Yet another organ sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
From pig organs: two liver, two hearts, 1 kidney, 2 tongues.

To move things faster i cooked the hearts and tongues in the pressure cooker. In the samw water but under normal pressure i cooked livers and kidneys.

Here they are chopped:
20180310_132502-1.jpg

Meanwhile some onions (8) were sauteed in lard
20180310_134213.jpg

Other ingredients: leaf fat cracklings
20180310_134457-1.jpg

Pressure cooked skin, some from bacon
20180310_135111-1.jpg

Reactions: dernektambura
Besides salt and pepper i used nutmeg and all spice
20180310_153106-1.jpg

Stuffed: large casing is with coarse cornmeal. Small casing with arborio rice
20180310_162934-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearcarver
Ah, Man---That's gonna be some Awesome Sausage!!!:)
Heart, Liver, and Kidney are some of my favorite Deer Parts!!!
And I love Beef Tongue too!!
Like.

Bear

Bear,

I can only offer Pig stuff....
One of the large sausages goes into the oven for supper on Tuesday (after some cold smoking tomorrow). If you leave Tue morning you can make it.

Some half decent Sauv blanc will be chilling.

Bear,

I can only offer Pig stuff....
One of the large sausages goes into the oven for supper on Tuesday (after some cold smoking tomorrow). If you leave Tue morning you can make it.

Some half decent Sauv blanc will be chilling.

LOL---I wish!!
Anything more than 20 miles for me is too much any more.:(
Used to often drive 400 miles a day, working for my Son.

Bear

Oh man... Your ruined some of the best parts of that oinker. :(

Those are all great by themselves.
You are right. Heart, liver, tongue all make outstanding meals. But i can't shake the peasant stock (once removed, my parents were intelligentsia folks)...planning for leaner times...A sausage like this makes many full meals, breakfast, lunches instead of lavish few. LOL

Atomic, morning.... Do you use any spices and herbs in that mix ?? Or are you looking for natural flavor profile..
I'm guessing SPOG is about the only seasonings you would normally use...

Dave
No garlic in this one. Only salt, all spice, nutmeg (and cooked onion if one considers it a condiment). Some folks use thyme too.
This is the traditional recipe from my home region. I find nutmeg and all spice complement organ meats nicely.

Edit: i used pepper too.

I never made haggis but as far as i know similar condiments are used in it - and no garlic.

AS, You have the most interesting posts of some excellent food (although it's not the run of the mill variety !) :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky