WANTED Critique of my brisket trimming job

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

misfit

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
I'll attach some photos but i'm looking for some critiques of my trimming. I've done only 1 brisket before and this thing was a 20 lb i picked up from costco up in Canada. Watched a few videos but it seemed like the briskets done on some youtube channels were lets just say a little less messy to trim. Anyways, i tried to get out as much of that hard white fat as possible which left me with some "pockets" so to speak and i'm not sure if i took too much off.
The fat cap was actually pretty thin to begin with so i really didn't take much off.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0736.jpeg
    IMG_0736.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0737.jpeg
    IMG_0737.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0738.jpeg
    IMG_0738.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 44
Looks good to me. I’m a minimalist when trimming brisket. That fat pocket between the flat and point if really big I’ll take maybe half out but not all. Fat is flavor so I err on not taking off to much but only a 1/8” or a bit more is really needed on the flat. Smoke it up, from what I see you will be pleased in the end.

I’ve only done two briskets myself and trimming them was an experience for sure. I tried to take a decent amount of fat and any meat that I was not happy with off. But I did leave a decent amount of fat on. Didn’t want to remove too much. Yours looks good to me!! Smoke it up!

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks like it ready for a coat a lawry's and a flavor rub over night. Followed by course rub right before ya toss it on grill.

The fat cap was actually pretty thin to begin with so i really didn't take much off.
Any insight would be appreciated.
If it looks like something I wouldn't eat it goes . You did good getting the hard fat out of there . For me , I would have taken the darker color stuff off in the last pic . If it's not clean red meat or white fat it goes . If you can pinch it and it stretches , it goes .
20200829_103652.jpg
Don't worry about that pocket . Better to get the hard fat out of there .
20200829_104309.jpg
20200829_103330.jpg

I'm with SE, I err on leaving fat rather than taking too much off. I also try not to cut bare spots on through the fat when trimming. I shoot for 1/4"-3/8" of fat when trimming.
I'm the OP but on different account with different email address. Anyways, i think you might be right because it would appear i've made a mess of this thing.

Attachments

• brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: DemonPit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky