Pastrami from store bought corned beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Rich, that is fantastic! Great work. I may try this again. We don't have an Instant Pot or a pressure cooker. Was the flavor very different comparing the IP vs no IP? And that rye looks great!

Reactions: chopsaw
. I might try smoking it from frozen for more smoke
I bet it works fine . Run lower temp for a few hours ?
If you're gonna finish in the instant pot lets talk about the time .

Wow what a great looking sammie all around.
Thanks Warren .
Rich, that is fantastic! Great work. I may try this again. We don't have an Instant Pot or a pressure cooker. Was the flavor very different comparing the IP vs no IP? And that rye looks great!
Thanks . Mike , it was just awesome . The tenderness from the steam / pressure finish made it I think .

Reactions: MJB05615
I bet it works fine . Run lower temp for a few hours ?
If you're gonna finish in the instant pot lets talk about the time .
OK, not doing it frozen. Thought I had a presoaked one but we must have used it. So starting from scratch, frozen flat of corned beef. Soaking now, will change water a few times and season, smoke, instapot tomorrow.

season, smoke, instapot tomorrow.
Sounds good . I did the first one smoked to 160 ish , then into the IP . High pressure for 30 minutes . Then released the pressure and probe . Wasn't tender enough , so I went back under high pressure for another 30 minutes . Released and probed . Still not tender enough , so I went a third time , released , probed , and still had some resistance but called it done .

The second one I smoked to 160 ish , then went 50 minutes under high pressure with a natural release . Fantastic .

Just think about it going in . I don't want you to end up with falling apart . Might adjust that time to less than 50 with a natural release for a first try . You can always go back under pressure if it doesn't pass the tenderness test .

Reactions: clifish
SO......I dont have a IP....If I wanted to use my SV....Should I Smoke first for a few hours then finish in SV or vice versa?

Jim

Yeah I wouldn't pass any of that up. Nice job as usual.
Adam , thanks bud . Appreciate that comment . I was hoping they still had some of that cut at the store , but it was all gone .

SO......I dont have a IP....If I wanted to use my SV....Should I Smoke first for a few hours then finish in SV or vice versa?
Jim , Al has a thread on smoke , then SV . I've used it and it comes out good . Smoked to 150 then SV at 150 ish for 24 hours . Just check his thread in case I have the time and temp wrong .
These are from that cook ,
Smoked ,
20201017_133020.jpg
SV'd ,
20201017_133446.jpg
Sliced ,
20201018_165425.jpg

• Love
Reactions: JLeonard
Jim , Al has a thread on smoke , then SV . I've used it and it comes out good . Smoked to 150 then SV at 150 ish for 24 hours . Just check his thread in case I have the time and temp wrong .
These are from that cook ,
Smoked ,
View attachment 692406
SV'd ,
View attachment 692407
Sliced ,
View attachment 692409
Yeah sitting here at work...googling for my answer....And what was in the first hit....^^^^^^ :emoji_laughing:
Should have just searched here first!
Thanks for the reply!

Jim

That looks fantastic and we love pastrami,
Thanks Charles . I love it too , and this turned out as some of the best I've had . I'm ready to do another one to see if it comes out the same .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky