First Post - Small 2.5 lb Brisket Flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CBusOHDawg

Original poster
Apr 6, 2019
I’ve been reading this forum for a while and have picked up a lot of great pointers from you guys, but this is my first post.

I just got into smoking last year and have done some pork loins, pork butts, and baby back ribs on my Pit Boss Austin XL. I’ve been extremely happy with how everything has turned out... until today. I was picking up a pork butt last night and noticed that my grocery store had some small brisket flats. I’ve always wanted to try a brisket but haven’t done so because I could never justify dropping 50 bucks on one because I really only cook for my family and we would never eat that much meat. (We eat a plant based diet for all but one meal a week. I hope that doesn’t result in my privileges being revoked.)

Anyway, I figured I’d give it a try since it was small and cheap. I followed the below steps. Maybe you can help me figure out what went wrong.

Seasoned with a simple dry rub overnight
Smoked at 250-275 until IT reached 160
Wrapped in foil and put it back on the smoker until IT reached 200
Held in cooler for 30 minutes and then let it rest for 30 minutes tented in foil

It turned out with a great flavor but it was so tough that I ended up trashing it after one piece. I’m at a loss for where I went wrong. Any ideas?

A bigger brisket is normally a better brisket. With brisket I don't cook to a set temperature instead when it hits about 195 internal start checking it with a toothpick or even a knife if you have to. You want the toothpick/knife to slide in very easy almost like butter. Whatever that temp is it is and it varies quite a bit I've had them finish at like 199 and had some go to 213. Did you inject the brisket it makes a big difference. Did you foil or pan the brisket again it makes a big difference. Some of us do both

Reactions: CBusOHDawg
What Piney said is spot on. I smoke brisket to probe tender in the thickest part of the flat.
The smaller the flat the tougher the smoke.

Reactions: CBusOHDawg
A bigger brisket is normally a better brisket. With brisket I don't cook to a set temperature instead when it hits about 195 internal start checking it with a toothpick or even a knife if you have to. You want the toothpick/knife to slide in very easy almost like butter. Whatever that temp is it is and it varies quite a bit I've had them finish at like 199 and had some go to 213. Did you inject the brisket it makes a big difference. Did you foil or pan the brisket again it makes a big difference. Some of us do both

I did not do the toothpick test. I didn’t realize the finishing temp could vary so much with a brisket so that’s very helpful. I did not inject it either so I’ll try that next time. As far as foil/pan, I wrapped it at 160 IT and kept it in that foil for about an hour after I pulled it off the cooker. The second half of that hour I loosened and tented the foil.

It turned out with a great flavor but it was so tough that I ended up trashing it after one piece. I’m at a loss for where I went wrong. Any ideas?

Trashing it as in TRASH CAN!!! Wow, if you did you just missed out on some great fix'ns for hash, chili or even chopped brisket. Mistakes and failures always get a second chance in our house. The unexpected sometimes turns out better then the original idea.

Chris

The other thing that needs to be said is that brisket freezes well. There is only two of us but I'll do a brisket and we'll eat it a night maybe two and the rest gets frozen in meal size vacuum seal bags. I slice the entire brisket the first night we save the juices and add it back in before putting into the vacuum sealer bags that way some gets into every pack and that helps keep it moist during the reheat.
You will find pulled pork also freezes very well and we seal that into meal sized bags as well instead of adding the juice back into the meat I make up some finishing sauce and keep it in the fridge to add into it when rewarming.
Meatloaf freezes well to

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky