Would you eat it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
Here is something I have mulled over lately. Chicken in the US has a high risk of being contaminated with Salmonella and E-Coli 0157. We would never think of eating it undercooked, let alone completely raw. The reason for contamination is the filthy conditions in bulk growout houses and cross contamination from mechanical eviseration equipment ripping open the digestive tract and spreading fecal matter in and over every bird it processes, infected or not.
Now I recently heard of some Asian restaurants serving Chicken Breast Sashimi, Raw Chicken Breast. I quickly thought, " How is this safe? " It then occurred to me that in many Asian countries, great care is taken by restaurants to serve only the highest quality, small farm grown birds and the restaurant buys Live Birds, carefully hand processing each one, guaranteeing there is no contamination with fecal matter and bacteria. This being the case, there is no reason that chicken meat can't be eaten raw or at any other degree of doneness. No bacteria...No safety issue.
So, healthy non-contaminated chicken eaten raw? Why not, I would eat it! What say you?...JJ

Nope, it would never happen with me. it's been ingrained in my peanut brain to cook it to safe temps.

Me too as was cooking pork to death, 165 with 180 being better. Now, if pork loin or especially pork tenders are cooked beyond a finished temp of 140, medium, I pull them at 130, I can't eat it! Even my 87 year old Mom, finally saw the light and how much better pink pork was. I plan to try Chicken Sashimi when I raise and process my own flock of meat chickens...JJ

I would. Then again I travel globally quite a bit and have tried everything from puffer fish to dog so I may not be the best test case for the question.

I just don't know if i could do it. I read stuff about sashimi grade chicken and it makes me cringe. I've had salmonella a couple of times so for me raw chicken would be just to much. To each his or her own.

Sorry I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Texture wise it just doesn't sound/look appealing. Although not the same I work with a guy from Africa who will buy KFC and leave it out on his desk for 10 to 11 hours and then finish it. I just about blow chunks everytime I see him do it.

Chris

I’d sit at the table first and watch how many people kill over first. If everyone is still alive and doing well I’d dive in!

Yep... I'd eat it.... Heck, I've sliced off a hunk of elk and venison to munch on, after the kill... Whole muscle meat is considered sterile... Proper technique when butchering and attention given to cross contamination... serve me up some with whatever sauce they would recommend...

Reactions: BKING!
nope! there is still that chance no matter who prepares it. look at the guy who prepares puffer fish. too much to chance for me and i like cooked chicken.

I don't have a problem with raw meat in general. I eat carpaccio, steak tartare, sushi. Heck when i was a kid we sampled sausage mix before stuffing. My grandma raised chickens, she never cooked a store bought chicken. As far as I remember she had high hygiene standards. Never thought about trying chicken raw though.

Now....i would say "No , thank you"
But i said the same to sushi less than 20 years ago....now i could eat it every day , 3 times a day. So ....never say never.

I guess I'm the exception. I have eaten raw chicken tartar from one of those safe to eat raw chickens. I think they call it Blue Foot Chicken and is apparently quite a delicacy. Would I do it again, no but because the taste and texture did not suit me. I fairly sure there was enough acid to keep the meat sterile before consuming.

If I remember correctly, chicken sashimi is lightly seared to sterilize the outside of the meat and left raw in the middle which as a whole is sterile.

I ate a Quizno's Chicken sandwich about 10 years ago for lunch. About 6PM the bubble guts kicked in! Soon after both ends of me were spewing death! Lasted 4 days!

Always safe temps on ALL meats! Never ate fast food again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky