Time for some smoked wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Been cravings wings for a few weeks now. Picked up a 10 lbs. bag of already cut up pieces for $25 at GFS. Labeled as first and second quality but overall they looked really good. At that price with no loss on trimming tips I thought it was a good start.

Laid them all out between pads to dry them out good. Actually dried them with pads individually as well.

raw wings to dry.jpg

All dried off and into a couple of bowls to get a nice oil coating. My go to oil for almost any cooking anymore is avocado.Its a great high temp oil for cooking in CI or on the griddle too. Poured it on liberally and mixed it in.
wings and oil .jpg

Here they are all rubbed up. Coated each of them individually to insure nice even coverage using my sugar free sweet heat rub. The sweetener used is Golden monkfruit which has a brown sugar flavor. These are off to the frig for an overnight rest before smoking tomorrow.

Here is my smoker rolling some nice TBS. Took awhile today to get it rolling nice clean smoke. I am burning B&B Oak lump with cherry wood. Smoking initially at 275F and will cruise up to 300F for the last half hour or so.
smoker .jpg

These seemed to take a bit longer than usual at around 2 hours 20 minutes. Here is a pan of the drums.
drums.jpg

Here is a pan of the flats, my personal favorite!!
flats.jpg

Here is a plate about to head to the table. Nothing fancy in the sauce. Just some Southwest Ranch dip by Ree Drummond. Wife is working on some celery now.
plated.jpg

Really wish I had done 20 lbs. !!! lol. these are pretty tasty. Thanks for looking!!

Jcam222 how long did you actually put smoke to the wings; the entire cook time?
Yes the entire time. It was rolling a perfect TBS most of the time. Little white when it hit a fresh piece of cherry. The smoke taste is a perfect kiss of smoke on top of the rub flavor. Using oak lump along with cherry or Apple I never have issues with too much of a smoke taste.

Those look great! I did a bunch Saturday for a family get together. Just cant beat smoked wings!

Reactions: jcam222
Nice plate of wings!!!

Make sure you leave a plate out tomorrow night for a big guy in the red suit!

Those look really good.

Labeled as first and second quality but overall they looked really good.

Never seen that. You sure they didn't mean 1st and 2nd sections? Maybe just a typo.

Man...those look terrific! Now ya got me wanting to go to my meat counter and look for some wings! Nicely done jcam...like! :emoji_thumbsup:

Red

Great looking wings Jeff!! I can only hope that's what's in the package that's supposed to deliver today :emoji_laughing: I do love my wings and those just look amazing. I'd certainly down a couple dozen of those, but my preference is blue cheese dressing....but that's just me. Really LIKE the look of those my friend!!

Robert

Those look like great wings! Do you cook them to an internal temp or another test for doneness?
I use an instant read prove and also check for doneness visually in one or two. I shoot for 170ish.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky