Step by Step Chicken / Smoked Deer Sausage Gumbo From Louisiana

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Very nice man!! I used to make a similar gumbo w wild duck and deer sausage. I would smoke the duck a few hours and then cover w water and simmer till tender etc. then my wife discovered she had the gluten allergy and I haven’t made it since. I need to try the roux with some rice flower I guess- just afraid it won’t be the same
Timber
Thanks Timber, goose and duck are fantastic in gumbo. I'm out of both lol. I'm gonna ask around and see if anyone around me has ever tried something like rice flower.

Reactions: Timber II
Thanks Cajun! I appreciate that! It’s a all day event making gumbo like that so I haven’t been to eager to gamble lol. I just plucked a few more woodies for the pot this morn…..if you were closer I could hook you up man!

Very nice write up! I'll bet that tastes fantastic. I'll also bet you've set up a lot of others to make a fantastic meal now.

Thanks Cajun! I appreciate that! It’s a all day event making gumbo like that so I haven’t been to eager to gamble lol. I just plucked a few more woodies for the pot this morn…..if you were closer I could hook you up man!
Love those woods and teal in a gravy over rice too...man I'm hungry lol
Very nice write up! I'll bet that tastes fantastic. I'll also bet you've set up a lot of others to make a fantastic meal now.
Thanks Jcam, I have learned many recipes here i have never known of, been in Louisiana my whole life. I like to give back and contribute when able.
Speaking of learning from others, I have never had kraut, never seen any family with it either. Just put my first batch in jars today, only 1/2gal, using your recipe. Gonna give it to family for Christmas. I'm not sure how it is supposed to taste since I never had it before, so I'm not sure if it came out right lol. Still taste like mellow cabbage but with a slight tang.

Took a few days to get this posted due to holidays schedules. After gumbo has been cooled in the fridge a day or so, it can be frozen for another day. Typically, chicken and sausage gumbo freeze well.

1 portion of gumbo in the fine china then put in the freezer. Remove the next day and remove from the bowl.
20231225_084735.jpg

After removed from the bowl, vaccum seal for future meal
20231225_085608.jpg

When ready to eat, it fits directly in the bowl, microwave for 3-4 minutes, over rice and meal is complete. This is how single life works for me. HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Very nice man!! I used to make a similar gumbo w wild duck and deer sausage. I would smoke the duck a few hours and then cover w water and simmer till tender etc. then my wife discovered she had the gluten allergy and I haven’t made it since. I need to try the roux with some rice flower I guess- just afraid it won’t be the same
Timber
Asking around, I haven't found anyone that made roux with rice flour. Link below confirmed by several it makes a nice roux. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Timber II
You are right 🤣, monkey gumbo would have certainly happened. Reminds me of the Cajun joke where the dad and son kill something while hunting in fields behind their house. Son says "dad what is that", dad replies "I don't know but go tell mom to make a pot of rice".
My wife always came home with things we "needed", this was one of them. The spoon is actually multifunction, yes it does a great job skimming and pouring things from but it also measures liquids. View attachment 683840
Where did your wide buy the spoon?

Check these out, Keith...

I found these using a Google Image search or maybe a search for vintage Ekco measuring spoon would work...

Reactions: indaswamp
After researching it appears to be a Paula Deen Speckled Red spoon. I have several utensil with identical handles. No telling where she got them, she was always in the right place to find items "needed" lol
I like the way you think....I also make large pots of stuff with the intention of freezing portions for later meals...
It's the best way for singles to survive without Burger King 😄

I've seen that brand of roux advertised and wondered if it was worth trying. Great write up and got me wanting gumbo for breakfast.

Jim
Not a Coonass, but do use a lot of roux in my cooking. :emoji_laughing:

Make up a batch of dry roux, it's cheap and easy, and you'll never be without again. I refuse to stand over a skillet cooking roux in hot oil after making my first 2lb batch of dry roux. Keep it in a ball jar in your spice cabinet, it last forever. And it tastes exactly the same as roux that was cooked in a skillet or Dutch oven to me. Mix the dry roux in a little hot water or better yet broth, and you're good to go.

Reactions: JLeonard
Not a Coonass, but do use a lot of roux in my cooking. :emoji_laughing:

Make up a batch of dry roux, it's cheap and easy, and you'll never be without again. I refuse to stand over a skillet cooking roux in hot oil after making my first 2lb batch of dry roux. Keep it in a ball jar in your spice cabinet, it last forever. And it tastes exactly the same as roux that was cooked in a skillet or Dutch oven to me. Mix the dry roux in a little hot water or better yet broth, and you're good to go.
Yes dry roux is very simple and still very good. For time sake most of what I use is from my Aunt. Cant convince here of any other way but to cook it with oil. She does hers in the oven, takes longer but you only check and stir, don't have to stand over it and watch.

I make my roux with chicken fat, pork fat, and bacon fat....can't substitute the flavor it brings to a gravy with a dry roux....
You are the only other person that has mentioned chicken fat besides my uncle that told me about it. I save chicken fat through the year and usually have enough to make 1-2 quarts in "gumbo season" lol.

Reactions: indaswamp
I had a very old great aunt from Germany that used chicken fat in her breakfast cinnamon raisin rolls. Never underestimate the power of chicken fat lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky