ALLAN'S SMOKED HAM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Many years ago a friend and I were talking about smoking HAWG MEAT and stuff and the subject of smoking hams came up. He stated he created his own smoked ham recipe and it was simply awesome. It sounded a bit different so I wrote it all down and tried it one Thanksgiving. Figured I would spring it on the large group of family that gathers with us on the big day. It has a few steps and calls for a lot of time on the smoker but it is well worth it. I have been doing this recipe for 15 years now. They always ask me a few weeks prior to Thanksgiving if I will do the ham again. YES I WILL!! The ham will be extremely dark on the outside when you are finished but don't be alarmed. It's not burnt. It is very tasty and moist. I am hooked on it and I think you will be too.

Attachments

• ALLAN'S SMOKED HAM.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 119
Reactions: Steve H
What no photos oh well next time. Sounds amazing and a lot of time and work. Did you just buy stock in a brown sugar co.???

Warren
Haven't smoked one since last Thanksgiving. Will post a pic when I smoke one again. Even though calls for a lot of brown sugar, It's not at all overpowering.

Here you go Chopsaw

IMG_0628.jpg

Warren

Reactions: Hawging It
The Recipe sounds great. Looks like all the steps from 4 on can be done in an Oven. Too cold on Thanksgiving in NWPA to be fooling around with my smoker too long. Additionally, step 8 ain't gonna happen in any Smoker that is not well Insulated. 8 to 10 hours may be a stretch for my MES. What smoker you guys using for this Ham?

Fresh dried cloves? Yeesh, can't say I've ever seen that :-D

Sounds darn good though

Fresh Dried Cloves, as in, Go Buy a New Jar...Think about it, on average, Whole Cloves are used to spike Hams, 2,3 times a year? A couple of Cloves are used in Soups and Sauces, maybe folks add a few to Mulled Wine or Cider. Other than that, the jar sits in the cabinet. For many people that Half Used jar of Cloves can be YEARS old. While I would not hesitate to use a 1 or 2 year old batch of Clove, beyond that, I buy a small jar of Fresh Dried Cloves.
When cleaning out my Mom's house, to sell, I found a jar of Whole Cloves, from Shop-Rite, in the Spice cabinet. The Logo on the jar was from 30 years ago!
I'm thinking Alan was taking this type of thing into account when he wrote the recipe...JJ

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky