SS Sunday in TN

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forvols

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
Northeast Tennessee
Niece and Nephew (13/11yrs old) spent the weekend with us. So Friday evening we made up some SS. 3 plain and 3.5 jalapeno/cheddar. Stuffed into 2.5x20" casings. Each full one weighed 2lb15oz, the half weighed 1lb8oz. So the stuffing was pretty consistent. In the WSM now at 118*. Some picts:
1) the SS,
2)how I setup my 22" WSM charcoal, the 6 lit coals I place at the beginning of the single charcoal snake once ashed over using KBB,
3) SS in the WSM.

SS.jpg
WSM.jpg
SS - WSM.jpg

Reactions: crazymoon
12hrs in sausage is at 142* smoker is at 178(the last 2hrs). Stalled at 126-128 seemed like forever. Smoked with hickory. I am really glad I got me 2 of them maverick remote thermometers. My 3-4batch of SS and this one is taking the longest. Usually 8.5-10hrs. Using the same procedure as before. And yes I have had to add fuel to the "snake/minion" charcoal setup this time. I should have made the ring longer around the basket. But it does work really well for temp control in a WSM. In for the long haul tonight. Aint got a roaster and novice sausage maker so I want to stick with the smoker vice oven. More to follow.

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Ok 14.5hr SS was at 153* on 2 of them. Did a quick check on the others with instant read temp probe all at 150-153. So pulled them and into ice water bath until 95* and here they are hanging in the sunroom overnight its about 50* in there and will drop into the 40s over night.

Driedstick -- I just did a taste test on the short chub it was Jalapeno/cheddar. VERY GOOD, I did up the amount of spice mix for more flavor/kick.

RINGS -- I used a HI Mountain kit for both(my first kit and attempts at SS). Both SS types this time I added more seasoning mix and a good dose of fresh ground black pepper(wished I would have added more mustard seed too). Both kits are used up now so I will be venturing into the make my one mix for the next batch(es). I would recommend to anyone just starting out making sausages (like me) got the KIT route first, has all you need and you can learn. This is my 3rd or 4th batch out of these 2 kits(plain and jalapeno). So now I feel comfortable making the sausage and also learned I need 16" casing lengths vs the 20" even with the sausage hanging rack by Weber the 20" casings were just about touching the bottom of the WSM water pan. If you notice in the first picts in the WSM I tied up and made the loop smaller to give me some more clearance for hanging.

Will cut into 3rds and vac seal tonite so I will take some money shots then. At 7pm it will be 12hrs in the fridge. Touch and feel right now I think the casing maybe a little loose although the casing has tighten up some with time in the fridge. We will see....

Hanging out.jpg

Last edited:
LOL..yeah those ladder back chairs are old as me and the clamp..I was in the basement and thought dang that's 16+pounds I need something strong..clamp was laying there saying pick me pick me...so what I used and it fit the smaller loop end and it was late and it was several adult beverages into the SS making....

FV, They look good !!!!!

Thank you. The little chub I knew it was under stuffed going in, I cut the casing to short and tried to twist it up best I could before tying off the end. LL twist up first then cut off excess casing..but the little guy sure tasted good on taste test.

Money shots of Jalapeno/cheddar and plain SS. Bagged and tagged, ended up with 19-- 12.5-14oz vac sealed sausages. Some of the casings were a little loose, but overall really happy with this batch.

JAL-CHEDD.jpg Plain SS.jpg Tagged and bagged.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky