Apple pie shine.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It's all really a shame.
A shame that they don't allow home distilling, it all comes down to taxation and Big Corporations "paid" Lobbyist. "Distilled spirits like whiskey are taxed at the highest rate of any alcohol, far more than either beer or wine".

Here are a couple examples of Big Corp. Like "Jack Daniels" getting what they want,
The new legislation requires all Tennessee whiskey to be fermented from a mash containing at least 51% corn, filtered through maple charcoal and aged in new oak barrels. This describes pretty much to a tee Jack Daniel’s own whiskey-making process, which is no coincidence, given that Jack Daniel’s parent company Brown-Forman had a hand in drafting the bill, according to Tennessee state Rep. Bill Sanderson.

Lobbying the Tennessee state legislature on behalf of Jack Daniel’s is a long one. In fact, it goes all the way back to the 1930s, when a state senator by the name of Lem Motlow helped usher through a bill to re-legalize distillation in his state. (It’d been illegal since 1909.) Lem Motlow was the nephew of a man named Jack Daniel, and he happened to own a little distillery named after his uncle.

There are Craft Distilleries opening up all over and they're well received, is this a trend?
Who knows.

The home distiller would expand on the industry like Home Brewing has done.
It can actually creates revenue, look what Home brewing has done for the craft beer industry.

Just an example
North Carolina, generated $1.2 billion and 10,000 jobs in 2014.

Some of these "Artisan" brewers will get big to the point they sell out to bigger companies and what's sad is the bigger company may discontinue the craft beer to save their bottom line, this is where the consumer suffers.

I was born in the 63 and I grew up where the male beverage of choice in my parents crowd was "beer", Schlitz, Piels, Schmidts, Pabst, Schaefer, Rheingold, Ortliebs etc...
Two cases a week would be the average.
Their Social drinking included stuff like Gin and Tonic, Hi ball, 7&7, whisky on the rocks, scotch etc...

The ladies would have also partake in mixed drinks or wine, no where to be found was all these seltzer drinks, fruity carbonated beverages that taste like soda, ciders, Twisted Tea, Arnold Palmer and a million other things.

In my household it's a little different where a beer is more of a social or relaxing beverage, not the main beverage.
I know folks that have no problem plopping down $30-$40 for their favorite craft beer, but then again they're not drinking 2 cases of the stuff a week.

Didn't mean to get off track, sorry.
Do I hear Banjos?

Reactions: Steve H
It's all really a shame.
A shame that they don't allow home distilling, it all comes down to taxation and Big Corporations "paid" Lobbyist. "Distilled spirits like whiskey are taxed at the highest rate of any alcohol, far more than either beer or wine".

Here are a couple examples of Big Corp. Like "Jack Daniels" getting what they want,
The new legislation requires all Tennessee whiskey to be fermented from a mash containing at least 51% corn, filtered through maple charcoal and aged in new oak barrels. This describes pretty much to a tee Jack Daniel’s own whiskey-making process, which is no coincidence, given that Jack Daniel’s parent company Brown-Forman had a hand in drafting the bill, according to Tennessee state Rep. Bill Sanderson.

Lobbying the Tennessee state legislature on behalf of Jack Daniel’s is a long one. In fact, it goes all the way back to the 1930s, when a state senator by the name of Lem Motlow helped usher through a bill to re-legalize distillation in his state. (It’d been illegal since 1909.) Lem Motlow was the nephew of a man named Jack Daniel, and he happened to own a little distillery named after his uncle.

There are Craft Distilleries opening up all over and they're well received, is this a trend?
Who knows.

It can actually creates revenue, look what Home brewing has done for the craft beer industry.

Just an example

Some of these "Artisan" brewers will get big to the point they sell out to bigger companies and what's sad is the bigger company may discontinue the craft beer to save their bottom line, this is where the consumer suffers.

I was born in the 63 and I grew up where the male beverage of choice in my parents crowd was "beer", Schlitz, Piels, Schmidts, Pabst, Schaefer, Rheingold, Ortliebs etc...
Their Social drinking included stuff like Gin and Tonic, Hi ball, 7&7, whisky on the rocks, scotch etc...

The ladies would have also partake in mixed drinks or wine, no where to be found was all these seltzer drinks, fruity carbonated beverages that taste like soda, ciders, Twisted Tea, Arnold Palmer and a million other things.

In my household it's a little different where a beer is more of a social or relaxing beverage, not the main beverage.
I know folks that have no problem plopping down $30-$40 for their favorite craft beer, but then again they're not drinking 2 cases of the stuff a week.

Do I hear Banjos?

Born in 62. I hear ya! Schlitz, Piels, Schmidts, Pabst, Scaheffer, Rheingold, Ortliebs? I haven't thought about those beers in years.

It's all really a shame.

Who knows.

Just an example

Do I hear Banjos?

LOL---Born in 1949, and I still have Memories of "Burt & Harry" Piels, on commercials during Phillies Baseball Games!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky