Umai pepperoni

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
just getting started, got my 50mm umai dry bags, bactoferm, Sausagemaker pepperoni seasoning and cure #2.
0D24473F-8AEA-403B-8692-2391B04ED051.jpeg
Did a 5lb batch. Went pork, beef and back fat; 3lbs pork, 1&1/2lbs beef (chuck) & .5 lbs beef fat.

09BD9519-DED9-442D-9340-5CDC03822510.jpeg
All ground up good and cold!

E9568816-EB28-4CC1-BFCB-9498AC332185.jpeg
Made a couple burger patties with the leftover chuck roast, and added a little fat too. Hope they turn out well, we’ll see tomorrow, or one day soon.

200AD860-CC4A-4685-B88B-63D51E40E5FE.jpeg
The mix along with dry seasonings added.

BD696473-B948-49B8-A4E2-C30A978918D6.jpeg
Once bactoferm was added, I made my chubs, 5 (approx) 10” 50mm chubs.

31F221B4-6432-4626-9E39-1A7DDE21E9F8.jpeg
Now I’ve got them weighed, tagged & hanging for the next 72 hrs. Then into the fridge until 40% weight loss (at least).

Fingers crossed, this is a first for me.

That's what I thought. Do the casings breathe or is the moisture going to drip out. Sorry for sounding so dumb.

Mike
Not sounding dumb at all, mike. The umai dry casings allow for the meat to do its thing, they do breath I believe. After the first 72 hrs, I will put them on racks in the fridge. It will likely take about 4 weeks for them to achieve the desired weight.

Looking good,

72 hrs is for the fermentation process. They will darken and loose some green weight (moisture) The UMAi are permeable to let air in and out. As far as dripping you may not have any at all. Let the UMAi do their thing and you will be good. Dont rush the process.

Reactions: chopsaw and 73saint
Well I wish I could post better results. This was an epic fail. The bacto/sour flavor wasn’t so bad, nor was the texture. But it tasted nothing like pepperoni. Just like pure salted meat. I hate to say it but I tossed the whole batch.
1ED258E9-D214-437F-BB83-DC8377C3323F.jpeg
I still have a batch of venison with the same seasoning blend. I doubt it will be any better but we shall see. Ugh, lot of time and effiort went into that.

Think I’ll try the umai Spanish chorizo next (I don’t give up that easily)....

Well ,,, it happens . I have that sausage maker smoked pepperoni seasoning , and I don't like it . Don't taste like pepperoni to me either . Some add more than called for , but you need to watch the salt .

Reactions: 73saint
I will defintely try again guys. Thanks for the encouragement. I’ve got a few of the seasoning blends, but Nepas has me itching to try the chorizo. Now that deer season has started. I’ve got less time, but it’s on the short list. Will post pics and start a thread when I do.

73S, That is too bad about your batch, I have always had good luck with the seasonings I tried from TSM. My last batch of Chorizo was very good but I used seasoning from the Umai folks. Years ago I followed one of the Umai online recipes and it was a flop due to lack of flavor BUT their seasoning pack was to my liking. Good luck with the next batch.

Well I wish I could post better results. This was an epic fail. The bacto/sour flavor wasn’t so bad, nor was the texture. But it tasted nothing like pepperoni. Just like pure salted meat. I hate to say it but I tossed the whole batch.
View attachment 378846
I still have a batch of venison with the same seasoning blend. I doubt it will be any better but we shall see. Ugh, lot of time and effiort went into that.

Think I’ll try the umai Spanish chorizo next (I don’t give up that easily)....

Oh, you shouldn't have thrown it out.
Mine didn't taste like pepperoni either, but it did when I made pizza with it.
I don't know why but cooked on a pizza, it's fantastic!
And by the way I made the Spanish Chorizo & it is real good.
Al

I never did try it cooked in or on anything . That might be the key . Looks like I need to try it again .

Oh, you shouldn't have thrown it out.
And by the way I made the Spanish Chorizo & it is real good.
Al
Darn! I didn’t think about cooking it. I was just so disappointed with the salt level. Oversaltiness is the one thing I associate with being irreparable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky