Smoking fresh HAM HOCKS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Hello fellow smokers! While in Billings, MT last year on business I dined at a place that had something different on the menu. Smoked hocks on bed of mashed potatoes. This was a very nice restaurant and the dish was their #1 seller. I had to order it. Needless to say, it was amazing. I want to smoke some. I can get a case of hocks from my local slaughter house for cheap. Any recipe or ideas will be much appreciated. Have a good weekend and HAPPY SMOKING!!

I always get my hocks & jawls smoked when I get a whole hog from the farm. I usually use them in bean soups. Just add them into the soup and let them simmer all day long.

Scott

Reactions: Hawging It
Lots of ways to cook them. Eisbein and Golanka are really good...JJ

Cured and Smoked.
New England Boiled Dinner
Green Beans, Potatoes and Hocks
Collard Greens
Baked Beans
Bean Soup
Ham Hock Cassolet
Substitute in slow cooked dishes for Ham.

Cured but not Smoked
German Eisbein

Fresh Hocks
Golanka...Polish Beer & Honey Glaze Hocks

Reactions: Hawging It
I'm about to smoke some ham hocks I got as lagniappe from my butcher while picking up some pork liver and skin for boudin and hog head cheese...the hocks came with the feet...
IMG_20190403_103349.jpg

Look at the meat on those hock...
IMG_20190403_103411.jpg

I need the feet, but don't want to waste the hocks from a heritage breed hog in head cheese, so I'm going to cut the hocks off and smoke them.
I'm going to use my tasso seasoning:
1/4 cup table salt
1/4 cup red pepper
1/4 cup black pepper
1/2 cup granulated garlic
1/4 cup brown sugar

And smoke them with oak and pecan wood.

I can post pics. of the process, I'm cutting them tomorrow (4" of rain today...all day soaker) and putting in brine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky