Classic American cheese bacon burger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
Thanks to all that voted for my burger entry, and for everyone's votes and participation in throwdown is greatly appreciated!

So here is "cook" description. In full disclosure, I didn't plan on doing an entry because life has been crazy, however, on the last day of the competition we had took the boat out for the "first' trip on the water and was out almost the full day and pulled back into the house about 6:30 pm and as we pulled into the driveway, the wife says hey if you unload the boat I'll get stuff ready for burgers for dinner.... Fastforward to 7pm the boat was put away and unloaded and I come in the kitchen to the boy cutting shrooms and onions and the wife was mixing up sauce..... I grabbed the burger "smashed it" and at 7:15 I was plating and happened to remember the brawl so I sharpie'd the code and snapped a picture.... I took 3 pictures and this one of the alternate pics..... I submitted the pic at 9 ish PST (just 3 hours before the deadline.....)
ClassicAmCheeseBacBurg.jpg

I don't have any other pics but here is the description:

First the sauce:
My wife makes this up with Mayo, ketchup, Kinders bbq sauce, seasonal salt, and Worcestershire sauce. She has never used measurements and just goes by taste, but its about a Tbsp of each, ketchup, BBQ sauce, and Worcestershire to a cup of mayo. The seasonal salt is added at the end to taste. You are looking for that celery salt tone that is in it. It is awesome with frys or tots too!

The bacon is cut in 1/2 and then pan rendered in its own grease, ie it is tossed/rolled constantly with tongs at mid high heat to get it uniformly rendered, the method reminds me of making risotto, ie always turning.....it is not crispy to break a crown but just on the break over point from soft to a slight bite to it.

The shrooms and onions were seared in individual pans (non-stick) that were wiped with oil, so seared "dry" and then once they have a nice color on them then a Tbsp of butter is added and they are tossed for flavor. Kinders buttery steak house blend was the seasoning.

The burger was "smashed" in a single press between layers of parchment paper, ie I take a slice through the grind (90 degrees to the grind) and then gently form it into a circle and then use a large spatula to "smash it". The parchment aids in a uniform smash and the paddy doesn't get over worked and become firm. The paddy is cooked in a non-stick pan (I used a hexclad pan) with 3-5 Tbsp of oil, ie it is shallow fry vs pan sear (we are looking for uniform color and bark). Once the oil is hot, I pull back the parchment and season the top with the Kinders and then put it seasoned side down and then I season the upside after pulling the parchment off. Once it gets some nice color (2.5 mins or so) I flip it over and sear for 3 minutes on the second side, then it is flipped over, and then add two slices of American cheese and cover with a lid....It takes about 2 min to melt and it is ready to put on the bun, note that I like this method cause it gets a hard seasoned bark on the bottom side of the patty vs under the cheese.

The buns are toasted on the electric griddle with light butter, the above was brioche bun (Costco).

The plating, sauce (both top and bottom bun, ie the sauce on the bottom prevents soggy greased bun), paddy (I normally put the onions under but didn't this time for the pic) then shrooms on the top but and I keep the cold stuff separate right till I'm ready to take a bit....This keeps the lettuce crip........ Dang for some reason, I'm craving a bacon cheese burger.......

Last edited:
You had my vote. It's always the little things for me, and the bun really caught my eye here.

I also really happen to like American cheese, mushrooms, onions and bacon on a cheeseburger. Had there been 2 almost the same, it would have come down to the crisp grill on the bun.

You had my vote. It's always the little things for me, and the bun really caught my eye here.

I also really happen to like American cheese, mushrooms, onions and bacon on a cheeseburger. Had there been 2 almost the same, it would have come down to the crisp grill on the bun.
Many thanks HiJ! Yea there is something about American cheese and a toasted bun are a must!
''PERFECT''...

And That's All I Got To Say About That !!!!!
Thanks JckD! Much appreciated!
You got my vote looked delicious. But now that you have confessed to pan cooking I’d like a revote 🤣
Thanks peachy…..Maybe I should say self oiling flat top! LOL…. The hexclads have the CIs a bit lonely these days…..

I also do them on the BBQ flat top as well but that takes more than a few mins to get hot…..

Looked good in the TD, and it still looks good. Nice Job and congrats Civil

Point for sure
Chris

Awesome! That's MY burger! Every time my son visiting us (twice a month) he asks me to make a burger (or two).
I am always for it... BTW, I switched to smush burgers about a year ago...

It was the classic burger look...but the sauce was what earned my vote. Thanks for posting.

Looked good in the TD, and it still looks good. Nice Job and congrats Civil

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! I can tell you is was a nice treat after a day in the lake for sure!
Beautiful burger. Congrats on the win.
Fred
Much appreciated Fred!
Awesome! That's MY burger! Every time my son visiting us (twice a month) he asks me to make a burger (or two).
I am always for it... BTW, I switched to smush burgers about a year ago...
Thanks push! It’s hard ti beat a classic bacon cheese…..once a year we do home made fries with it…. We have to limit it to once a year cause just way to addicting!!!!
It was the classic burger look...but the sauce was what earned my vote. Thanks for posting.
Many thanks and you are welcome on the sauce, it’s a tasty addition!

Scrolled through the pics several times trying to make a vote. Your burger just kept calling out to me.

Jim

That’s my kind of burger. Nice job
Many thanks broke! I’m a classic cheese burger fan…. Mcd’s gets more of my business than I care to admit to…..ops I just admired it… lol
Scrolled through the pics several times trying to make a vote. Your burger just kept calling out to me.

Jim
Thanks Jim! It calls to me every time we make a burger……the cheese calls for the bacon too…. Ie putting bacon on the fresh melted cheese, it just grabs hold of it and keeps it right at home!

That is one beautiful classic burger It’s a burger I could likely eat daily and not grow tired of it. Nice job

Looks delicious! And you know we will be trying that sauce.

Ryan

Winner Winner, Burger Dinner!! :emoji_wink:

Congrats and nice job Civil!

Red
Thanks Red, much appreciated!
Looks good !
Thanks chop!
A classic cheese burger has always been my choice. It was the look of those shrooms and onions that tipped the scale. Great job and congrats on the win.
Gary
Thanks Gary! The onion chips and shrooms are so good together I could almost eat a whole bowl of them with a spoon like a bowl of cereal!
That is one beautiful classic burger It’s a burger I could likely eat daily and not grow tired of it. Nice job
Many thanks jcam! We don’t do burgers all that often but when we do it’s like we need to do them more often! We do a lot more in the summer for sure.
Looks delicious! And you know we will be trying that sauce.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, it’s our go to burger and fry sauce!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky