Hexclad Pan Review, Real World Real Time - Lots of Pictures!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
I have gotten a number of questions about our Hexclad pans that have been showing up in many of my posts. TulsaJeff TulsaJeff reached out to me about them as well since he is currently doing a review of a set they sent him. I was going to come up with a couple of test to show how they work, however, as I was looking over my photo library, I noticed that I already have a ton of pictures and I can speak to their performance. In transparency, I don't represent them nor have I been ask by them to give a review.

We first saw them on Gordon Rasmey's next level chef show and my son did a little internet look and "encouraged" me and the wife to look at them..... reluctantly I bit the hook (we have many pan sets and have tried many "new things" over the years, we were pretty much new pan fatigued). Looking over their web page and seeing how much Gordon was "all in" we decided to get a single pan to test so if they were a gimmick or not.......We got a 10" fry pan with lid just before Thanksgiving of 2022 (about 8 months ago).

I took these pic last night........we haven't been "rough" on them but as you can see there is NO visible signs of scratches or marks. The close ups show that none of the anodization is failing at the little stainless buttons.
A0B84CA4-5C04-468D-99CF-69BC517CDE82.jpeg

B4381C9E-DF2D-40F3-98AF-A544E220BE7E.jpeg

BE029931-367C-4629-89B0-97FF367FFB36.jpeg

After 2 months us using the above pan, we were convinced that these pans were not a gimmick so we purchased a 13 piece set before Christmas, so we have had the full set for a solid 6.5 months.

Now to point out a few of the hidden design features of the pans and lids:

First off each lid has a vent hole to prevent excess moisture from building up when using the fry pans (ie mess up your sear) as well as not making a mess when boiling pasta and such in a pot.
35E041E5-2D6A-43DA-8024-720B6FA8D5EB.jpeg

Next the geometry of the of the edge is near perfect for pouring without a mess.....Here it is pour bacon grease....you can start of slow and it doesn't wrap around the edge....
507E4526-72AE-4591-A04A-770398A7014C.jpeg

This is the 12 inch pan with cut up bacon pieces we use for bacon bits......cooks very uniformly across the whole pan
25CA7BD1-1E19-4F1A-996A-98BBFF8C0727.jpeg

This pic shows how the "young" bacon doesn't stick when in its initial cook...
923F43AC-CA74-43C1-81A4-ECFA7356E6BE.jpeg

And this shows that the "residual" bacon pours clean from the pan.
40D42F2F-9421-4603-87A7-28BF59A8DE7F.jpeg

This next picture shows boiling 1/2 inch of water in the 12 inch pan...it should be noted that both the 10 and 12 inch pans came with a little hump in the center that moves oil and liquid to the outside (it is very slight though and helps with keeping the center section in sear mode)
075A2D6D-EB39-4647-89C7-4332969C9E07.jpeg

This pic is after my wife made a caramel sauce....ie it does very well at "non" stick for sugar stuff....
3B28F5F9-BD7C-4E6C-9D35-99AA01314D1A.jpeg

This picture is an example of making "burn ends" in a pan, ie sugary rub and heat with animal fat.
685AD60D-54BE-4C79-9392-5157E1F6D5C3.jpeg

Caramelized red onions (balsamic vinegar and brown sugar).
667253F7-B85A-45EB-90D6-08B0DEC7C368.jpeg

The next three are examples of a nearly dry searing......baby bellas, day old russets, and bellas and roots.....
59CBE7A3-BA45-4C6A-8CE0-DE8AC2500AA0.jpeg

972D1404-6835-4DE5-B028-68F251A48E4F.jpeg

69712798-9D57-4DE2-B164-4655D97D3709.jpeg

The last two show "raw" shredded russets and shrimp sautee.
B5AD8E35-5418-4CF9-ACB6-5DC2958DCB5D.jpeg

9D7D8F81-1788-4D21-9103-2E77F86D8750.jpeg

I will take a picture of the next time I do eggs in them but it should be noted that they do have a "bit" of a stick to them, IE the stainless potions of them but if you giggle the pan and break that then things slide right out. It should also be noted that these do need to be seasoned the first time, ie a little oil and 30 seconds of heat or so. Its also best to use a "dab" of oil when cooking to make the truley non stick. If I use a 1/2 tsp of butter in the small 8 inch fry my sunny side up eggs slide right out. If you do "dry" scrambled there will be a little stick but a Teflon non stick will also have some stick at that point.

In the next week or two I will also take a pic of them searing a chicken breast just to show how well they do. I personally believe they give a better sear and CI because they are more responsive to the heat.

I will be happy to answer any questions as this goes along and I will add to it as we continue to use the. I also wouldn't hesitate to recomend them if you want a high end pan or pan set in the kitchen as they currently do the majority of the cooking in our kitchen now.

Till next time happy cooking

Interesting, I use my non stick much less frequently these days but love them for some things. I'm astounded by the caramel not sticking! Can you sear meat like thighs or a steak well?

So... looks like we might have a new enabler! :emoji_blush:
But more seriously... thanks for the review. Looks like a really great set... that I don't need, I don't need, I... well maybe I should take a look lol!

Ryan

Interesting, I use my non stick much less frequently these days but love them for some things. I'm astounded by the caramel not sticking! Can you sear meat like thighs or a steak well?
We still have our nice non stick but they are actually getting used less and less as we have been learning how to use the HCs better. Since the caramel has butter in it it likes to live the pan and therefore no sticky….

Yes that can sear better than a CI……what would you like me to sear for you? The only thing I have in the fridge at the moment is skinless chicken breasts, I can sear one of those up unless you want to see something else……
So... looks like we might have a new enabler! :emoji_blush:
But more seriously... thanks for the review. Looks like a really great set... that I don't need, I don't need, I... well maybe I should take a look lol!

Ryan
So sorry Ryan…..but these are the absolutely the best pan we have owned or used….they just work! And so far they seem to be almost as durable as a stainless pan. We are going to add the 5 qt Dutch the 7 qt sauté and maybe the bbq on to our set. We will probably also add anther set of the 8”, 10”, and 12” fry’s so we have 2 of the 8 & 12 and 3 of the 10”…….talk about enabling!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Look like some great pans. I think anyone will be extremely happy with them.
We've have Swiss Diamond non-stick induction pans for several years that work flawlessly.

Last edited:
We have a cpl of the pans. Good pans overall, nice heat distribution. I think with overeasy, med, etc eggs they do not do a very good job due to them sticking. Other than that, really like them.

If this can sear a steak it is fundamentally different than any pan that uses a polymer matrix, which I thought these hex ones do. I'm loving my new "ceramic" pan ($20 price point) but never take it to high heat, and am careful at heat with even hard utensils, even if plastic.

If this can sear a steak it is fundamentally different than any pan that uses a polymer matrix, which I thought these hex ones do. I'm loving my new "ceramic" pan ($20 price point) but never take it to high heat, and am careful at heat with even hard utensils, even if plastic.
Try Teflon utensils.

We have a cpl of the pans. Good pans overall, nice heat distribution. I think with overeasy, med, etc eggs they do not do a very good job due to them sticking. Other than that, really like them.
Yea my wife still uses a non-stick for her eggs, I use the Hex for my sunny side ups but I put a bit of butter in it and after a little giggle they slide smoothly out. It took a while to get the right amount of butter and giggle but it works almost as good as a non-stick, If you wipe them with a 1/2 tsp of oil prior it makes a huge difference as well. We always put a bit of oil and wipe before any fry pan use. The oil just disappears into the matrix of the pan.
They can sear a steak better than a cast iron from my experience. They are rated at a 900 degree temperature. To me they appear to be a type of anodized stainless over an AL core. I use them on my 18K gas burners and I use the full 18K on them without issue....where pretty sure our non-stick pans would "burn" up.....Ie I don't take then to near the temp as the Hex.

PS edit, the bottom of the pan has the same surface and it sees to full flame of the 18K burner and I know the burners on Hells Kitchen are north of 25K and their French Top burners are also way hot.....

Last edited:
Reactions: bill1 and jcam222
I've had my eye on these for awhile. I read some reviews about people warning about metal flakes coming off, maybe they are using knock offs not sure.
Do you have to use soft utensils or can you use metal?

I bought a similar set of Michelanglo pans from Amazon at the beginning of they year. That was when the Hexclads were peaking and the prices were high. Now they have the Hexclads at Costco at a more bearable price so I might get some of them as well.

View attachment 669006
Thanks for info 90, I hadn't see the Michelangelo pans before. It would be nice to know the similarities/differences because Hexclad got a patent for their design which leads me to believe there is a difference or there is a lawsuit in the future.

Ah I just looked up the Costco events and the closest is 2 hours away.... The prices look the same as the Hexclad website if you use the discount code they give you.
I've had my eye on these for awhile. I read some reviews about people warning about metal flakes coming off, maybe they are using knock offs not sure.
Do you have to use soft utensils or can you use metal?
NG, I've seen those review and even seen people's pictures and videos. I can't speak to those, except what I see in the pictures and videos is a pan that was "torched" ie the stainless is burned which means they got above 1200 degrees and that would kill a pan. If the surface is truly anodized the only way for it to flake off under normal use is if it was defective or if a layer stainless came with it (abuse).

All that said, I don't care what any of the adds say or any review say some kind of oil should be used in them for every cook, ie same as a CI pan. They perform best with oil (just a splash is needed).

As far as metal utensils, we use spoons, whisks, and spatulas in ours, but we don't scrape the pan with force. We also store them on top of each other in a drawer which can be really hard on non stick pans.

Due to the size of the investment I would recommend anyone interested in them to get a 10-inch fry first and then run it through your usual cooking pace for a few months to see if they perform with the individual cooking and care habits.

...Do you have to use soft utensils or can you use metal?
I think that was an original main marketing advantage of these...that stainless steel nubs stick up above the teflon-sealed, relatively low thermal-conductivity core so you can slide steel utensils over the steel and not damage the plastic. (They argue it helps the high-temp searing as well.) I don't consider it a big deal remembering to NOT use steel on my cheap Teflon pans but if you share pans with a person who consistently does, which quickly ruins a Teflon pan, it's maybe worth buying this technology and just "cry once" or however the expression goes. However I find other advantages of HexClad quite appealing...

What the "science" page of the HexClad site doesn't mention is that the hexagons and nibs/nubs provide a lot more surface area for the slippery teflon stuff to adhere to. I think what ruins cheap teflon pans (providing someone's not using steel spatulas on them) is that just the thermal cycling alone makes the teflon slough off in sheets...with a 620F melting point, it's not really pouring off. The hexclad I suspect keeps the Teflon in place, extending its life, and makes it a more tolerant to high heat use.
Also these HexClads have a healthy amount of magnetic (400-series) stainless in the base so can work with induction stove tops, which are probably going to eventually replace gas burners. My cast iron will work just fine with induction but my cheap teflon-on-aluminum pans will be useless.
HexClads are still beyond my budget but I'm close to pulling the trigger on a hard-anodized aluminum pan. (Dunno' if its Type I or Type III anodizing?) My experience is that it should be pretty indestructible, and the reviews seem to say its non-stick. The one I'm eyeing won't work with induction rangetops. (Unless someone clads ferritic bottoms to them.)
Lastly, I try to enforce these house rules for non-stick pans:

...I'm close to pulling the trigger on a hard-anodized aluminum pan. (Dunno' if its Type I or Type III anodizing?) My experience is that it should be pretty indestructible, and the reviews seem to say its non-stick...
Wow, cookware is a heavily-hyped field. Digging a bit further, a lot of "hard anodized" pans refer to the outside of the pan, where the anodization gives wear resistance and a long-lived appearance, which makes me wonder if hard anodizing is just not slippery enough. (Even if great for wear resistance and high voltage arcing prevention.)
To save the hassle of Amazon returning, I think I'll wait until I can handle these in a brick&mortar store...I can tell the difference between Teflon and Type 1 or 3 anodized Al.
I'm beginning to think a lot of this diamond, ceramic, granite, etc cookware is just hype. They're only non-stick because of Teflon, even if applied in a multi-layer process. And if it's recently manufactured in an enlightened country, it's PFOA free so safe enough.

Bill, we had a full anodized pan set a while back and the surface was very durable, ie they recommended steel wool to clean it. The only problem is it wasn’t non stick…..it was the same as a stainless pan.

I don’t think the Hex are Teflon or variation of Teflon since it’s safe up to 900 degrees. Looking at them under a magnifying glass it looks like some kind of anodization. The other interesting thing is the surface soaks in oil. When you season it all the oil you put in it “seeps” into the matrix so it’s a porous surface at the micro level.

Reactions: bill1
I watched this video about 5 months ago and thought it was a great review of the hexclads at the time. It is what led me to buy the pans I did. It is from the great guys at Sorted Food.

Reactions: bill1
I got a spam email a couple days ago from a spammer that doesn't have both oars in the water.

Sender: Hexclad pans
Subject: Costco

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky