First Official CenTex Que & Brew August 9th-11th

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Time for another update.

BEER: Sadly I'm running of of time and will not get the last 10 gallons done before the event. We will however have 8 kegs: 6 on the floor and 2 on tap in the utility room. One of the 6 will get tapped on the patio Friday afternoon.

ADDRESS: Thus far only one person has sent me a PM asking for my address. Some of you already know where we live of course, but there are others that have never been here before.

GENERAL: I have several crock pots, a couple of electric skillets with lids, and a huge electric roasting pan that can be used to keep food warm if necessary.

WEATHER: The extended forecast is saying it's going to be HOT!! We will likely be in triple digit temps. Dress comfortably, drink lots of fluids (beer and margaritas) to stay hydrated, and plan to spend a bunch of time in the pool.

FOOD: I noticed a strange absence in the menu offerings. Nobody is planning to bring Cole Slaw. Anybody feel like making some? If you're inclined to do it but don't have a recipe, let me know. I have one that is really easy but really, really good.

MARGARITAS: Well as fate would have it, Tracy and I went through a lot of the stuff I bought a few weeks ago so stopped today and got two more cases and a few racks of St. Louis pork ribs that I may play with Saturday. I'll be making at least one more trip to Costco so if we are looking low again on the margaritas, I'll just grab some more.

FRIDAY DINNER: Still no thoughts from anybody on what to do for dinner Friday. Anybody have any ideas? Ricky offered to do burgers and I offered to buy the Chuck Roast, grind the meat, and press the burgers. No response though. I'm still planning to do a couple of Piedmontese Beef tri tips on the rotisserie if nothing else comes to light but we will need to figure out what to serve with them.

ICE: Although my ice maker will do 100# of ice a day it only holds 30# in the bin. I started bagging ice today and will get a bunch set aside in case the ice maker can't keep up.

I think that's it for now.....
Robert

Got together with tx smoker tx smoker last night and discussed next weekends festivities over dinner and drinks. Here’s a little precursor to the event.

Attachments

• 07E59AE4-2BCF-47BD-BC9E-91734E2B65B2.jpeg
    07E59AE4-2BCF-47BD-BC9E-91734E2B65B2.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 21
  • CB58591C-775C-4555-9D78-8BCBB30475CF.jpeg
    CB58591C-775C-4555-9D78-8BCBB30475CF.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 55642AD1-7582-47BD-B7E6-4EBD62619C8A.jpeg
    55642AD1-7582-47BD-B7E6-4EBD62619C8A.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 4783E73C-F1E8-4D6A-9128-E70306E44D35.jpeg
    4783E73C-F1E8-4D6A-9128-E70306E44D35.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 840775EF-507D-4052-89A3-718C50684367.jpeg
    840775EF-507D-4052-89A3-718C50684367.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 0A8E46CC-FEC1-46D3-8CB7-AC68E3827EEB.jpeg
    0A8E46CC-FEC1-46D3-8CB7-AC68E3827EEB.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 22
  • D5CC8481-7118-48E1-B8B1-B620096744C8.jpeg
    D5CC8481-7118-48E1-B8B1-B620096744C8.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 24
Lookin' good buddy....real good!! Glad you decided to join up at the house. This was a basic meal but it sure beat the heck out of fried cheese curds at Chili's :emoji_laughing:

See ya next Friday!!
Robert

"Y’all, I can vouch that the premix margaritas are good. HEB was giving out samples earlier so I stopped to get a little taste. She gave me a taste of each flavor (mango is WAY too sweet) and they’re great!"

Interesting story. That's precisely how Tracy found the margaritas we have been enjoying. Shopping at HEB, stopped at the sample table, liked it, and got a couple bottles. Then I found the exact same stuff at Costco for a lot less money. Same bottle, same margarita, and even the same label, just different writing due to it being re-labeled for Kirkland.

It's good stuff!!
Robert

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Can’t wait to meet everyone next weekend! Got a some chicken breast, pig shots, a few different “poppers” from a local meat market, boneless pork ribs, and some sausage rounds on the smoker with some strawberry margarita in the RTIC. Gotta get a preview of next weekend. :emoji_wink:

Attachments

• B7175A50-5254-4F34-AFD9-A39DE8B9963D.jpeg
    B7175A50-5254-4F34-AFD9-A39DE8B9963D.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: bigdaddy4760
howdy y'all! sorry. life got in the way the past few days.... back on the saddle for now.

As for dinner Friday, I think Burgers would be a quick easy and a crowd pleaser for sure.

snakehead snakehead that's some good looking vittles!

tareed94 tareed94 same to you! excited for this!

"Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Can’t wait to meet everyone next weekend! Got a some chicken breast, pig shots, a few different “poppers” from a local meat market, boneless pork ribs, and some sausage rounds on the smoker with some strawberry margarita in the RTIC. Gotta get a preview of next weekend. :emoji_wink:"

Great looking stuff and we appreciate the menu offerings. It appears as though it'll all be cooked when you get here, but I still feel compelled to check. Are you going to need cooker space for anything? I'm only asking so that if you do, I can make sure to have it available for you.

Robert

Great looking stuff and we appreciate the menu offerings. It appears as though it'll all be cooked when you get here, but I still feel compelled to check. Are you going to need cooker space for anything? I'm only asking so that if you do, I can make sure to have it available for you.

Robert

No sir, no smoker space needed. I'll need a burner somewhere though for cheese sauce for the mac and cheese though.

It does not look like I'll be able to get cornhole done though unfortunately.

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
No sir, no smoker space needed. I'll need a burner somewhere though for cheese sauce for the mac and cheese though.

Fair enough. I believe we can accommodate you with that request :emoji_laughing:

Robert

I have a request where beer and margaritas are concerned. Please taste either or both before pouring yourself a full cup. If you do pour a full cup, please make sure to drink it. It pains me to go around the day after a party and see a dozen or more half-full cups all over the place. I guess I only ask that people please take into consideration the time, effort, and expense involved getting this stuff ready. We don't mind a bit sharing but it sucks to see it go to waste. Although I make the beer at home, it's not free to do it :emoji_wink:

Thank you!!
Robert

Lookin' good buddy....real good!! Glad you decided to join up at the house. This was a basic meal but it sure beat the heck out of fried cheese curds at Chili's :emoji_laughing:

See ya next Friday!!
Robert

Sure as heck did, and it’s always good times hanging out with you thanks again!

"It's almost game time!"

So....when you get to the stadium for the game, there are multiple entrances. Please do not go to the front door, especially if you're parked in the driveway. You'd just about need to call Uber for a ride to the front door. At the back end of the garage is a second entrance. That door will be unlocked, you're family, we are expecting you, so just come on in. I'd also ask that you please not ring the doorbell. It drives the dog nuts wondering who has come to see her now. When you get into the house, just walk into the rotunda and turn left. You can either go through the kitchen or down the hall between the kitchen and dining room. Either will take you to the door that leads to the patio. Another option is just go down the short set of stairs at the back end of the driveway and follow the yellow brick road through the gate into the back yard. That will take you directly to the pool and the patio.

Vacuuming the welcome mat,
Robert

Last edited:
"On August 3rd, I'll find out if I can get out of this meeting on the 10th and will confirm our plans."

@GreytQ Just curious....what's the verdict? Will you and yours be joining us? Sure would be great to meet you!!

Forever hopeful,
Robert

Hey y'all...I just finished slicing a small batch of Buckboard Bacon that I smoked last Sunday. This is to add to the breakfast food coffers for our event.

Here it is alongside a Piedmontese Beef brisket flat
021.jpg

A couple pics of it sliced
029.jpg

030.jpg

Anybody wanna try some? This is really good stuff!!

Sweetening the pot,
Robert

Well folks, Zach made the final decision on dinner for Friday night....that being hamburgers. There have been several things added to my plate for this event and as of now I don't have time to buy the meat, grind it, and press the patties. I just ordered 24 1/4 pound, 85% lean hamburger patties from Piedmontese Beef, along with a few other goodies :-) I also have two 4-packs of 1/4 pound hot dogs (also Piedmontese Beef) in the freezer that we can get out if necessary. Never had their hamburgers but I'll tell you that the dogs are amazing!! Even Tracy loves them and has asked for them on a few occasions. Now we need buns, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, cheese, tater chips, more pickles, etc....

Off to Costco again!!
Robert

Well folks, Zach made the final decision on dinner for Friday night....that being hamburgers. There have been several things added to my plate for this event and as of now I don't have time to buy the meat, grind it, and press the patties. I just ordered 24 1/4 pound, 85% lean hamburger patties from Piedmontese Beef, along with a few other goodies :-) I also have two 4-packs of 1/4 pound hot dogs (also Piedmontese Beef) in the freezer that we can get out if necessary. Never had their hamburgers but I'll tell you that the dogs are amazing!! Even Tracy loves them and has asked for them on a few occasions. Now we need buns, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, cheese, tater chips, more pickles, etc....

Off to Costco again!!
Robert
Robert, Sue and I would be happy to help out with di,her on Friday, we could bring buns, condiments and all the vegetable fixings, let me know how many are coming and what you would like to have and we will do.that.

Thank you Doug!! That takes a huge load off of me. At this snapshot in time we are looking at about 15 people for dinner Friday. There could be a few others that come dragging in though.

WHEW!!
Robert

DOUG: I wrote my reply yesterday but apparently didn't hit the send button. Don't think I've ever done that before :-)

ZACH: Looky at what Santa Claus brought...just for you. He did ask that you share though
keg.jpg

We had a visitor stop by and ask where the line was to get BBQ. I told him he was a few days early so he'll probably be back this weekend.

Skunk.jpg

EVERYBODY: One day to go!! Can't wait to see all of you. As of now we do in fact have 8 kegs of beer so we should be good there. I have stock piled about 80# of ice and will get 20 more in the freezer to ensure we don't run out. It's gonna be hot!! When I checked the forecast yesterday they were saying high temps of 103. That means more like 107 to 108. For all of you that are planing to camp out, you may want to consider "camping" on the floor in the game room. There's no way in the world I could sleep with it that hot and I don't expect any of you to. If everybody crashes in there that room may look like a BBQ junkie's version of a crack house but it'll be a lot more comfortable than sleeping outside in the heat.

Ribs and sirloin roasts are defrosting and my Piedmontese Beef order will be here today, which includes the burgers for Friday. Got some cool news too. Joe, my sales manager at Piedmontese has shipped a box full of promotional goodies down for our gathering. I have no idea what will be in the box but it's still a great gesture...and a pretty strong indication that perhaps I've spent too much money with him the past couple months :emoji_anguished: If anybody is inclined to take a look at the absolute best beef I've ever eaten, here is the link

https://www.piedmontese.com/ Should you decide to give it a try, please let me know. Joe gave me a special promo code that will get you a considerable discount any time. You don't need an advertised sale, just enter the code and you'll see the price drop a bunch. He said I could share it but asked that I do so on an individual basis versus putting it out there publicly.

I'll be in town a bit later today as well as tomorrow early. If anybody can think of anything we / they need to be successful with your cooking endeavors, please let me know and I'll take care of it.

Gotta run for now....
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky