• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What is your favorite wood for Brisket?

What is your favorite wood for smoking brisket

• Total voters

banjo

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 18, 2012
This is a poll! So select from list!

I have only smoked brisket a few times, and when I did, it was never as good as some of the good local restaurants. I live in N. Georgia, and we've got some good pork BBQ places, but only a few that know how to cook brisket. Moonie's BBQ, in Flowery Branch GA, produces some really good brisket.

In my opinion, we all should be able to produce smoked brisket at least as good as my local places, and a lot of you will produce better than I can buy.

So, armed with a new pellet smoker (Pit Boss 820D), I'm going to try my hand, yet again, at smoking brisket.

So I'm wondering: what's your favorite pellet wood for smoking brisket?

Last edited:

Traeger.Rage.BBQ

Meat Mopper
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 30, 2018
I use primarily Pecan on everything in my Traegers. Though I supplement with a chip blend in a Smoke Daddy smoke generator with a chip blend of Apple, Cherry, Mesquite and Pecan. I also have a smoke stick for pellets I tend to use my Pecan pellets with. I have a tray also but I have sealed up my smoker so well it doesn’t like the slow air supply so I just leave it on the shelf most often.

I have tried a sundry of pellet mixtures in my Traeger’s over the years and truly never could discern a huge difference in the tastes from pellet to pellet. I presently have a PID controller which produces far less smoke now. Hence all the different forms of supplement needed in my Pro 34.

motolife313

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 27, 2016
I've been using oak mix with other woods on everything latley. So that's what I'd do on brisket aswell

BKING!

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 24, 2018
Here lately I’ve been like the flavors of oak, pecan, and hickory. Fruit woods are ok and I obviously still use them but they’ve seem underwhelming to me here lately.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Stuck on Hickory!
95% of all my Smokes are with Hickory Smoke.

Bear

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Hickory here as well, unless I use sugar maple.

Chris

Joined Jul 31, 2018
I've always been an oak man when it comes to brisket. I also like adding a little cherry to the mix, maybe like 2/3 oak and 1/3 cherry. Nice temperature and a great smell!

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 30, 2018
Hands down it’s got to be Pecan. I will mix in a piece of Cherry every couple of hours for a darker color but Pecan will be the vast majority of the wood. I love the mild nutty flavor on just about any meat.

George

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Hickory here and hope I can score a bag of lumberjack 100% before Saturday nite cause son has bought a 16lbs brisket for me to smoke

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Woo hoo! Somebody besides me voted for mesquite! Must be from South Texas, NM, AZ, or California. Use half as much, get great flavor. Too much......YUCK!

Ishi

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 30, 2018
I normally only smoke one brisket a year.. two if I’m lucky but Pecan is my favorite on any meat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.