Wearing Gloves, do most people do this while BBQing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Insulated gloves when handling ice cold or frozen stuff, welders gloves when using my offset, a kevlar glove when filleting fish (learned the hard way), and no glove in the kitchen for anything, I have sets of tongs. Oh, I do wear a surgical glove when making bacon, the method I prefer calls for rubbing a sodium nitrite compound into the belly meat. RAY

I use the nitrile gloves when handling food, Trimming a brisket, or ribs, or other meats. I use cotton gloves under the nitriles when handling hot foods. And I do change the rubber ones often. I get them from my son, he gets them from work.

I see a lot of photos and videos of people wearing gloves while grilling and smoking. Do you?
Rubs and sauces can be a little messy, but I like to roll up my sleeves and dig in with my hands.
Use gloves while rubbing. Use insulated gloves for removing the hot meat.

Looks like I am the exception...
No you aren't. I'm with you Brother. Get the water set warm, have soap ready, wash hands, then meat prep bare-handed. I leave the water just slightly running so I have hot on demand in case I forgot to have something ready I need.
Then after that, I wear short cowhide workgloves and have a range of tongs for turning meat (a large spatula can be useful in your "other" hand) and a range of channel locks for grates, pans, heat diffusers, etc. I don't touch the meat after it leaves the kitchen and the leather gloves are fine for spritzing or dry seasoning. I only do liquid sauces at the end with a brush (no mop...too wasteful!)
For long cooks, I'll take the tongs in and wash them between usage. But I tend to always wear the leather gloves when at the pit/grill. Lot of stuff gets hot and it's nice to be able to work quickly. Cowhide breaks in well so it's pretty good heat and electricity protection while still allowing you to set controls, thermometers, etc. that requires some manual dexterity. I hate anything (outdoors at least) with capacitive touch control so no Bluetooth/phones for me.

interesting discussion.

I never wear glove in prepping. And only wear them if there is potential to burn myself.

Hi there and welcome!
It depends for me.

Simple disposable gloves for :
  • temp and meat probes with 99% alcohol and paper towl
  • sometimes if handling and seasoning meat, just depends... I like to wear gloves when mixing seasoning in ground meat but often skip it when putting seasoning on a whole cut... or not haha

Oven Mitts for:
  • Putting/Removing pans and racks from the hot smoker
Heavy Duty Meat Handling Gloves:
  • I have a pair but I dont use them, they are almost useless. I prefer to use a pan or a rack or a basket that I can remove with oven mitts. If I had to remove 10-15 briskets at a time then those thick black gloves make sense. They are a pain to wash and clean and use otherwise so I don't recommend them for us backyard guys, find a friendlier and more efficient approach :)

Comet's pretty caustic for my skin, especially this time of year. I prefer some gloves.
oh i absolutely believe it. my skin is pretty leathery from working in kitchens. mosquitos cant really bite me anymore, i dont think, unless i just dont get bumps. sometimes i can feel them trying to dig in there

after a heavy day in the kitchen+outside this time of year, you better believe i still get some cracked knuckles, though.

Not to hijack the thread but if anyone finds any decent deals on 1000 powder free XL vinyl or nitrile gloves please feel free to msg me :)

Pre pandemic I would get 1000 XL powder free Vinyl gloves for like $20-$25... not really the case anymore.

Reactions: Thomas_Aldon
I use nitrile gloves. Why?
I use hand cream (green can) to prevent cracked knuckles and splits on the finger tips. The cream means I have sticky hands.
Rubs and cure will stick to my hands and not the meat.
Gloved hands wash quickly and cleanly.

I re-use my gloves a few times. Just thoroughly wash your (gloved) hands after last use and hang up to dry.
I blow in them to check for holes.

I use nitrile gloves for meat prep so I don't have to wash my hands 57x. When picking up hot meat off smoker I use cotton gloves with nitrile over them. Also works great when pulling pork or beef when it's hot as hell
I’m going to second this. There’s also a fringe benefit that people might enjoy though. Use this same setup if you find yourself needing gloves for snow but don’t have any on hand.

The powder screws up my hands more than Comet, honestly. I think I developed an allergy or something.

I use the black Nitrile gloves while handling fowl and black welding gloves for handling anything hot and brown cotton jersey gloves then Nitriles over them for pulling hot meats or portioning hot foods.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky