Made some beef tallow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We used to raise 2 pigs each year growing up.

Mom and dad saved empty metal coffee cans.

We would use cheese cloth to strain the rendered lard into coffee the coffee cans and covered with a plastic lid or some plastic wrap secured with rubber bands.

Good stuff.

Thanks for stirring a memory!

I saved the fat trimmings from the last 2 briskets I made so that I could replenish our beef tallow supply. This is a really easy thing to do, and we love using it in place of some oils in recipes.

Now this may not be the way you do it, but it's how I've done it for years. I start off by cutting the fat into smallish pieces and dropping them into a pot. I add water to about 1/2" and then bring the heat to high, once the water boils off, I drop the temperature down to where the fat is just kind of simmering, I also add a little kosher salt to the fat at this point, it's not required, but I've always done it. Once all of the fat pieces are pretty crispy, i strain the "liquid gold" through a coffee filter directly into a mason jar.
the first couple of briskets i did, i just pitched the trimmings... but then ... i realized that ALL of those recipes that call for "vegetable oil" would be soooooooooo much more delicious with beef tallow. plus i needed some tallow to add when i wrap. really does make a difference in the juiciness of the bisket. plus, what else are ya going to do for the 18+ hours you're babysitting that fire. guy's gotta eat, right?

We used to raise 2 pigs each year growing up.

Mom and dad saved empty metal coffee cans.

We would use cheese cloth to strain the rendered lard into coffee the coffee cans and covered with a plastic lid or some plastic wrap secured with rubber bands.

Good stuff.

Thanks for stirring a memory!
I used to hate those days, now I miss them, and the people, a lot.
the first couple of briskets i did, i just pitched the trimmings... but then ... i realized that ALL of those recipes that call for "vegetable oil" would be soooooooooo much more delicious with beef tallow. plus i needed some tallow to add when i wrap. really does make a difference in the juiciness of the bisket. plus, what else are ya going to do for the 18+ hours you're babysitting that fire. guy's gotta eat, right?
Now you're talking! Also the snacks are great at the end!

So happy to see I am not the only one who eats these brisket cracklings. As a kid in the early seventies my grandmother would trim pork chops in the morning and make the most amazing cracklings. I've made them many times but they just don't taste like they did back then. Obviously I need to get some better pork. 50 some odd years later I still have a friend tell me how amazing those were and how mad his mom was when he told her as a 7 yr. old that he ate "fried pork chop fat" and could she make them, LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
If you scorch this, or burn any fat, it can taint the taste a bit.
For this reason I'm a big fan of wet rendering the tallow with water - far more forgiving and I often find the yield is better and there's far less taste/odor taint.

I actually did this outside last weekend. I boiled the grinded tallow for 2-3 hours, then threw the pot in a snowbank (it's like 5F here) and let it solidify overnight.

Pop the fat disc out the next day, melt the tallow and then run it through a coffee filter.

--

The gritty bits you could opt to fry and save; Throw them on a salad, on top of a baked tater, or use your imagination.

we cut up 2 beef last saturday, 2 more this saturday and 2 more next weekend. then i will render out all the kidney knobs. makes the best white tallow. all the other familys who butcher with us dont take any of that kinda stuff so we keep it and use it. makes the best hash browns ever!!! i usually render mine in the oven in a big shallow stock/ soup pot.

I, for one, miss those fast-food french fries when they were cooked in beef tallow.
I found a place in (Oceanside, CA, just north of San Diego) that makes their fries in beef tallow. Tanner's Prime Burger. I haven't been but will at some point as my daughter is going to school there for the next few years.

I, for one, miss those fast-food french fries when they were cooked in beef tallow.
I worked a McYucks as a kid and literally the week I started they switched over. The before and after was met with great dismay. My franchise owner was p-o'd with a capital P. The store had quite a few blocks they had pre-ordered so we did get to enjoy what the once famous McFry was supposed to taste like for some time after.

McYucks used to actually be ok. The breakfast burrito mix (I still use the recipe) was made fresh, we had chicken fajitas and the fajita mix was cooked right on the flat top, every egg we used was cracked in house, and the pies were fried. The fresh fried cherry pies with a bit of ice cream to dip them in, that was something beautiful.

Now the burgers were always meh, but most everything else (if it was fresh) was pretty tasty - and if you made your own burger to eat at break time you could help those out by tossing some onions on the grill, putting the burger on top of the onions, and closing the top part of the grill (we had fancy top and bottom grills for burgers, not all did)

A McRib with no bbq sauce, cheese, mayo, lettuce and pickles was beyond delicious.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky