Golden Syrup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
I have a recipe for sourdough banana bread that calls for a top glaze of golden syrup after the bread has cooled.
The recipe says this is a UK based syrup. So I did the big G search and found the recipe to make golden syrup.

This is close to a simple syrup for drinks.

Easy 3 ingredients.

1 1/4 cups water (300 ml)
4 cups (800 g) cane sugar (for a deeper flavor you can substitute a little bit of brown sugar if desired but will need to use a digital thermometer and take the syrup to 240-250*
2 tablespoons lemon juice (either fresh or bottled will work but fresh produces a better flavor.

Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and stir to combine. Bring it to a boil, stirring regularly to prevent burning until the sugar is dissolved. Stir very gently to prevent sugar water from splashing up the sides of the saucepan. Once boiling gently stir in the lemon juice. Reduce the heat to a very low and gentle simmer.
(I use "3" on my induction cooktop but this will vary from cooktop to cooktop) Leave the saucepan uncovered. DO NOT STIR the syrup again. Let it simmer on very low for 40-60 minutes or longer until the sugar is a rich amber color.

Note: If your syrup is too thick and stiff you can reheat it, adding a little bit of water. If your syrup is too runny then you need to let the syrup caramelize longer.

Turn off the heat, let it sit for a few minutes, then pour the hot syrup into a glass jar and let it cool completely before closing the jar with tight sealing lid.

Store your golden syrup at room temperature where it will keep for several months.

The 300ml of water is in the pot.
Adding 800g cane sugar.
IMG_4012.jpg

Just added the 2T of fresh lemon juice. Now follow the directions.
IMG_4013.jpg

Done and doing a 3 min sit in the pot.
IMG_4018.jpg

Into a clean sterilized mason jar.
IMG_4019.jpg

Now let it cool.
IMG_4020.JPG

Got thicker overnight and to me it got darker?
IMG_4021.JPG

Reactions: JLeonard
I almost ordered a can on Amazon the other day after finding some great-sounding recipes by a retired British cook on YT...gonna try this for sure!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky