First Official CenTex Que & Brew August 9th-11th

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Morning Zach!! I have a practice cook coming tomorrow....that sadly you won't be attending since work has gotten in the way of play time. I'll be doing a 65 day aged Certified Angus Beef prime rib on the rotisserie of the Santa Maria. Along with that I'll be doing fresh grilled asparagus with a Parmesan cream sauce (never seen or heard of this before but it sounds good) and grilled mushrooms stuffed with fresh crab meat, butter, and garlic. Hopefully this meal comes out as good as I think its gonna be :-)

Practicing for the gathering,
Robert

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdaddy4760
Made a batch of mac and cheese this week, it was very good. That said, it was good fresh, it was not as good once heated back up. So if I do that recipe I'll be bringing the sauce separate from the noodles. It's simple at that point, just mix the noodles and sauce together, throw in some cheese, and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
p.jpeg

p.jpeg

Started on Jenga Wednesday night and have all the boards cut. I started sanding the boards last night, should finish tonight, and start staining the boards tonight or tomorrow. Hoping to assemble the base tomorrow if I can find my Kreg jig... The base will have leveling feet in the bottom eventually so it can be tweaked for whatever surface it sits on.

Tomorrow morning I'll start smoking the point of the brisket I cut in half the other day. It'll let me try out my Inkbird thermometer with a long cook. I tested it last night on the grill with some steak, it doesn't like the grill because you lose so much heat when you open the door that it sets off the low temp alarm every time.

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Zach
Could you update the head count, Kenny, Chris and myself will be there Friday afternoon to help kick stuff off. Cindy and Buzz might come Friday evening after it cools off some for a bit. Cindy and Buzz will be joing us Saturday also.

Zach
Could you update the head count, Kenny, Chris and myself will be there Friday afternoon to help kick stuff off. Cindy and Buzz might come Friday evening after it cools off some for a bit. Cindy and Buzz will be joing us Saturday also.
Outstanding. Will get to it soon! Glad I get to meet Cindy finally! Hope you haven't said anything good about me :emoji_laughing:

Made a batch of mac and cheese this week, it was very good. That said, it was good fresh, it was not as good once heated back up. So if I do that recipe I'll be bringing the sauce separate from the noodles. It's simple at that point, just mix the noodles and sauce together, throw in some cheese, and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
p.jpeg

p.jpeg

Started on Jenga Wednesday night and have all the boards cut. I started sanding the boards last night, should finish tonight, and start staining the boards tonight or tomorrow. Hoping to assemble the base tomorrow if I can find my Kreg jig... The base will have leveling feet in the bottom eventually so it can be tweaked for whatever surface it sits on.

Tomorrow morning I'll start smoking the point of the brisket I cut in half the other day. It'll let me try out my Inkbird thermometer with a long cook. I tested it last night on the grill with some steak, it doesn't like the grill because you lose so much heat when you open the door that it sets off the low temp alarm every time.
Sounds awesome! Pics aren't working for me though... Mixing Mac onsite sounds good. I finally am getting our Mac recipe dialed in. Reheated is getting better. Hard to balance that.

Excited for Jenga! We want to make a giant set too!

Sounds awesome! Pics aren't working for me though... Mixing Mac onsite sounds good. I finally am getting our Mac recipe dialed in. Reheated is getting better. Hard to balance that.

Excited for Jenga! We want to make a giant set too!

I may try to do another batch this week. I need to have more people to try it though. Lol. I hate wasting it and I can't eat that much mac and cheese. The pictures pull up for me, it's probably because I linked straight from Dropbox. Where do you upload pics to for sharing on here? The others I've done are hosted on the F-150 Forum.

Making it isn't very hard at all, and materials are cheap! Mine is taking a while because I'm staining everything with deck stain. It'll be cooler, and will be protected from the elements if I keep it on my patio.

I may try to do another batch this week. I need to have more people to try it though. Lol. I hate wasting it and I can't eat that much mac and cheese. The pictures pull up for me, it's probably because I linked straight from Dropbox. Where do you upload pics to for sharing on here? The others I've done are hosted on the F-150 Forum.

Making it isn't very hard at all, and materials are cheap! Mine is taking a while because I'm staining everything with deck stain. It'll be cooler, and will be protected from the elements if I keep it on my patio.

for the pics, on this forum anyway, I download to my desktop and then upload to a media album, then right click and copy link from the page on SMF. Or just upload directly below the message box right about----------here (see pic :emoji_grin:)

upload.PNG

This is the Giant Jenga I want to make. sneak some jello shots in there!

jenga.jpg

Staining is a great idea. I need to get on making my set too. always good to have handy for impromptu shenanigans :emoji_thumbsup:

I don't know how I completely missed the "upload a file" button. Lol. Here's Mac pics.
full
full

Oh that is sneaky. Lol. My neighbor asked if I was going to have letters on it to spell words for points, which I hadn't heard of before. Haven't seen the jello shot holder before either. Lol. Staining looks nice, but it does take a good bit longer. Here's the current progress of Jenga.
full

I don't know how I completely missed the "upload a file" button. Lol. Here's Mac pics.
full
full

Oh that is sneaky. Lol. My neighbor asked if I was going to have letters on it to spell words for points, which I hadn't heard of before. Haven't seen the jello shot holder before either. Lol. Staining looks nice, but it does take a good bit longer. Here's the current progress of Jenga.
full
still no pics for some reason...? now you're just teasing us! :emoji_laughing:

WHAT THE HECK. Those were uploaded to an album on here before copying the image address and doing it that way! I'll try uploading a file now. Are you sure it's not your computer? Lol :emoji_laughing:

Attachments

• Photo Jul 15, 7 56 19 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 15, 7 56 19 PM.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Photo Jul 15, 8 32 49 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 15, 8 32 49 PM.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Photo Jul 21, 9 10 07 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 21, 9 10 07 PM.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 9
Got a few minutes so I need to jump in here with a few updates.

-Mac & Cheese looks fantastic!! I liken that stuff to bacon: everybody loves it and it's a staple around here. Can't wait to try it.

-I picked up 75# of mesquite wood a couple days ago. Hopefully that will get me to and through the event.

-Tracy and I went to Costco yesterday and started picking up the staples for the event: plates, napkins, plastic cutlery, etc...

-Gonna need to get more margaritas on my next trip to Costco. We are going through that stuff like Grant went through Richmond.

-Ordered ingredients to make 20 gallons of beer, which should be here tomorrow. That along with what's on the floor should give us almost 60 gallons. If we go through all that, we'll just take up a collection and go pick up some nasty commercial beer

-We need to figure out dinner for Friday. The offer to do burgers was tossed out but I have not heard anything. If something else isn't decided, I'm planning to do 2 Piedmontese Tri Tip roasts on the Santa Maria. That will do for a start and we can fill in the rest of the meal as we go....but some input would be nice.

-I placed another order of Piedmontese beef today along with the one I placed a couple weeks ago. Both will deliver day after tomorrow

-A few days ago Zach asked if anybody had been doing trial runs on what they are offering for this event. I had a big shindig last weekend and was afraid of running out of meat so I did a smoked and reverse seared Piedmontese sirloin roast, which is my offering for Saturday. Here are a couple pics

On the smoker about an hour and a half into it
056.jpg

Smoked about 3 hours and onto the sear burner
074.jpg

All done
077.jpg

Sliced and ready to eat
079.jpg

Although I should have pulled it 2 minutes earlier, this was nothing short of spectacular. It was served along with a 65 day aged Certified Angus Beef prime rib and truth be told, a lot of folks, myself included, liked this better than the prime rib. The cook can be seen in much more detail in the Beef sub-forum under a thread titled "65 Day Aged CAB Prime Rib...."

I think that's all for now but I'll keep following what's going on and dropping in with updates as time permits. Side note though: the party last weekend was pretty good sized and Tracy had a blast. It had been a while since we'd done a bigger event so she was reluctant about this one. She is no more though :emoji_wink: Thankfully, she is getting on board with this and looking forward to it....WHEW!!

Talk to y'all later,
Robert

WHAT THE HECK. Those were uploaded to an album on here before copying the image address and doing it that way! I'll try uploading a file now. Are you sure it's not your computer? Lol :emoji_laughing:

not sure!? but the attachments are showing up now in the last post haha. I'll blame it on my work PC... But i can finally say... it does look great! :emoji_raised_hands:

"not sure!? but the attachments are showing up now in the last post haha. I'll blame it on my work PC... But i can finally say... it does look great! :emoji_raised_hands:"

I'm finally seeing some small pics but not large ones like show up when I post.

If it's your computer Zach, you and I have the same problem because I didn't see anything the first couple attempts either. Did your computer give mine a dose of cyber clap?

Shudder the thought,
Robert

I'm so confused. Lol. I've posted pics before. Maybe I'll have to keep hosting on the F-150 Forum since those seemed to work fine.

But thanks! It's really tasty.

conspiracy theory time haha! Will just have to see it in person... and eat it... :emoji_call_me:

I'm new to the forum (and pretty new to smoking meat) but friends with Robert and Tracy for a while. I plan on attending this event on Friday and Saturday. My wife Susan will also attend Sat. morning. I'll coordinate with Robert on what I can contribute to the festivities.

Welcome T TXRick ! Looking forward to meeting y'all, and everyone else!

"I'm new to the forum (and pretty new to smoking meat) but friends with Robert and Tracy for a while. I plan on attending this event on Friday and Saturday. My wife Susan will also attend Sat. morning. I'll coordinate with Robert on what I can contribute to the festivities."

RICK!! Great to see you amongst us. So happy that you dropped in to see us and say HI.

So Susan won't be here Saturday afternoon for the main event? As much as she loves BBQ that's kind of a surprise.

Welcoming a good friend,
Robert

"Barely 2 weeks left!"

Can't wait!!

IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME IN LAGO!!

The big brown truck arrived yesterday led by that weird little Reindeer with the funky nose and he was bearing tidings of joy. I got several huge boxes of Piedmontese beef and a bunch of beer making ingredients. Looks like I might have to quit my job so I have time to make all the beer....and hopefully learn how to cook a steak in the next two weeks.

Formulating my letter of resignation,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky