• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Something different for Christmas

equinn

Joined Nov 29, 2016
I get the pleasure of having my family over for Christmas.
I'm done with turkey for a while & 4 days after Christmas I will end up eating half a pigs worth of ham @ the In-laws.

I'm looking for ideas for something non-traditional. Not weird , just not usual christmas fair.

Chicken drumsticks & roast beef are on the radar so far.

What are some of your holiday favorites?

Thanks

Don
Brisket!!!

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I'm done with turkey for a while & 4 days after Christmas I will end up eating half a pigs worth of ham @ the In-laws.

I'm looking for ideas for something non-traditional. Not weird , just not usual christmas fair.

Thanks

Don

Prime Rib!!!!
Take your pick:
Smoked Prime Rib (47th Anniversary Dinner)
Smoked Prime Rib (49th Anniversary Dinner)
Smoked Prime Rib (First of 2017)
Smoked Prime Rib (Apple Smoke)

Bear

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
how about a couple squirrels,:emoji_anguished: only kidding, can't go wrong with the prime rib and some seafood.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 30, 2018
I’m smoking prime rib and have to agree with so many others that it’s the perfect Christmas indulgence. If you want to buck the trend with something different then multiple fatties with all different fillings could be really fun. They also smoke really quickly. A full pork loin can feed a lot of people and is simply delicious. Pig shots are labor intensive but definitely worth the effort. Just grilling some great steaks can be a great option as well. I’m going to keep an eye on this thread to find out what you finally decide on. Just enjoy whatever you go with.

G

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I’m either doing prime rib or beef ribs.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 23, 2016
I'm in with the standing rib roast crowd. Did one a Cpl years ago and it even made the carousel. So now Christmas eve at in laws is standing rib taken to their house IT 125. Father in law has gas grill hooked to natural gas line and gets screaming hot for a grill. Quick sear and while they rest I sautee shrimp and wife and her mom finish up sides. Dang good eaten.

PolishDeli

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 9, 2018
Polish-Catholic here, so Christmas eve is a “no meat” day. Several fish dishes are always on the menu though. For example:
Smoked Markel.
Ryba w galarecie – fish in gelatin. It’s a white fish in stock that’s served cold, and hence gelatinized
Ryba po grecku – Greek style fish (Why a Greek food item is a traditional Polish Christmas dish...no idea). It’s fish fillets buried in grated carrots, parsley, onion and tomato paste

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I’m either doing prime rib or beef ribs.

I've been doing Prime Rib for Mrs Bear's Birthdays, Anniversaries, and other annual Dinners.
However I'm thinking about Running another Chucky through my SV for about 30 hours this 51st Wedding Anniversary, for a change. That's later this month.

Bear

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
I've been doing Prime Rib for Mrs Bear's Birthdays, Anniversaries, and other annual Dinners.
However I'm thinking about Running another Chucky through my SV for about 30 hours this 51st Wedding Anniversary, for a change. That's later this month.

Bear
wow bear your almost married as long as i'm alive, God bless your wife!!:emoji_wink:

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
wow bear your almost married as long as i'm alive, God bless your wife!!:emoji_wink:

LOL---The Army played a Trick on us:
We planned on getting Married during my Christmas Leave, because they said 80% of my class was probably going to Germany, so if you're married they'll pay to fly your wife there too.
So we got married during my Christmas leave, on Dec 27th. Then they sent me to Vietnam in February, along with about 90% of my class.

Bear

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
LOL---The Army played a Trick on us:
We planned on getting Married during my Christmas Leave, because they said 80% of my class was probably going to Germany, so if you're married they'll pay to fly your wife there too.
So we got married during my Christmas leave, on Dec 27th. Then they sent me to Vietnam in February, along with about 90% of my class.

Bear
yeah ya probably should of told them you wanted to go Vietnam, then they would of sent you to Germany. Great story though bear and congrats on your upcoming 51st.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017

Bear
I just bought 3 boneless ribeye roasts for $4.99 / lb. at Savealot. I’ll be doing them now. Gonna have a look through some of your cooks on those.

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I just bought 3 boneless ribeye roasts for $4.99 / lb. at Savealot. I’ll be doing them now. Gonna have a look through some of your cooks on those.

$4.99 ????
Did you need the Mask & the Gun???

Bear

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
$4.99 ????
Did you need the Mask & the Gun???

Bear
LOL no, Savealot often has bonesless ribeye for $4.99. Sometimes even $3.99. It’s certainly not prime but I’ve cooked them before and they are still tasty.These are Mexican beef other times it’s US raised
E88214D6-277E-42C3-A012-A53371BECAF7.jpeg

Last edited:

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
LOL no, Savealot often has bonesless ribeye for $4.99. Sometimes even $3.99.
WHAT !!! From a cow ? One nice steak cost more than that whole roast for me .

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
My area Sav-A-Lot has Ribeye Roasts on Sale... $7.99 for Select!!! How long a trip is it from Emporium, PA to your NE Ohio store?...JJ

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 7, 2017

Thanks

Don
On Christmas Eve, we do homemade pirogies and then on Christmas Day we do homemade lasagna.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.