Yet another organ sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Are you willing to share some recipe portions for that? I have a deer heart and liver in the freezer I have been looking to experiment with.
Ingredients are: cooked organs, sauteed onion (used lard) fried backfat or belly , rice (arborio - cooked aldente) spices.

Grind organs thru the large plate, onion/fat thru the small plate. Mix these with rice and spices (nutmeg, allspice and pepper in mine). Add warm lard if too dry. Stuff and put in water bath to cook the casings.

Eat cold or roast in the oven for a crunchy casing.

You have to cook the liver, before grinding it?

Inda, my wife might not like it, but I'll eat it. :D

I have 3.45 pound deer heart and liver frozen.
1.66 pounds of ground deer meat (frozen that way as 3 equal 5# to make Summer Sausage)
2# of pork fat (getting tomorrow $.50 a pound at the butcher)
That will give me 7.11# @ 34% fat

I can add 3# of pork butt to it to thin the deer liver taste and that would give me 10.11# @ 34% fat

All ingredients are cooked before stuffing. Meat beside organs works well especially if you want to make it "milder".

Maybe I'll add the 3# of pork butt and grind it.

I'm not cooking the heart, or ground meat. I would assume cooking the liver would drive the blood out of it. maybe changing flavor there.

Maybe I'll add the 3# of pork butt and grind it.

I'm not cooking the heart, or ground meat. I would assume cooking the liver would drive the blood out of it. maybe changing flavor there.
If you dont cook all ingredients you have to treat it like fresh sausage. The one i made was not.

yes, this is similar to what my granpa used to make only he chopped organs and no grinding... meal would go on plate like this: oven or pan roasted sausage spread over bead of cooked and choped potato and hard boiled eggs with fresh red onion and warm crusty bread.... very simple but very tasty....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky