Storing Dust for the AMS - Originally posted by Bearcarver

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scarbelly

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 26, 2009
Since there are so many new folks with AMNS/ AMNPS units and we keep hearing about issues with damp sawdust, I thought I would dig up a post that Bearcarver did a while back on storing the dust

I have been using this almost as long as he has and I never have issues with dampness in the dust and it is easy to shake up the container to distribute things evenly

Again thanks to Bear for posting - I would have bumped the other thread but it was kind of getting off topic

Last edited:
To those that haven't read it already...I nuke my dust for 1 minute, stir it, then nuke for 1 more minute and stir. This zaps the moisture right out of it.  I will be having the wife start keeping the empty juice jugs for me instead of going to the recycle bin!!

Jeff

Yep, nuking the dust totally works. I do it every time I smoke. I'm so glad the humidity is not so bad here in south georgia, we usually go from summer to winter. We did have like two days of fall weather though. Thanks mutha nature. I love winter though, I get to build fires!

I started using the plastic jug as soon as I saw that post a while back by Bear.  Even with that, I'll still nuke the dust just to be sure:-}}

Nothing wrong with repeaqting good information, thank you.

Rich

I nuke mine now & then too---Usually if I'm gonna do an actual cold smoke. If I'm gonna use it for a warm or hot smoke, I don't mind if there is a bit of humidity in it, as long as I can get it lit good.

Hey Scarbelly, You really like that Pomegranate Juice too!---LOL

Thanks,

Bear

I nuke mine now & then too---Usually if I'm gonna do an actual cold smoke. If I'm gonna use it for a warm or hot smoke, I don't mind if there is a bit of humidity in it, as long as I can get it lit good.

Hey Scarbelly, You really like that Pomegranate Juice too!---LOL

Thanks,

Bear
Especially with some good vodka
7809a0e4_bottoms-up1.gif

Bump to help some newer members 

Hey Scar and Bear, thanks for the great info.  I will be ordering from Todd next week, and although the humidity around here averages about 17-22% I am glad to get this info.  Thanks a lot, Steve

We don't drink that much juice. :45:

But we DO have a cat and we buy dry food in a plastic container that I've been using to store my pellets. No problems so far. I'll try to get a pic and sneak into this thread tomorrow.

Last edited:
  Thanks for the bump first post I saw this morning and it reminded me to finally get it done

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky