Apple pie shine.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
First go at this. I like the store bought shine. But at 27.00 a quart mason jar. I felt it was time to give it a go.
2 liters of Everclear
200 ML of Cpt Morgan spiced rum
1 gallon apple cider
2 quarts apple juice
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar.
Heat everything but the booze to to slow boil for 10 minutes. Pull from heat and allow to cool to room temp.

Then add booze and stir. Then bottle. Ended up with 23 pints. Had a partial that me and my friend tried. It's very good now. But after it sets a few weeks it'll be even better I'm told.

P9173086.JPG
P9173087.JPG

Last edited:
She has a bang to it! If my math is correct. It should be hitting right around 46%, 92 proof. I'll find out tomorrow. A friend of mine has a Hydrometer. So I can find out for sure.

Just curious Steve, what proof of the Everclear did you use? They make different proofs, but some are only available in certain areas. I think here where I live, the 151 proof is available...

It’s definitely a regional thing here in “coal cracker” country. Everclear works, but people here insist it has to be made with Four Queens.

Oh, I also wanted to ask...you gonna drink that warm?

I am originally from NEPA and have never heard of boilo until college, which is weird because I feel like I should have heard of it before that.

It’s definitely a regional thing here in “coal cracker” country. Everclear works, but people here insist it has to be made with Four Queens.

Oh, I also wanted to ask...you gonna drink that warm?
Oh, hell no! Cold for sure. lol.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
I would not mind a glsss of that Apple Pie! Thanks for posting the recipe.
My family is from Eynon, a small town a few miles East of Scranton. Grandpa and some Uncles, worked the area mines into the 60's. I too have never heard of Boilo, though, it has a few similarities to Polish Krupnick. A Honey Spiced Vodka served around the Holidays. That Grandpa did make and liked to treat guests. The Boilo would be A LOT stronger but, it sure sounds good to me...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky