Nose to Tail Items:

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
...also known as offals. Feet, hocks, hooves, cheeks, jowls, kidneys, livers, pancreas', tripe, stomachs, lungs, intestines, bung, snouts, sweetbreads, hearts, chitterlings, heads, spleens, testicles, are all in that catagory   Many items are made from those parts, either separately or with others, such as haggis; Scottish haggis  consists of sheep stomach stuffed with a boiled mix of liver, heart, lungs, rolled oats and other ingredients.

Most all of these are obtainable through your chain or local grocery, depending on suppliers.  Meat managers love to order these if there is a demand for them as they are relatively low cost but very high margin; by the case you should be able to get a good price, as it is in in/out transaction with no loss.... just don't ever 'stick' the store with an order and not pick it up unless it is unavoidable; not many consumers flock in to get a deal on pig ears or tails!

My personal favorites are sweetbreads and any kind of livers or chicken or turkey gizzards and hearts.  Sweetbreads are the thyroid or pancreas glands of a young calf (veal) or lamb.  I prefer veal.  There are two types, from the neck (thymus) or from the pancreas; the pancreas is preferred as it is oval shaped.  To prepare, soak in cold water for several (up to 24) hours.  Then, blanch them; start out with cold water and quickly bring to a boil; you can add a touch of salt and lemon juice or vinegar to loosen the membrane surrounding them.   Simmer a few minutes, then remove and plunge into ice cold water.  This further removes impurities.  To trim sweetbreads, remove any visible veins, gristle, or the thick exterior membrane that envelops the organ. This is best done by using your fingers.  

After blanching and trimming, the sweetbreads should be pressed. Lay them on a clean towel on a tray or shallow pan. Do not stack the sweetbreads. Place another towel on top and cover with another tray or pan of the same size.

Place a heavy weight on top of the last tray. A heavy pot filled with water is ideal. Place the weighted sweetbreads in the refrigerator and allow them to be pressed for at least two hours. (They can be pressed up to 24 hours.) After pressing, the sweetbreads will be firm enough to slice into medallions by cutting on a slight bias. These medallions can then be easily sautéed, fried or grilled.

(from Wikipedia)
Thought I'd add, after reading comments, that sweetbreads are exactly as described - saute'd, they are like little nuggets of sweet bread - mild, tender, tasty and delicious!  My mom and dad made them on occasion if there were any left; we lived in farm country and many people bought them regularly.  If you had a calf butchered, don't toss the sweetbreads, by all means!   At one time we had a 'calf mill' just outside town, a business who bought young calves and butchered them Kosher for Jewish communities in downstate NY; brought high margins and good profits to the area.  Once inspected, we would buy their veal hindquarters (non-Kosher, of course) on a regular basis, plus sweetbreads, calve's livers, and other products as necessary.  Unfortunately, they had to be milk-fed; their manure drove people to petition them and move their business far out in the country in a different county.  But, we would eat them regularly for dinner once or twice a month at least; they were a treat!  Just like Rocky Mountain Oysters!

Last edited:
Lots of favorites there, Pops.

Not the kind of thing we can all eat every day.  Not the healthiest foods on the planet.

Still the kinds of food that satisfy and put us in touch with our ancestors.

I will stand with those who say offal is not awful!

Much to the opposite!

Good luck and good smoking.

P.S.  I pigged out on some Basque blood sausage today.  A holiday (dare I say Christmas?) tradition at my favorite Basque Hotel.  Wish me luck on making it through the night without the obligatory seating in the small room.  It sure was good, though!

A few early things .We ship just about all of our sweetbreads to Europe ,Aussies dont eat them.I love Pops6927 posts because I always learn something. You dont have to eat all offal,if you dont like the taste dont eat it ,no point to prove.I like some stuff dont like others. But between all of us who like something under the offal heading theres enough for a section on the site.

Venture when I stayed in Espellette the red pepper capital of Pays Basque all the local farmers came in for the sheep market. Some of the sorriest looking sheep you ever saw by Aussie standards then promptly adjourned to the downstairs bar of the hotel where I was staying.Red wine ,cigarettes & the house specialty a veal blood sausage. Lunch looked like it started at 1030
beercheer.gif
. About 3 in the afternoon the wives turned up to drive them home in time to milk the sheep for the famous brebis cheese.I dont know how they could walk. I met an old guy in the town square who spoke no English but I worked out he had retired up there for the food & country air. He had been a POW with Aussies & Americans in WW2,I think he was captured fighting for the Free French.Regular Hogans Hero's moment.

I do like that Basque food
yahoo.gif

The Basque food is special.

The Basque people are even more special.

The red wine is called vino tinto.  (at least for the Spanish Basque)

Lost my best Basco friend in May.  Every time I take the first taste of vino tinto, I toast him.  This is to Fermin!  Ahhhh!!!

His family carries on the tradition, but, that will end soon too.  A great loss for all of us.

We are blessed to have them in my part of the world.

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
Love sweetbreads and do them pretty much as you outlined. Can also be given less prep except cleaning and then braised with some veg like artichokes

I tried beef heart once. No problem cleaning and cooking. It looked nice but a bit more chew than I care for. I've been told a long braise will help there. Here is my last attempt with heart which was just quick sautéed with a salad
umevavus.jpg

I love chicken gizzard and hearts.  Beef heart, pork heart.   Pork brains.    Outstanding food!  

My mother used to make liver pudding.  If it didn't make the sausage run, it went in the the pudding.

Being a country boy I have had most mentioned here. I have had brains and eggs but never really cared for them, was a texture thing I believe more than a taste problem. Don't really consider liver hearts gizzards as offal, they are just different pieces like a thigh, wing or tail. Pork ears, tails an back bone are fine when cooked low and slow, including the trotters. Hard to beat chicken fried sweet breads and milk gravy....... mouth's watering now.

All this being said, since I live in Louisiana and love to cook, have you ever tried any red or white boudin? Now thats good stuff maynard, especially when smoked. makes my mouth happy happy just thinking of it. Thinking I might have some crawfish boudin in the freezer that needs to be cooked!

If you like Boudin or want another recipe to add to your collection just send me P/M, will gladly share.

Love sweetbreads and do them pretty much as you outlined. Can also be given less prep except cleaning and then braised with some veg like artichokes

I tried beef heart once. No problem cleaning and cooking. It looked nice but a bit more chew than I care for. I've been told a long braise will help there. Here is my last attempt with heart which was just quick sautéed with a salad
umevavus.jpg
Hey Scuba,

Nice looking beef heart!  We eat it somewhat regularly, and we think it tastes best and is most tender if cooked rare-to-medium rare. Too much cooking gives it a tougher texture and liver-like taste.

Also, give it a try as beef jerky sometime. It makes great jerky as it is so finely grained, and with basically no fat after it is cleaned up. I've found it needs a little longer to get dry than muscle meat like sirloin or round.  It is my husband's favorite jerky!

Clarissa

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky