 5 TBS Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tsp Tobasco ( used half and half of Sriracha & Franks )

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky