Do tender Brisket Flats exist?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

willyallthewei

Original poster
Jul 31, 2023
I am a new member who has been cooking all my life and got into smoking briskets recently. I understand the science behind why Briskets should be tender, the point muscle is full of collagen which, at a certain temperature (just north of 150 degrees) starts to break down slowly and, with the fat, creates an unmatched combination of flavor and soft texture. However, I have noticed after a few cooks - that is absolutely not the case with the flat. While I can see the chemical reaction of the collagen in the point muscle breaking down over the course of hours in the smoker as it falls apart - the flat gets dryer the longer you cook it regardless of temperature, it’s just a dry piece of meat without collagen - am I missing something? Brisket flat reacts to heat like it’s a dry tough piece of chuck steak, it does not fall apart it only loses moisture.

My cook time and temperatures for a standard 10.5 pound packer from Costco - 250 degrees in the smoker for 4.5 hours, wrapped in butcher paper for 3 more hours then confit style in the oven at 200 degrees for 8 to 10 hours drenched in beef tallow. Total cook time typically around 15 hours (here's a video of this style: ).

The thicker side of the brisket is soft enough that touching it with my finger can cause it to fall apart. The other, flat only side? Dry and tough and clearly lacking moisture, if you watch the video above the cook actually cuts off a large portion of the flat side to remove much of the lean meat because it will "burn off" but really he's cutting off the lean brisket flat part that dries out during the smoking process.

I’m starting think the smart way to go is Brisket Point only (or at the very least, the thicker side of the brisket only), what’s the point of the flat other than being the disgusting leaner brother of the fat and juicy point? I will go as far as to challenge any chef/bbq pitmaster in the world to cook a better flat than I can cook a point - I am happy to use select meat, they can use USDA prime, I would bet my house that if they had to trim the entire point off, they would stand no chance against a slowly smoked and confit style point muscle - the thicker side of the brisket with all of that fat and collagen could never be less tasty than the dry flat only side.

I am also beginning to question how honest the TV/Youtube cooks are with their videos, for example here's a brisket slicing video:

Around 2 minutes and 20 seconds he slices the flat, looks exactly like mine, dry and tough, then around 4 minutes and 45 seconds he begins slicing the thicker, point side:

Look at that difference, it is far more tender, you can see the meat bend on the slice and honestly? Mine is more tender than his in that area of the brisket, mine falls apart to the touch and I'm sure you guys who smoke briskets know exactly what i'm talking about!

Sorry that I sound so bitter on my very first post but I came to this forum where people probably smoke brisket all the time to see if everyone else is having the exact same experience as me. There is no such thing as a brisket that is uniformly tender all around, it is point = great and flat = dry, and that's really all there is to it!

Last edited:
My secret is to throw the point out! :emoji_sunglasses:

Others will be along soon with their schemes for getting the flat to be edible! I am pretty sure that Franklin's in Austin squirts beef tallow (basically - added fat) on their cooked briskets then wraps them in pink butcher paper and holds them at 170-degrees overnight to make the flat edible...

Strangely enough, some folks prefer the flat, but I aint one of them!

Franklin's book is pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: willyallthewei
My secret is to throw the point out! :emoji_sunglasses:

Others will be along soon with their schemes for getting the flat to be edible! I am pretty sure that Franklin's in Austin squirts beef tallow (basically - added fat) on their cooked briskets then wraps them in pink butcher paper and holds them at 170-degrees overnight to make the flat edible...

Strangely enough, some folks prefer the flat, but I aint one of them!

Franklin's book is pretty good.

It has been years since I ate at Franklins and I maybe wrong but I don't think they served us any flat only pieces, what they did serve fell apart like butter but I think it was the thicker Point/Flat combination parts and it was absolutely full of "rendered" fat and beef tallow like you said!

Reactions: Retired Spook
The flat and the point cook differently because the muscle groups are different. Final internal temp is important for observation only and may range from 203-212F for probe tender, the temp is just a guide. The point will always probe tender before the flat, and often by the time the flat is probe tender the point is over cooked and a little mushy. The flat contains a lot of collagen but the key is to get to the temp long enough to melt it. In 99% of the cases complaining of a dry flat,,,,,,, the flat is under cooked, not over cooked. Good things take time. My brisket flats are moist soft and delicious, although I personally like the texture of the point best my flats are raved about. They are Smokey, tender and juicy. But I cook to probe tender, not to temp or time those are just guide lines.

When you probe for tenderness you use you thermometer or a skewer and push that into the meat, when it’s done the resistance will be like if you were pushing that skewer into a jar of creamy peanut butter. Very smooth in and out all over not just in one spot or two but everywhere. You will then have melted the collagen in the flat and it will be juicy and tender. I can and have made whole packers into a jello consistency by going too long. It’s all delicious pull meat then, but yes even that flat just falls apart. Moral of the story,,,,,, cook it longer and don’t worry about all the fancy methods out there. It’s just time, temp, and long enough to probe tender.

The flat and the point cook differently because the muscle groups are different. Final internal temp is important for observation only and may range from 203-212F for probe tender, the temp is just a guide. The point will always probe tender before the flat, and often by the time the flat is probe tender the point is over cooked and a little mushy. The flat contains a lot of collagen but the key is to get to the temp long enough to melt it. In 99% of the cases complaining of a dry flat,,,,,,, the flat is under cooked, not over cooked. Good things take time. My brisket flats are moist soft and delicious, although I personally like the texture of the point best my flats are raved about. They are Smokey, tender and juicy. But I cook to probe tender, not to temp or time those are just guide lines.

When you probe for tenderness you use you thermometer or a skewer and push that into the meat, when it’s done the resistance will be like if you were pushing that skewer into a jar of creamy peanut butter. Very smooth in and out all over not just in one spot or two but everywhere. You will then have melted the collagen in the flat and it will be juicy and tender. I can and have made whole packers into a jello consistency by going too long. It’s all delicious pull meat then, but yes even that flat just falls apart. Moral of the story,,,,,, cook it longer and don’t worry about all the fancy methods out there. It’s just time, temp, and long enough to probe tender.
I have never seen a peanut butter soft flat.. Do you know of a video of a brisket where the flat was extremely soft? I've never seen it anywhere.

I have never seen a peanut butter soft flat.. Do you know of a video of a brisket where the flat was extremely soft? I've never seen it anywhere.
No, I have no videos. I’m older than that. But if you will follow what I posted you will find brisket nirvana. I promise.

And if you’ve never seen peanut butter smooth flats, then they have always been undercooked. Try it one time. You have nothing to lose.

I have now done 3 different flats following this....And they are all tender.

Jim

I've cooked a few briskets that came out fine but briskets just take more work than I am willing to do.

When I cook a brisket now I only buy and cook a point - but even that takes an investment in time to cook.

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky