First corned beef, fat is like jelly (snot)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cannedtuna

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Just pulled the brisket from a typical corned beef brine after 10 days. Whatever fat was on it in the beginning turned into a jelly-like goo. I trimmed it off and the meat is now desalinating in fresh water.

No off putting smells or anything. Any idea if its going to be a problem? Im in eastern Europe and everything here is grass fed if that makes a difference.

not sure if grass fed would do that, i think most cattle eat grass with grain also. maybe i'm wrong. can you give more of your process, ingredients in your brine and maybe someone can help you.

I used a basic brine, no crazy ingredients. Water, proper curing salt, salt, premade corning spice, etc. Im thinking the cut was a little small and was over cured. The outer layer of meat was grey and the inside was deep red. The outer fat was like jelly. 10 days in brine.

20210713_221527.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky