ABT's ~ Canoe Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
Instead of making ABT's 'upright' or the horizontal 'half peppers', here is an alternate method. It works good if you add a Lil' Smokey or some sausage , but it gives the bacon a seat. Here is the prep, a cut across each end, then side cuts.
A2NYi4D.jpg
I don't go super heavy on the rub in the cream cheese...
GVJLz35.jpg
I do pound out my bacon, and the pieces on the right are 1/2 of a strip.
xOLVl3C.jpg
You can buy the 'thin' cut bacon, but pounding gives you more width and length, and it gets slightly sticky which is a good thing for ABT's or wrapping pepper rings.
kOxUlYT.jpg
Rolled and ready.
DqHCqJx.jpg
Fresh off the BGE
wh3FYWm.jpg

Some serious nice Knife Skills, the way you cut them Jalapeños. You have more patients than me...JJ

Looks great! I love these things and can put away quite a few myself. My only complaint is when one of the jalapeños is a scorcher!

Hmm
I never made a true canoe style after seeing your technique.
I'll try that on my next batch
What do you do with the with the cut half pieces and guts?

I blend the cream cheese with shredded cheddar cheese, too
As others posted, my wife is not a fan.
After recent medical visit, I need to try this with side pork (sliced pork belly)

I'd like to find a, little bit, larger Jalapeño or other Chile. Less work and I would not eat so many in one sitting...JJ

One dozen have a very short half life in my house.
Once I get going, it's impossible to stop eating them.
I make mine exactly the same way!

Hmm
I never made a true canoe style after seeing your technique.
I'll try that on my next batch
What do you do with the with the cut half pieces and guts?

I blend the cream cheese with shredded cheddar cheese, too
As others posted, my wife is not a fan.
After recent medical visit, I need to try this with side pork (sliced pork belly)
I save the strips to chop into other things. They freeze well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky