Been out of the picture for a while

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
All,

I have been nearly silent on the forum all summer and just wanted to provide any forum members who are interested in what has been going on.

My mother is having issues that happen to folks as they age and it has required me to use more of my free time to do what I can to help her. I have had a very close relationship with my mother since childhood so it has really affected me badly seeing her deteriorate at a steady rate and all I can do is watch and feel helpless.

I have done very little BBQ this summer and just like that, POOF! summer is gone. My planned projects are all gathering dust.

I know I am not the only one who has had to go through this kind of situation but when you are the one on fire, you tend to yell the loudest.

In closing, I hope that I can get back into my "normal" life activities soon.

Thanks for reading.

JC :emoji_cat:

JC,
Very sorry to hear of your mother's condition. I respect you immensely for what you are doing to help her. I am in somewhat of the same 'boat'. Parents are aging and need help, so I am doing the same. Plenty of time for us in the future for BBQ. So at this time I am enjoying this site with friends and reading the posts for future cooks. Best of luck to you and you mother.

So, what we do say as you said we all have various things to deal with, and ageing parents is one of them. that's me I'm 79 now but doing good so far but in the last year lost a son and my wife. It does as they say takes the starch out of you. But blessings as God watches over you and your family.

Warren

All,

I have been nearly silent on the forum all summer and just wanted to provide any forum members who are interested in what has been going on.

My mother is having issues that happen to folks as they age and it has required me to use more of my free time to do what I can to help her. I have had a very close relationship with my mother since childhood so it has really affected me badly seeing her deteriorate at a steady rate and all I can do is watch and feel helpless.

I have done very little BBQ this summer and just like that, POOF! summer is gone. My planned projects are all gathering dust.

I know I am not the only one who has had to go through this kind of situation but when you are the one on fire, you tend to yell the loudest.

In closing, I hope that I can get back into my "normal" life activities soon.

Thanks for reading.

JC :emoji_cat:
Sorry for what you are going through. Several friends are going through this and I see how tolling it is on them. Hope things improve for you.

Reactions: WI Smoker77
So, what we do say as you said we all have various things to deal with, and ageing parents is one of them. that's me I'm 79 now but doing good so far but in the last year lost a son and my wife. It does as they say takes the starch out of you. But blessings as God watches over you and your family.

Warren

So sorry for your loss Warren. In my own life issues I seem to have missed that. Here is to staying strong. Thanks for your response.

Sorry to hear this hopefully it is not all on your shoulders. We went through this a few years ago with my MIL and it was no fun. Hang in there.

I have sisters that are also helping. just a rough time as we went through a similar situation with my father a few years ago.
JC

Reactions: sawhorseray
JC, it is a tough path to walk and I know it all too well as we went through it with my mother. Having to watch her steady descent into the oblivion of dementia was heart wrenching. My father was still alive at that time and he bore the lion's share of her care, but we all were there, as well. I still remember the last time I saw my mother and I choose not to remember her that way, but rather the vibrant, wonderful, loving mother she was. I hope you find some solace and the relief you need as you all care for your mother and remember, do what's right for your soul...

Hang in there when the going is hard, try to cherish if/when the interactions are more positive, and you will look back and be grateful you were present.

It was hard with me on the east coast and my sister out west … went through it here with my step-dad first, then a few years with my mom here, and then she spent her last 3 years with my sister that turned out to be a blessing for both of them.

I keep hoping to not burden my wife and/or daughter, and die young as late as possible …

I haven't seen my mother in several years due to distance, but every time I see her it is a shock at how much she's aged.
But she is still well able to take care of herself and my youngest sister is in the same town as her, so assistance is minutes away if needed.

On the other hand we live in the same house as my wife's parents so we can take care of them as they're both not aging well.
Thankfully it's a huge house.

Before that, they lived with her mother's two spinster aunt's, and took care of them till they died.

It's what families do.
At least it's what we're supposed to do, not throw them away into some nursing home.

You're honoring your Mother, a righteous and loving son.

Sorry to hear this JC---Been Missing you!
Hang in there, Buddy!
All of our Parents are gone now, and My Brother, one of Linda's Brothers, and her only Sister--All gone.
Now we're the old folks they worry about.
We'll hang on as long as we can---Mrs Bear has a Pacemaker, but probably many years left for her.
So JC, take care of yourself while you're taking care of Mom.

Old Bear

Stay strong my friend! I know it's a tough place to be! We went through it with my mom as well. Kinda hard when your mom tells you she's having an argument with the Lord...she wanted him to take her home and he wasn't listening. If you ever need to vent shoot me a pm.

Ryan

Reactions: JC in GB
Very tough situation for sure JC and I can also relate. My mom's still has a sound mind but her body is wore out.
It's definitely hard to watch them deteriorate with age.
Stay strong and keep the faith brother!
You are a blessing to her and the family!

Keith

Reactions: JC in GB
Im sorry to heat about your mom. Hopefully you can enjoy your time with her and hopefully get a few cooks in also. There are many here, me included, if you just need a minute to or talk football or anything. We may have never met you but many here i am sure would call you friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky