• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Something different for Christmas

donr

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Sep 3, 2011
I get the pleasure of having my family over for Christmas.
I'm done with turkey for a while & 4 days after Christmas I will end up eating half a pigs worth of ham @ the In-laws.

I'm looking for ideas for something non-traditional. Not weird , just not usual christmas fair.

Chicken drumsticks & roast beef are on the radar so far.

What are some of your holiday favorites?

Thanks

Don

EaOutlaw1969

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 25, 2019
I agree if I had it my way, it would be a smoked prime rib done slightly under final temp let rest then cut into nice 1 inch or better slices , season and sear those beautiful slices until your is mouth is watering then your ready to eat.

JCAP

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 12, 2019
This is somewhat traditional but in the past we've done lasagna roll-ups and chicken parm. Both of these were awesome changes from our typical ham. I've also thought about chicken cordon bleu for the main....

I like the idea of a roast beef especially if paired with a nice horseradish sauce.

texomakid

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 6, 2017
I'll second the prime rib. We've done this for a couple of years and the entire bunch loves it. I wind up searing most of the slices since several in my bunch don't like rare but even the one Vegan in the bunch had a piece last year and has talked about it all year and plans to come back again. Who doesn't like fancy rib-eye?

Omnivore

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 11, 2019
Oh I like the idea of searing slices of prime rib. Love that stuff but always crave a little more texture on it.

If you like shellfish, paella is a great party dish. My family has one of those huge paella pans and they went all out with that one year. Presentation was beautiful.

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Prime rib or smoked beef tenderloin FTW!

Some other ideas would be smoked pork tenderloins, fatties, a fajita bar, or chuck roasts for pulled beef. Do some of Jimmy J's smoky au jus if you go with a beef dish.

Could do some wings, ABT's, stuffed mushroom caps, and a smoked cheese platter as appetizer's

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
As everyone above has said, prime rib, etc.
Or if you are wanting something for a good quick smoke, if they are available in your area, then why not a Tri Tip?

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
Leg of lamb - another fav.
Lamb rib roast

Oh yeah!
Lamb is a good one too.

Edit: ^^^credit to sandyut^^^.

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Beef: lots of options - Tri tips are a fav. Prime rib as stated.

Leg of lamb - another fav.
Lamb rib roast

salmon if you are into fish.
Didn't think about leg of lamb...another great option!

TNJAKE

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 26, 2019
I think I'm just gonna do a shrimp boil and put some sausage on the grill.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 1, 2019
I get the pleasure of having my family over for Christmas.
I'm done with turkey for a while & 4 days after Christmas I will end up eating half a pigs worth of ham @ the In-laws.

I'm looking for ideas for something non-traditional. Not weird , just not usual christmas fair.

Chicken drumsticks & roast beef are on the radar so far.

What are some of your holiday favorites?

Thanks

Don
We always do seafood and fish for Christmas. Like a buffet at home. Boiled and fried shrimp, fried catfish, hushpuppies, coleslaw, seafood gumbo and a couple of homemade pies

nchapelheel

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 8, 2009
This year, the kids said they wanted BBQ for Thanksgiving. So.... I cooked 3 butts, total 21 pounds,
and got 13 pounds of pulled pork. I added Eastern NC BBQ sauce......since we are in NC.
They loved it, came back the next day for more. I tried the Gospel rub. I think Jeff's orignal rub is better. Pictures are attached for your drooling pleasure! Smoking turkeys for Christmas.

Attachments

bbqbrett

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 17, 2013
Just make sure everybody has their own individual tins of Vienna sausages.

Just kidding! Have to vote for the prime rib myself or maybe a beef tenderloin.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes...JJ

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
Standing Rib Roast, 7 ribs!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.