Pastrami from store bought corned beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Your second one had me drooling here before breakfast.
Thanks David . I thought about it all night , then got up and sliced some for breakfast .
I have to try it again.
Not sure if you had subpar results are what , but I think the cut makes a difference . For me the flat didn't come out as tender as this second one did .
I've also done them smoked to 145 , cooled and sliced / eaten cold . Pretty darn good that way too .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Sandwich on some homemade rye bread with hot mustard .
692342-565868eab46e4a3b3e103d424b1232c1.jpg
Boy oh boy, that looks like those high stack deli sandwiches 👍👍. I'm glad you are experimenting with the Instant Pot and getting some baseline pressure times and results for dialing in the perfect tenderness.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I've grown up around conventional pressure cookers and pressure canners, but many people shy away from them. I have noticed that tenderness can vary from brand-to-brand, and for store-bought corned briskets I buy flats (which have a strip of point) from Sam's Club. I also make a weak beefy broth which gives a rich broth for dunking or making a Reuben soup.

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm glad you are experimenting with the Instant Pot and getting some baseline pressure times and results for dialing in the perfect tenderness.
Thanks for looking , and the advice / idea on the pressure finish . I want to do another and see if it comes out the same .
I had been doing brisket flats from raw at high pressure for 50 minutes for roast beef and taco meat . That's where I came up with the time . I'm thinking the natural release has something to do with it too .

I added the link to your thread where this came from . Wanted to do it the other day , but forgot .

Thanks for looking , and the advice / idea on the pressure finish . I want to do another and see if it comes out the same .
I had been doing brisket flats from raw at high pressure for 50 minutes for roast beef and taco meat . That's where I came up with the time . I'm thinking the natural release has something to do with it too .

I added the link to your thread where this came from . Wanted to do it the other day , but forgot .
Natural release is important for a number of meals that are cooked under pressure. My canner has a gauge, so I have more control on the pressure (and of course higher pressure = higher temperature. Another one was marketed as being "safer" because the pressure is fixed at 8#.

I'm hoping a few more of the forum's Instant Pot users will also be trying the pressure finish, so once a range of times starts to evolve... I'd like to post some Instant Pot times on the pastrami page of my recipe site.

Turned 2 store bought corned beef cuts into pastrami . The first was a point end , so had some of the flat on it .
Soaked a couple hours , the coated with black pepper and paprika . Decided to follow thirdeye thirdeye advice and use my instant pot to finish . Used a couple inches of water and a rack to keep the meat dry . Did 30 minutes a couple times over . Came out pretty good .
View attachment 692362
Sandwich on some homemade rye bread with hot mustard .
View attachment 692363
The second one was just the point itself . No flat .
Did a short soak , then used the same rub and smoked to 150 or so .
This time I went into the instant pot . On a rack with a couple inches of water .
I went 50 minutes at high pressure with a natural release .
It was like jello when it came out , but still sliced as it should .
This was by far some of the best I've ever had . Still can't believe how tender it was .
Off the smoker , I used the SmokeFire with Lumberjack hickory .
View attachment 692354
Had to cut that tail off to get it to fit in the pot .
This is after 50 minutes and the release .
View attachment 692355
Sliced warm , right from the pot . Tender , but still held together .
Hit it just right , got lucky I guess .
View attachment 692356

I made up some sourdough rye bread to use with this .
View attachment 692364
View attachment 692367
Used the last of it to make a sandwich for lunch yesterday .
Finally found the Nathan's horseradish pickles .
View attachment 692357
I'm liking the point only for this . Great texture and fat .
Gonna cure my own when the price comes down a bit .
View attachment 692358
Made a fantastic sandwich . Hot pastrami with kraut and Swiss is tough to beat .
View attachment 692359
Oops! Almost forgot the mustard .
View attachment 692361
Thanks for lookin' Figured I'd give the sandwich thread some action .
oh heavens yes. I just got baptised into the pastrami making congregation. your look great.

Reactions: chopsaw and kevinwi
oh heavens yes. I just got baptised into the pastrami making congregation.
Thanks . Just now saw your thread . Like I said over there yours looks fantastic . It's hard to stop eating it when it's right that's for sure .
Thanks for lookin' .

Reactions: fxsales1959
Not sure if you had subpar results are what , but I think the cut makes a difference

Thanks for the comments.

My first one was very nice as I followed Al's SmokinAl SmokinAl way. It turned out nice . just have to do it again.
But, now I think I am looking at Instapots, that I did not know I needed. :emoji_anguished:

David

You won't be sorry buying an Instant pot . I have 2 of the 6 qt. Use it quite a bit .

Looking now to see all about them.

Do you think that a double pot with a steamer insert would do close to the same , or is it the pressure that really helps to tenderize the meat .

Incase I get vetoed on the insta pot , as I just picked up a air fryer oven last week, lol :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_sunglasses:
That I had to deal with some crazy eyes for a couple days already.

David

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Do you think that a double pot with a steamer insert would do close to the same , or is it the pressure that really helps to tenderize the meat .
The pressure plays into it for sure . Steam finish is the way they do it I think . Don't really know anything about that as far as how , or how long .

If I wasn't using the instant pot I would wrap and let it ride like a brisket , or use the SV . I don't think the SV gives as good of result as the instant pot myself .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky