WHAT YA SMOKING LABOR DAY! INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Well I have not rolled the smoke in a couple of months. It's past time to get it going again. Got a few of the family going to gather at our place for Labor Day. The request has been made!! Going to do spares cut down to Saint Louis style. I will smoke the tips another day. Fresh corn on the cob. The wife will be making her classic Baked Beans and Potato salad. Sister in law bringing her classic Banana pudding and Red Velvet cake. Should be fun had by all! Take care!

Reactions: SouthernSmoked
Probably nothing on Labor Day, but I am on vacation all of labor day week and my entire vacay is dedicated to working on competition test runs for a comp I'm doing next month, as well as working on my food truck, and working on a couple recipes for sides for a wedding I'm catering in October.

So essentially I'm taking a vacation from my 9-5 so I can work my BBQ job full time.

I am smoking a prime rib on Sunday. Just trying to determine if I want to use Mesquite/Cherry or Hickory/Cherry wood combination. Just scared the Mesquite will be to strong for the guests.

Reactions: phatbac
Still in the works but Saturday doing a big crab/shrimp boil for the Tennessee game. Sunday I am thinking of doing some turkey breasts and making some pickles. Overnight Sunday into Monday think its time for a brisket and butt. And plenty of cold beers

Probably nothing on Labor Day, but I am on vacation all of labor day week and my entire vacay is dedicated to working on competition test runs for a comp I'm doing next month, as well as working on my food truck, and working on a couple recipes for sides for a wedding I'm catering in October.

So essentially I'm taking a vacation from my 9-5 so I can work my BBQ job full time.
Sounds like fun to me!!!

I am smoking a prime rib on Sunday. Just trying to determine if I want to use Mesquite/Cherry or Hickory/Cherry wood combination. Just scared the Mesquite will be to strong for the guests.
Cherry and Hickory never disappoints. I have mixed them in the past with good results. I prefer using one or the other though.

Still in the works but Saturday doing a big crab/shrimp boil for the Tennessee game. Sunday I am thinking of doing some turkey breasts and making some pickles. Overnight Sunday into Monday think its time for a brisket and butt. And plenty of cold beers
At's what I'm talkin bout!!!

Cherry and Hickory never disappoints. I have mixed them in the past with good results. I prefer using one or the other though.
Have you every tried the mesquite\cherry combo? I always use hickory and Cherry and wanted to possible change it up because I know the prime rib is a beef that should be able to handle the mesquite.

Been dying to smoke my first ever tri tips I have in the freezer as well as some of the King Salmon I caught a couple weeks ago that are also vacuum packed in the freezer. I also think my pickled Habenaros should be ready, so need to think what I want to do with those...probably a Chernobyl hot sausage and peppers that no one will eat but me (yay).

Reactions: timsnewatsmokin
Have you every tried the mesquite\cherry combo? I always use hickory and Cherry and wanted to possible change it up because I know the prime rib is a beef that should be able to handle the mesquite.
Never used mesquite as not available in Mississippi. I have some mature wild black cherry on my land and mature hickory as well. From time to time I cut down one of each. Once split and cured it last for a long time. I prefer the wild cherry on pork but hickory works as well. The trouble with hickory it can become a little to strong on the meat if you don't know what your doing. I still use it a lot I just have to be careful. I don't have that issue with the cherry. I just pile it in the box and wait for the Thin Blue Smoke. Good luck with your smoke.

Been dying to smoke my first ever tri tips I have in the freezer as well as some of the King Salmon I caught a couple weeks ago that are also vacuum packed in the freezer. I also think my pickled Habenaros should be ready, so need to think what I want to do with those...probably a Chernobyl hot sausage and peppers that no one will eat but me (yay).
Nothing better than smoked surf and turf. Have fun!!!!

Whew, my wife and I can't think about food at the moment. We just spent a weekend with the kids celebrating a birthday and ate really well, too well if you ask either of us. In the last month, I've smoked or grilled pulled pork, spare ribs, tri tips, a chuck roast, and several nights of chicken thighs/breasts/quarters. Gettin' kinda repetitive. I've got a packer and one turkey in the freezer, but that's too heavy for us right now.

Might have to go with something light this Labor Day weekend. Since we're not fish eaters, I think I'll break out a vacuum pack of pulled pork and season/grill it carnitas style for tacos with cilantro, pico de gallo, and pickled onions.

My wife loves potatoes, but she keeps pushing Chile's smashed potatoes out a day. I think they just got added to the weekend if I don't do them tonight.

Whew, my wife and I can't think about food at the moment. We just spent a weekend with the kids celebrating a birthday and ate really well, too well if you ask either of us. In the last month, I've smoked or grilled pulled pork, spare ribs, tri tips, a chuck roast, and several nights of chicken thighs/breasts/quarters. Gettin' kinda repetitive. I've got a packer and one turkey in the freezer, but that's too heavy for us right now.

Might have to go with something light this Labor Day weekend. Since we're not fish eaters, I think I'll break out a vacuum pack of pulled pork and season/grill it carnitas style for tacos with cilantro, pico de gallo, and pickled onions.

My wife loves potatoes, but she keeps pushing Chile's smashed potatoes out a day. I think they just got added to the weekend if I don't do them tonight.
Sounds good!

Reactions: Drums45
No plans on smoking anything. Going camping with our new down sized trailer. Bought a 14" Weber Smokie Joe to go with it so will be just grilling something.

Warren

Spending the weekend at our camper and plan on smoking some spare's cut down to St. Louis. Will also be giving my Tip Top Temp it maiden voyage run on my Akorn for the smoke as well. Will also likely throw in some ABT's, Moink's, and a fatty at some point I am sure.

The pork loin I'm curing will be ready for the smoker then. So that. And some ABTs for sure. Perhaps smoked drunken beans too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky