First Official CenTex Que & Brew August 9th-11th

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Matt_Tex Matt_Tex You have been tagged due to a possible interest in this event....especially since you only live about 200 yards away. Matt is a neighbor and fellow meat smoking enthusiast and he has an awesome family!! We've shared a lot of war stories and a few meals out on the patio....and his kids love the pool :-) He joined SMF a couple of days ago and I'm hoping to see him chime in and join us.

Welcoming a friend,
Robert

Hey guys, I am Matt. Ha. Just wanted to introduce myself. Hope everyone is well. I have been reading ya'll posts and looks like I have at least three things in common with all of you. I like to cook, eat and drink. I love learning new things about all of those subjects. Look forward to meeting all of you in August. Much thanks to Robert for the invite. I have a Jimmy Buffet Margarita Machine I can contribute. Its mainly just a glorified ice shaver and blender. But it looks cool and works well. It looks like most of the protein is taken care of let me know If I can do a side.
Thanks again,
Matt

Hey guys, I am Matt. Ha. Just wanted to introduce myself. Hope everyone is well. I have been reading ya'll posts and looks like I have at least three things in common with all of you. I like to cook, eat and drink. I love learning new things about all of those subjects. Look forward to meeting all of you in August. Much thanks to Robert for the invite. I have a Jimmy Buffet Margarita Machine I can contribute. Its mainly just a glorified ice shaver and blender. But it looks cool and works well. It looks like most of the protein is taken care of let me know If I can do a side.
Thanks again,
Matt
Welcome Matt! Looking forward to meeting you and yours. Can't not have a marg machine! it'll be warm out so some frozen drinks will go down easy.

I think as this grows we can shuffle some stuff around. If there is something particular you are proud of and want to show off, by all means chime in and we can try and work around everyone. Thanks again.

Zach

Reactions: bigdaddy4760
Great God!! This is getting huge!! There will be enough food to feed all of Texas it looks like :-)

Quick update: I just ran into my neighbor/friend/new SMF member Matt while walking the puppies. He posted this morning but apparently the Mods have not released it yet. He and his amazing family will be joining us Friday afternoon and Saturday for the main event.

Zach, I just checked post 2 and it looks like you got everything great job staying on top of everything!! It's a lot to keep up with and I can't help but think it's gonna get bigger. We are gaining steam in a hurry!!

Updating...
Robert

Last edited:
Great God!! This is getting huge!! There will be enough food to feed all of Texas it looks like :-)

Quick update: I just ran into my neighbor/friend/new SMF member Matt while walking the puppies. He posted this morning but apparently the Mods have not released it yet. He and his amazing family will be joining us Friday afternoon and Saturday for the main event.

Zach, i just checked post 2 and it looks like you got everything great job staying on top of everything!! It's a lot to keep up with and i can't help but think it's gonna get bigger. we are gaining steam in a hurry!!

Updating...
Robert

Thanks for the confirmation. This is definitively growing to what we were hoping for. :emoji_call_me::emoji_raised_hands:

"Hey guys, I am Matt. Ha. Just wanted to introduce myself. Hope everyone is well. I have been reading ya'll posts and looks like I have at least three things in common...."

Well it figures, the mods released his post as I was typing. I believe Matt and his amazing wife have a few things in mind for contributions but I'll refrain from comment and let him fill in.

Welcome Matt!! Can't wait to pull out the stops for this one and enjoy more time with you, Erika, and the kids. Glad you decided to join is.

Robert

"Thanks for the confirmation. This is definitively growing to what we were hoping for. :emoji_call_me::emoji_raised_hands:"

We were hoping for one thing but realistic expectations were different than hopes. Based on our original expectations, I believe we have already exceeded that by about 500%.....and we still have almost a month to go. Not bad for a first-time gig IMHO :-)

Ya gotta love the TX approach to food!!
Robert

Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to make sure I had all my ducks lined up first. Haha. So my friend Austin is in from Dallas. My friend coming in to Houston is coming in Thursday and is leaving on Monday so I’m good to come up early Saturday morning (tentative plan is 9AM). Austin is planning to be coming because he is intrigued, so there will be two of us. I’ll post a picture later of my two pups, but they’re as sweet as can be. Sadie is a little so/so on male dogs but I’ll make sure she behaves so don’t worry. I’ll be bringing a tent with me. I see nobody has committed to a Bluetooth speaker, I can bring that or I can bring a full radio system that plugs in (more likely since it sounds like we’ll be having a full on party). I’m planning to make some Jenga or Cornhole before then since I don’t see any mention of outdoor games. If there’s anything y’all need us to bring let me know! I’ve got a couple coolers and certainly ain’t afraid to try new recipes and bring stuff to this shindig that I’ve never made before. I’m
Not one to be shy. Haha

"Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to make sure I had all my ducks lined up first. Haha. So my friend Austin is in from Dallas. My friend coming in to Houston is coming in Thursday and is leaving on Monday so I’m good to come up early Saturday morning (tentative plan is 9AM). Austin is planning to be coming because he is intrigued, so there will be two of us."

This is hardly a late reply since we are still almost a month away :-) Great news that you and your friend will be coming to visit. Appreciate your offerings and cannot wait to meet you. Heck, you have a good part of Texas covered just by bringing your friend: Austin from Dallas. Sorry....couldn't pass that up:emoji_wink:

Looking forward to it,
Robert

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
This is hardly a late reply since we are still almost a month away :-) Great news that you and your friend will be coming to visit. Appreciate your offerings and cannot wait to meet you. Heck, you have a good part of Texas covered just by bringing your friend: Austin from Dallas. Sorry....couldn't pass that up:emoji_wink:

Looking forward to it,
Robert

Haha. That’s very true. Anything y’all think of that we need let me know. Seems like main courses are well covered. I can try my hand at some Mac and cheese, or desserts. I’ve been cooking and baking a lot longer than I’ve been smoking. Haha

"Anything y’all think of that we need let me know. Seems like main courses are well covered. I can try my hand at some Mac and cheese, or desserts. I’ve been cooking and baking a lot longer than I’ve been smoking"

Very much appreciate your offer but this event is about you showcasing what you are good at and what you'd be proud to put your name on and serve to a crowd like this. Obviously you've read through the offerings thus far. I'd encourage you to please think about what you can do to fill any of the blanks you may see. I do like the idea of mac and cheese but if there's something you do particularly well, please make the your offering. If it needs to be cooked here, please let me know so I can be sure to have whatever equipment available that you'll need.

Robert

Last edited:
MAJOR BREAKFAST MEAT UPDATE!!

I hooked up with my friend Gerald @snakehead Friday afternoon for libations and to do some catching up. We covered a lot of topics but one in particular of major importance. Gerald requested (insisted??) that he make sausage gravy for breakfast Saturday and/or Sunday morning. Far be it from me to argue but I did add one condition: that he use my homemade breakfast sausage. Strange....I didn't get any complaints from him :-) Fast forward to yesterday morning. I realized that I didn't have any breakfast sausage. OH NO!! Somehow I'd managed to run out. This is not good so I immediately set about fixing the problem and made a big batch of it. As I was putting it into the freezer I did a quick inventory of breakfast meats I have on hand to offer up for our event. Here is what I came up with:

-Maple and brown sugar bacon
-Pepper crusted bacon
-Canadian bacon
-Buckboard bacon
-Dried beef
-Breakfast sausage

All of these are homemade of course. Not a bad offering to toss out there for a bit of variety when it comes time to make breakfast.

Checking the coffers,
Robert

Post 2 updated.

tareed94 tareed94 sounds awesome. Thanks for chiming in and volunterring anything. I put ya up there for games, Mac, Speaker. This is just tentative. You are not obligated. I'm just trying to track any and all ideas.

Looking forward to this shindig!

MAJOR BREAKFAST MEAT UPDATE!!

I hooked up with my friend Gerald @snakehead Friday afternoon for libations and to do some catching up. We covered a lot of topics but one in particular of major importance. Gerald requested (insisted??) that he make sausage gravy for breakfast Saturday and/or Sunday morning. Far be it from me to argue but I did add one condition: that he use my homemade breakfast sausage. Strange....I didn't get any complaints from him :-) Fast forward to yesterday morning. I realized that I didn't have any breakfast sausage. OH NO!! Somehow I'd managed to run out. This is not good so I immediately set about fixing the problem and made a big batch of it. As I was putting it into the freezer I did a quick inventory of breakfast meats I have on hand to offer up for our event. Here is what I came up with:

-Maple and brown sugar bacon
-Pepper crusted bacon
-Canadian bacon
-Buckboard bacon
-Dried beef
-Breakfast sausage

All of these are homemade of course. Not a bad offering to toss out there for a bit of variety when it comes time to make breakfast.

Checking the coffers,
Robert

Variety is the spice of breakfast of the CenTex Gathering...

I believe that's how the saying goes anyways... :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Alright! this shindig is starting to take off. Thought I'd tease ya'll with a few pics of some dry aged American Pepperoni and Finocchiona I sliced up today.

the set reddish in color is the pepperoni

Attachments

• IMG_0981.JPG
    IMG_0981.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0985.JPG
    IMG_0985.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0986.JPG
    IMG_0986.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 9
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky