Something different for Christmas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Akron, Ohio
I get the pleasure of having my family over for Christmas.
I'm done with turkey for a while & 4 days after Christmas I will end up eating half a pigs worth of ham @ the In-laws.

I'm looking for ideas for something non-traditional. Not weird , just not usual christmas fair.

Chicken drumsticks & roast beef are on the radar so far.

What are some of your holiday favorites?

Thanks

Don

I agree if I had it my way, it would be a smoked prime rib done slightly under final temp let rest then cut into nice 1 inch or better slices , season and sear those beautiful slices until your is mouth is watering then your ready to eat.

Reactions: Omnivore
This is somewhat traditional but in the past we've done lasagna roll-ups and chicken parm. Both of these were awesome changes from our typical ham. I've also thought about chicken cordon bleu for the main....

I like the idea of a roast beef especially if paired with a nice horseradish sauce.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I'll second the prime rib. We've done this for a couple of years and the entire bunch loves it. I wind up searing most of the slices since several in my bunch don't like rare but even the one Vegan in the bunch had a piece last year and has talked about it all year and plans to come back again. Who doesn't like fancy rib-eye?

Oh I like the idea of searing slices of prime rib. Love that stuff but always crave a little more texture on it.

If you like shellfish, paella is a great party dish. My family has one of those huge paella pans and they went all out with that one year. Presentation was beautiful.

Prime rib or smoked beef tenderloin FTW!

Some other ideas would be smoked pork tenderloins, fatties, a fajita bar, or chuck roasts for pulled beef. Do some of Jimmy J's smoky au jus if you go with a beef dish.

Could do some wings, ABT's, stuffed mushroom caps, and a smoked cheese platter as appetizer's

Reactions: sandyut
Leg of lamb - another fav.
Lamb rib roast

Oh yeah!
Lamb is a good one too.

Edit: ^^^credit to sandyut^^^.

I get the pleasure of having my family over for Christmas.
I'm done with turkey for a while & 4 days after Christmas I will end up eating half a pigs worth of ham @ the In-laws.

I'm looking for ideas for something non-traditional. Not weird , just not usual christmas fair.

Chicken drumsticks & roast beef are on the radar so far.

What are some of your holiday favorites?

Thanks

Don
We always do seafood and fish for Christmas. Like a buffet at home. Boiled and fried shrimp, fried catfish, hushpuppies, coleslaw, seafood gumbo and a couple of homemade pies

This year, the kids said they wanted BBQ for Thanksgiving. So.... I cooked 3 butts, total 21 pounds,
and got 13 pounds of pulled pork. I added Eastern NC BBQ sauce......since we are in NC.
They loved it, came back the next day for more. I tried the Gospel rub. I think Jeff's orignal rub is better. Pictures are attached for your drooling pleasure! Smoking turkeys for Christmas.

Attachments

• 20191023_105132.jpg
    20191023_105132.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20191023_105147.jpg
    20191023_105147.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 13
  • 20191023_105310.jpg
    20191023_105310.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20191023_110931.jpg
    20191023_110931.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20191024_074011.jpg
    20191024_074011.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20191025_103402.jpg
    20191025_103402.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 13
Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky