Made some beef tallow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
I saved the fat trimmings from the last 2 briskets I made so that I could replenish our beef tallow supply. This is a really easy thing to do, and we love using it in place of some oils in recipes.

Now this may not be the way you do it, but it's how I've done it for years. I start off by cutting the fat into smallish pieces and dropping them into a pot. I add water to about 1/2" and then bring the heat to high, once the water boils off, I drop the temperature down to where the fat is just kind of simmering, I also add a little kosher salt to the fat at this point, it's not required, but I've always done it. Once all of the fat pieces are pretty crispy, i strain the "liquid gold" through a coffee filter directly into a mason jar.

Take your time, this is another low and slow cook...

This picture shows the fat just after the water boiled off and the fat is beginning to render a bit.
IMG_5031.JPG

After a little while, you'll begin to see the golden wonder begin to emerge
IMG_5037.JPG

IMG_5039.JPG

During the process I dip and strain, I also pull out any smaller pieces that look like they may be getting too dark.. If you scorch this, or burn any fat, it can taint the taste a bit.
IMG_5060.JPG

IMG_5068.JPG

I did this on 2 separate nights, so the bottom solid you see was what I was pouring over from the night before. It had been refrigerated.

Once complete, you can have a few snacks! Some people turn up their nose, but we LOVE the fried fat snacks that come from this process.

IMG_5070.JPG

As I read down through your post, I kept asking myself, "
Will these be cracklings in the end?" and they were.
This makes me such a happy fat man. :emoji_laughing:
From one fat boy to another, why go to the trouble to render down fats if you aren't going to eats the results?

Pork, chicken, and beef cracklins are GREAT IMO... My cardiologist may disagree, but he isn't on this forum! :emoji_sunglasses:

From one fat boy to another, why go to the trouble to render down fats if you aren't going to eats the results?

Pork, chicken, and beef cracklins are GREAT IMO... My cardiologist may disagree, but he isn't on this forum! :emoji_sunglasses:
Either we have the same cardiologist, or there's a conspiracy.

I think "Happy and Fat" is what keeps me going now.

It's the "Old" part that I give the middle finger to on a daily basis.
That's funny! I was talking to another "olde phart" a few days ago about our escapades in the 80s, then it hit us! Yeah, I'll just be fat and happy!
Either we have the same cardiologist, or there's a conspiracy.
I'm telling you, it's a conspiracy! I should also add that my cardiologist is about my size, but tells me to lose weight! LMAO

Screw this, I see chicharrons coming soon! I have 2 pork bellies in the freezer that need to be trimmed!

That is some tasty stuff for sure CB… and the snacks at the end chased with a cold one…. Sign me up! 😉

That's funny! I was talking to another "olde phart" a few days ago about our escapades in the 80s, then it hit us! Yeah, I'll just be fat and happy!

I'm telling you, it's a conspiracy! I should also add that my cardiologist is about my size, but tells me to lose weight! LMAO

Screw this, I see chicharrons coming soon! I have 2 pork bellies in the freezer that need to be trimmed!
That is OK, my cardiologist smokes like a chimney and I don't mean smoking meat either.

Reactions: chopsaw
CB, I too was eyeing those cracklins, nice post on getting the most out of something that a lot of folks toss.

Looks really good! I need to do this!

I miss my last Dr, every time I went in for a checkup the first words out of his mouth was " what have you smoked lately?"

Look forward to your next post as well!

Ryan

Reactions: 801driver
Reactions: SmokinEdge
CB, I too was eyeing those cracklins, nice post on getting the most out of something that a lot of folks toss.
I love eating those things!

Sadly I don't save as much as I should when I'm in a hurry, but the bride has now designated a "fat bag" so that will help.

Looks good CB. Making tallow and crakl'ins for human consumption is something we never remember to do around here. Most of our rendered fat goes toward bird food.

Point for sure
Chris

You're going to love using it! I haven't tried the slow cooker method yet. Let us know how it goes.

That critter will hold a LOT of fat!
Great first try for attempting during the week when I cant babysit the stove. Next time tho, I’ll do it when I can watch it the whole time and I’ll do it on the stove. The slow cooker did great but it took it two days (probably due to this newbie not cutting the brisket trim small). I cant wait to make dough for a pasty dinner! Im pretty stoked to be part of this forum and look forward to try new things.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Awesome that's the way we did lard in 50-gallon pot over a wood fire. Love those cracklings afterwards to. Grandmother would make biscuits with cracklings pieces in them.

Warren.

Warren
That was hog fat on killing day every year made sausage cut rest of hogs up.
Was from 8 to ten hogs.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky