Another ‘my smoker died question’

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

novascotiabbq

Original poster
May 24, 2024
Hey there,

Brand new here. Just read through all of the threads about smokers dying and people like me desperately hoping they could still eat tonight. Found some very useful info that included ‘ all surface bacteria dies after 30-60 or less @ 225 ‘ . I’m close here so looking for a little reassurance.

Full packer, seasoned with a very salty home made rub. Running late so trimmed, rubbed, sat for 15-30 on counter and onto the smoker. Jabbed it once and didn’t like the placement so jabbed it again and left the stat in.

Was on the Traeger @ 210 - 225 for about 90 - 120 min. I fell asleep, lightning struck and tripped the breaker.

Internal temp reached 125 after about 120 min, fell from 125 to 81 over 4 hours. Woke up about an hour ago turned up the traeger to 275 now internal back at 95 after an hour at at 275 and heading up.

I’m assuming this rule of ‘ all surface bacteria dies after 30-60 or less @ 225 ‘ applies to me. It I’m feeding a few guests and looking for confirmation.

Thanks in advance !

Reactions: JLeonard
Certainly not trying to come across as a wise-ass but that kind of defeats the purpose of the alarm in that particular situation.
Yep! I've used a gasser for the last few years. The alarm has saved me a couple of times when I had a flame out due to winds. If your doing a overnight cook missed sleep is part of the equation. Better than losing a smoker full of meat, especially with prices as they are.

Jim

Keep cooking. The meat is intact with just a therm probe in it. 99/100 times with intact meat keep cooking. 30-60 minute the outside is pasteurized and will be sterilized close to the temp of the cooker. The inside is void of foodbourne pathogens bc that comes from poop and is on the outside and they passed their physical from the USDA FSIS veterinarian to be processed for human consumption. Recalls are almost 100% ground meats from missed inspections and grinders that passed tons of meat from missed inspections etc. Pathogens on intact meat don't jack hammer, cork screw and cruise around inside meat. It takes time, temp, Ph, water activity and the proper medium to grow let alone get to dangerous levels. You may have seen the pinned threads from Chef Jimmy J in the Food Safety Forum. He is our late Serve Safe Food Safety Instructor. He mentioned all OTBS members should know these pinned threads at the top of the forum.

Yup, we all keep reading threads about another new smoker having experienced a shutdown durning an overnight smoke.

RULE #1: if you are going to smoke over night be prepared with a minimum of a 2 probe thermometer that measures the grate & meat temps PLUS sets off an alarm on your phone that you keep by your bed if the grate temps drops below it's set point.

Common Sense: are the batteries fresh? Have you tested it to make sure it works. Is your phone plugged in? Is the phone sound turned on loud enough to wake you?

Certainly not trying to come across as a wise-ass but that kind of defeats the purpose of the alarm in that particular situation.

Y’all . I had to sleep. Period. Batteries were fresh. Never had this particular smoker die except for in this case the freak lightning strike. Lesson learned. I don’t need any more confirmations that this would have done better if I didn’t hit mute, desperate for sleep. I understood that this morning at 6am when I looked at the graph on the MEATER app. I came here to enquire about the safety of the brisket. FYI It’s looking and feeling beautiful. About to pull any minute. Thanks

Y’all . I had to sleep. Period. Batteries were fresh. Never had this particular smoker die except for in this case the freak lightning strike. Lesson learned. I don’t need any more confirmations that this would have done better if I didn’t hit mute, desperate for sleep. I understood that this morning at 6am when I looked at the graph on the MEATER app. I came here to enquire about the safety of the brisket. FYI It’s looking and feeling beautiful. About to pull any minute. Thanks
Glad its looking good. Post it up when finished.

Jim

Reactions: novascotiabbq
Another thing to keep in mind... no need to lose sleep or have these issues... get everything ready in advance, start early in the morning, run your smoker hot and fast. That chunk of meat doesn't care and will turn out just as good!

But glad it turned out for you... still waiting on pics as well!

Ryan

First off Welcome to the forum.

Glad this turned out for you .
I have had times when not sure about the safety of my cooks and the good folks here guided me through it.

That was quite the thunder and lightning storm the other night

Post up your finished pictures if you have some.

David

Reactions: novascotiabbq
Thanks for the advice y’all! Cook turned out great. I did two butts as well as I wanted to test out the traeger fully loaded. Butts were beautiful. Juiced some fresh orange/grapefruit/apples to go in the steam pan at wrap and I’ll be doing that again. The brisket turned out pretty great all things considered. I’m yet to get a really tender flat which is bugging me…Not dry, just not as tender as I’d like it. The point was perfect though. No one died. Yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1932.jpeg
    IMG_1932.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1923.jpeg
    IMG_1923.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1926.jpeg
    IMG_1926.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1942.jpeg
    IMG_1942.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1923.jpeg
    IMG_1923.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1926.jpeg
    IMG_1926.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1932.jpeg
    IMG_1932.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1942.jpeg
    IMG_1942.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1915.png
    IMG_1915.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 7
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky